Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 11:41 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchucker View Post

The Congaree National Park looks cool, and it looks like the boardwalk, if not more, would be very manageable. The Savannah National Wildlife Refugee looks interesting too. I see the Visitors Center is closed Sunday, but can you still do the drive you mentioned, ranger17?
the SNWR drive should be open on Sundays, it's actually down the road from the park center anyway. We went thru there Sunday in Memorial day weekend so i'm assuming it's open 7 days a week. I'd think the park site could have more details for actual hours (seems sort of sunrise to sunset). I plopped a couple pix from that visit, what's nice is some of the areas you can pull over gives some sweet backgrounds for general photos.

Comparing Charleston to Savannah, i once heard someone saying Savannah was the little cousin; could be a decent comparison. Our fave overall spot down here for a day trip is Charleston, we go there pretty frequently. We hit Savannah a few times a year, have stayed down by the Riverwalk a couple times. In my opinion, Charleston would be the 1st choice, as long as there is time to enjoy it. Rushing thru in a couple hours, one would miss just too much. If Savannah is it, there are plenty of things to do; from walking all the 'squares', grabbing a bite at the Pirate House (yeah it's touristy, but we love the food and it has its share of history), stroll along the Riverwalk, etc...

Lastly, note that August in SC/GA can be a tad bit warmer then the NE. Especially if you're not on the beach lol. We don't mind, heck we drive with the top down all summer long. But i cant say the same for all those from the north.

Attached Thumbnails
What to see between Charlotte and Savannah in 1 day?-img_5491.jpg   What to see between Charlotte and Savannah in 1 day?-img_5542.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 04:26 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I agree. Spend the day in Charleston. Much more interesting then Columbia. Take a carriage ride. Take the ferry to Fort Sumter. Spend time at the Market Shops in downtown.

I77S to I26E to Charleston. Out of Charleston Rte.17S (Savannah Hwy) until it joins I95. If you have time then follow Rte 17 to Savannah.
^ Agree with this.
Take the extra time and do Charleston. History, great restaurants, beautiful architecture.....Charleston is a gem.
Other than the zoo in Columbia (which is top notch) not too much there.....just a typical Southeastern government town.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:06 PM

12,915 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
^ Agree with this.
Take the extra time and do Charleston. History, great restaurants, beautiful architecture.....Charleston is a gem.
Other than the zoo in Columbia (which is top notch) not too much there.....just a typical Southeastern government town.
"... Columbia..." - with the best fine art museum in the state in the Columbia Museum of Art; 400 years of the state's history under one roof at the State Museum; the early 19th-century, beautifully landscaped Horseshoe at the University of South Carolina; a beautiful capitol and capitol grounds; an interesting historic homes district; a lengthy greenway along a National Blue Trail-designated rocky river; plenty of tasty restaurants; the finest stage theater in the state; the only movie art house in the state in the Nickelodeon; a historic warehouse district with art galleries; a rooftop bar on the 17th floor of the Sheraton downtown for a 180-degree-plus view of the city from above and of the terrain of the South Carolina Midlands; and whatever else you stumble across at street level in a heavily forested and graceful capital city.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:27 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,846,204 times
Here go a few things to do in Columbia if you do choose stop by. Plus Congaree National Park.

Things to do in Columbia: Check out 50 Columbia Attractions - TripAdvisor

Old 06-18-2014, 05:38 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,958,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
"... Columbia..." - with the best fine art museum in the state in the Columbia Museum of Art; 400 years of the state's history under one roof at the State Museum; the early 19th-century, beautifully landscaped Horseshoe at the University of South Carolina; a beautiful capitol and capitol grounds; an interesting historic homes district; a lengthy greenway along a National Blue Trail-designated rocky river; plenty of tasty restaurants; the finest stage theater in the state; the only movie art house in the state in the Nickelodeon; a historic warehouse district with art galleries; a rooftop bar on the 17th floor of the Sheraton downtown for a 180-degree-plus view of the city from above and of the terrain of the South Carolina Midlands; and whatever else you stumble across at street level in a heavily forested and graceful capital city.
Even if you talk about Columbia's history Charleston has the oldest Museum and Theatre in the country. To say nothing about the amazing views from the bridge or the best restaurants in the state. And if you want to go to a National Forest we have the Francis Marion. There are also Ft. Moultrie and Ft. Sumter two rather important forts. We have beaches, we have a rather nice aquarium, which will be getting a pet the shark exhibit next year.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Even if you talk about Columbia's history Charleston has the oldest Museum and Theatre in the country. To say nothing about the amazing views from the bridge or the best restaurants in the state. And if you want to go to a National Forest we have the Francis Marion. There are also Ft. Moultrie and Ft. Sumter two rather important forts. We have beaches, we have a rather nice aquarium, which will be getting a pet the shark exhibit next year.
I didn't say to not visit Charleston. It is out of the way, though, when traveling from Charlotte to Savannah if you want to stay on the interstate. I wasn't comparing Columbia and Charleston. I only said there's no reason to not visit Columbia, because there's a lot to see here. I was defending Columbia against the kid who said there was nothing to it but the zoo.

Speaking of national parks, the only one in South Carolina is 25 minutes from downtown Columbia: Congaree National Park. There's also Harbison State Forest, Sesquicentennial State Park, and Peach Tree Rock for hiking in terrain with amazing floral and topographical variety within each park.

The giraffes eat out of your hand at Riverbanks Zoo, and you can ride a thrilling zip line from a mini-mountain of a hill to the
other side of the Saluda River down below. And then there are the gorillas.
Attached Thumbnails
What to see between Charlotte and Savannah in 1 day?-014.jpg  

Last edited by Charlestondata; 06-18-2014 at 06:01 PM..

Old 06-18-2014, 07:08 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,275 times
If you are going to Savannah, I would stop in Columbia. What to visit, the zoo, the statehouse (one of the best in the country), The Horseshoe at USC, some of the national parks, state museum, art museum, and good restaurants in the Vista. Motor Supply is terrific, Gervais & Vine is good as is Blue Marlin. Just for one meal, I would go with Motor Supply.

Charleston is nice but to go out of the way when you are going to Savannah, I would look for something different.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:16 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,537 times
I don't believe the statehouse is open on Sundays, but the grounds are nice if it's not too hot.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:39 PM

The shade is thick on the state house grounds.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:36 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,958,651 times
They are going on a Sunday? If I remember correctly that is the only day that Sweatman's BBQ in Holly Hill is open? It's one of the best BBQ places in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina