Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 12:03 AM

76 posts, read 139,695 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Seems like we have a lot of food suggestions which is great. Glad to hear there's some good BBQ available on Sunday as it seemed like a lot of places were closed. Stopping in Columbia to eat is another option, so thank you for all the restaurant suggestions there.

I don't want to start a Charleston vs. Columbia argument. No offense to Columbia, but I would probably visit Charleston if everything else was equal, as I have heard a lot more about it and always great things. However, with time as a factor and Columbia right on the way I think it's more realistic.

And I am definitely expecting the heat although I am a little anxious. The summer here in Boston is hotter than I'd like, so I can only imagine. I probably would have chosen another time of year to go to the area, but we're going for my cousin's wedding. It should be a great time anyways, no matter how sweaty I am.

Thanks for the pictures too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 05:08 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,440,060 times
Don't worry, OP. You didn't start a competition between the cities. LOL That goes on here all the time and usually includes Greenville! All three cities are just wonderful places with lots of fun stuff and a multitude of restaurants.

If you have time, especially since it is extremely hot in August, take a stroll on The Horseshoe, the historic part of the University of South Carolina campus. There are huge, old trees and historic buildings and it's a pleasant stroll even in the extreme heat/humidity.

Have a safe trip!

Old 06-19-2014, 08:17 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchucker View Post
I don't want to start a Charleston vs. Columbia argument. No offense to Columbia, but I would probably visit Charleston if everything else was equal, as I have heard a lot more about it and always great things. However, with time as a factor and Columbia right on the way I think it's more realistic.
Agreed; there's no argument that Charleston is certainly more tourist-friendly. However, Charleston would be out of the way for you guys and honestly, it deserves way more than a couple hours. You might not ever get to Savannah if you stop there first LOL. You'll have to come back in the near future for a visit to Charleston.

And although Savannah and Charleston do have their similarities, they also have different vibes. Savannah is more artsy and a little grittier, has better nightlife and is better for strolling with the awesome squares and wide streets. Charleston is a little more upscale and polished and is better for cuisine, shopping, and has more to do and see.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:30 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,440,060 times
I had another thought -- I know you said August but not specfically which Sunday.

August 24 most likely will be sorority Bid Day on The Horseshoe. If you want to experience a true Southern tradition unlike anything in Boston, head over and watch the festivities. You'll hear the yelling blocks away. LOL.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:19 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,043,586 times
I was going to add downtown Greenville as a suggestion as well. You can take a stroll downtown, grab a bite to eat and check out Falls Park. It can all be done in a couple of hours.

Falls Park On The Reedy - Greenville, SC | Attractions - GreenvilleHD.com « Greenville HD

Old 06-19-2014, 02:09 PM

12,877 posts, read 18,733,766 times
Greenville is out of the way.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:43 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I was going to add downtown Greenville as a suggestion as well. You can take a stroll downtown, grab a bite to eat and check out Falls Park. It can all be done in a couple of hours.

Falls Park On The Reedy - Greenville, SC | Attractions - GreenvilleHD.com « Greenville HD
That's way out of the way. Otherwise it would definitely be an option.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:57 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchucker View Post
Thanks for all the help everyone!

Seems like we have a lot of food suggestions which is great. Glad to hear there's some good BBQ available on Sunday as it seemed like a lot of places were closed. Stopping in Columbia to eat is another option, so thank you for all the restaurant suggestions there.

And I am definitely expecting the heat although I am a little anxious. The summer here in Boston is hotter than I'd like, so I can only imagine. I probably would have chosen another time of year to go to the area, but we're going for my cousin's wedding. It should be a great time anyways, no matter how sweaty I am.

Thanks for the pictures too!
Hope you enjoy! And you are making the right choice. Columbia and Charleston are both great cities, but, different in many ways. With a short amount of time, Columbia is the better choice. It offers better parking, and its attractions are ones that you can visit amongst themselves and get your money/times worth, like the zoo.

Charleston isn't a 1 day stop type city. By the time you get a good parking spot downtown, and walk to the good parts...you wont have time to see and do everything. And you really cant just do one thing here, unless its the beach. The downtown experience is something you need a weekend for, to see everything that may interest you. Its all kinda tied together like that.

Whereas Columbia is awesome, because when I go through, I can see the zoo, or the river park, or go to a Gamecocks game, and its easier to park, and feel like it was worth my while without having to spend a whole weekend.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:02 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,112 times
Oh, and Woodchucker, if you're in Savannah, please allow me to suggest a restaurant called The Pirate House.

Go for Sunday breakfast, its amazing. Looks like a run down shack...but, that's the point, it has amazing historical significance, they'll tell you all about the history of pirates there. The environment and vibe are just awesome if you like history. And the food is just incredible.

I visited Savannah last year, had a blast. Forsyth Park is beautiful. But can honestly say that Pirate House breakfast was the treat of the trip.

Avoid the dinner cruise on the river. Its a tourist trap. You "cruise" past ugly industrial factories, and the dinner is about 2-stars BELOW Ryan's Steakhouse. NOT worth the money. We paid 3X the money for that over the Pirate House, and the PH food and experience was 10X better.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:05 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
All keep saying Charleston is out of the way. Hold on a minute folks. If they are going Charlotte to Savannah most would go I77 south 95ish miles to I26 west (in Columbia), then 60ish miles on I26 to I95 south, then 100ish miles on I95 south to Savannah. Total of about 255ish miles.

From the intersection of I26 and I95 it is 60ish miles to downtown Charleston then 110ish miles from Charleston to Savannah. Total of 325ish miles.

A 70 mile difference. Less then 1.5 hours even if driving slow. Heck, I have driven 70 miles for a good meal then return home. Well worth the side trip.

WOOD

Rent the car a day earlier so you can get an early start and maybe keep it a day later rather then rush around so much. An opportunity awaits you. Seize it............LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina