Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2014, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,222 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am a 23 year old female who just graduated nursing school. My boyfriend and I are looking to move from Pa to South Carolina. I am in the nursing field and he does HVAC. We are looking for a town that is rural feel yet we can get to work in 30min or less. We want lots of land, atleast 5+ acres and housing that is on the inexpensive side. I like the mountains and would prefer to be in an area like that or close to it. We are nervous about leaving our friends and family but for personal reasons we feel this is best. We do have friends in Augusta, GA and Jacksonville, NC that are in the military so somewhere halfway between the both of them would be a major bonus. We do have a dog, which is why we're looking for a rural setting...we like the privacy and room to breathe but also would like it to be easy to meet people and get to work. Any advice??

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 05:09 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole6591 View Post
Hi all,

I am a 23 year old female who just graduated nursing school. My boyfriend and I are looking to move from Pa to South Carolina. I am in the nursing field and he does HVAC. We are looking for a town that is rural feel yet we can get to work in 30min or less. We want lots of land, atleast 5+ acres and housing that is on the inexpensive side. I like the mountains and would prefer to be in an area like that or close to it. We are nervous about leaving our friends and family but for personal reasons we feel this is best. We do have friends in Augusta, GA and Jacksonville, NC that are in the military so somewhere halfway between the both of them would be a major bonus. We do have a dog, which is why we're looking for a rural setting...we like the privacy and room to breathe but also would like it to be easy to meet people and get to work. Any advice??

Thank you!
When I think close to the mountains, I was thinking Travelers Rest. It's not halfway between those but I'm not sure you can get mountains in between the both but I maybe wrong. It's close to the mountains and you get mountain views. You can also get land there and it's inexpensive. It's 30 minutes or less to Greenville for work.

We're originally from PA I like it much better here than PA. It's normal to be nervous but life is about adventures.

FYI, Allegiant Air has cheap flights to FL from Greenville.

Good luck!

Old 06-11-2014, 05:26 PM

226 posts, read 368,778 times
I second beckycat! My husband and I are in our mid-twenties and just moved to Greenville from Aiken (right beside Augusta, on the SC side). We love it so far! Traveler's Rest is a really cool town, and really has a lot of interesting things happening but still has a pretty rural feel. Greenville is very close by, and you can be in the mountains in no time.
It is closer to Augusta though - around 2.5 hours. Jacksonville is about 5-6 hours. We have friends in Holly Ridge (between Jacksonville and Wilmington) and family/friends in Aiken. But, even though Jacksonville is a pretty long drive, there are some cool places to stop and visit in between like Charlotte and Gaffney when you're road trippin' it!

Old 06-11-2014, 07:08 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
OOPS, I just realized the OP was speaking of Jacksonville, NC, not Jacksonville, FL. I still think Travelers Rest is a good option.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:54 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times
We love it here in Travelers Rest.

HVAC is in big demand here because of all of the aironditioning in SC.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:27 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
When you look at a map, the mid point between the 2 cities is Florence or Sumter. Both are similar in size. Florence has an advantage with regard to shopping and dining. Both have a lot of rural area around them with cheap land. Both have large hospital systems however Florence has 2 major hospitals where Sumter only has 1. Neither are close to the mountains. Probably a 2+ hour drive to the mountains.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:17 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
nicole,
The deciding factor should be where the you of you can find work.
Not just one place to work in the whole town, but a variety of jobs
in both of your fields.
It's nice to like the mountains, but if you can't work, you can't eat either.
Greenville is a bigger city, so the chance that either one of you will find a job
quickly is very good.
Nurses are always in demand, and HVAC is too.
Just be prepared for a much lower pay scale here in SC.
Experienced HVAC people might make around 10 hr. so just to let you know.
New nurses will have starting salaries, so I hope you have some savings to hold
you over while you rent a small apartment when you first move here.
Don't buy.
Rent. You might not like the area you first move to, and then you can leave if
you want, you never know the opportunities that the future brings.
Good Luck to you.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:34 PM

52 posts, read 58,517 times
Athens/Commerce Ga area is another place to consider. UGA adds a lot and you are 2 hours from the Cherokee foothills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina