Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 05:15 PM

76 posts, read 139,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I had another thought -- I know you said August but not specfically which Sunday.

August 24 most likely will be sorority Bid Day on The Horseshoe. If you want to experience a true Southern tradition unlike anything in Boston, head over and watch the festivities. You'll hear the yelling blocks away. LOL.
Unfortunately, it's the Sunday before that. August 17. Could be fun to check out SCU anyways though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Oh, and Woodchucker, if you're in Savannah, please allow me to suggest a restaurant called The Pirate House.

Go for Sunday breakfast, its amazing. Looks like a run down shack...but, that's the point, it has amazing historical significance, they'll tell you all about the history of pirates there. The environment and vibe are just awesome if you like history. And the food is just incredible.

I visited Savannah last year, had a blast. Forsyth Park is beautiful. But can honestly say that Pirate House breakfast was the treat of the trip.
I saw the Pirate House in a few places, and I think someone mentioned it earlier in the thread. Definitely seems like a cool place to go. I love old places like that, and definitely want to soak up the feel of the city as much as possibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Rent the car a day earlier so you can get an early start and maybe keep it a day later rather then rush around so much. An opportunity awaits you. Seize it............LOL
The day before is my cousin's wedding, so I'll be busy, and I don't really feel like paying for another day I don't need the car. Then we are going to Savannah and staying with friends for a couple days. We aren't rushing at all, really. We're going to Charlotte and Savannah for specific reasons, this thread is just about how I could turn a 4-hour car ride into a slightly more interesting day. I realize Charleston isn't that out of the way, but I feel like that would actually be "rushing around", so I was looking for smaller things to do along the way. Everything is set except for that day, and we could always just get to Savannah earlier but I thought it might be fun to do some stops instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 06:03 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
In the short run, Savannah is more interesting then Columbia so maybe the best idea is to beat feet to Savannah ASAP and enjoy Savannah.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:10 PM

12,915 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Not sure why some are so bent on making Columbia out to be unworthy of a knock-about visit. In fact it's quite worthy of a weekend stay. Columbia is interesting. Period.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:17 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Not sure why some are so bent on making Columbia out to be unworthy of a knock-about visit. In fact it's quite worthy of a weekend stay. Columbia is interesting. Period.
I agree...everyone understands that Charleston is a good tourist town, no question. But, there are plenty of things to do in and around Columbia.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:29 PM

12,915 posts, read 18,761,054 times
The conversation at the end of this article gives some perspective.

Fisher Easterling and Katie Wiseman at World of Beer - Free-Times.com

Old 06-19-2014, 09:55 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
All keep saying Charleston is out of the way. Hold on a minute folks. If they are going Charlotte to Savannah most would go I77 south 95ish miles to I26 west (in Columbia), then 60ish miles on I26 to I95 south, then 100ish miles on I95 south to Savannah. Total of about 255ish miles.

From the intersection of I26 and I95 it is 60ish miles to downtown Charleston then 110ish miles from Charleston to Savannah. Total of 325ish miles.

A 70 mile difference. Less then 1.5 hours even if driving slow. Heck, I have driven 70 miles for a good meal then return home. Well worth the side trip.

WOOD

Rent the car a day earlier so you can get an early start and maybe keep it a day later rather then rush around so much. An opportunity awaits you. Seize it............LOL
They wouldn't be doing Charleston justice to only devote a few hours to exploring the city. That's darn near torturous LOL.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:23 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,538 times
One suggestion would be head toward Charleston on 26.... but get off before hitting the city proper and tour one of the historic plantations along the Ashley river....Middleton , Drayton Hall or Magnolia...would be something very special and different for New Englanders... My first choice would be Middleton since since its a fully working plantation and they have a great restaurant on site for lunch. You can then hop on 17 south till it connects with 95... and off you go to Savannah.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:46 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
OK..OK..I am changing my mind.

If pressed for time then a stop in Columbia is worth it as it is on the way. Leg stretch walk about the State Capital grounds, walk the Horseshoe at USC, ride by USC Stadium, Piggie Park (Charleston Hwy, 10AM to 9PM Sundays) in West Columbia for a barbecue lunch (eat in) then back on I26 and off to Savannah.

At USC Stadium if you brazenly pull in the parking lot and in, no one will stop you. Had several friends I did this for and they just waked on in and took a few pics. Easy to do on a Sunday during the off season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina