Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 08:23 AM

34 posts, read 68,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
In the Charleston area you'll want to look at John's Island or Summerville. John's Island is going to be more rural.

It's a pretty common joke in Charleston about all the Ohio plates we see. The Charleston sub forum would be a better place to inquire if that's a direction you want to go. I would imagine the job market for roofing would be better in the Charleston metro area than Bluffton.

Is there a support group for Ohio transplants that live in SC? Where did you find so many to inquire?

Have not found: a support group for Ohio transplants that live in SC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 09:51 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,352,750 times
Just wondering because you said you had spoken to many Ohio transplants that live in SC... just didn't know where one would go to meet them.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:15 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyebabe90 View Post
I have been to Greenville, SC and I didn't care for it. I figured if we move, I want to live close to ocean, at least an hour the farthest. I am very good at saving money and can budget the hell out of something.

My thoughts are to find a job as a leasing agent, get a rental concession which helps with rent where I live. Then my hubby can find a roofing company to work for.

I really think Bluffton SC fits us best. I have talked to many transplants from Ohio that live in SC now and they say Bluffton hands down. My husband was offered a job in Myrtle and Charlotte and he turned down both, don't want to live there.

So bluffton it is! We are taking a trip there in Oct to check it out and interview.

I just wonder if Bluffton, SC has a "bad" area to it. Like where I live I can actually say, don't go to the "south" side of lima, its the ghetto! Have not seen any post on if there is a "bad" side.
My cousin grew up in OH and lives in Sun City Hilton Head which is in Bluffton and her husband works in Savannah, GA. I don't have any idea of the job situation in Savannah but I suspect there is more a variety of jobs there than SC's coastal towns. Start looking at online job listings for the towns you are considering. Beware of scams. They exist all over the career sites and one must be careful when looking for a job online.

I hope you like it. I was there just last month for the first time and I would like to go back and explore the area more. I love the coast but I do not want to live too close to it. It's been a long time since a very damaging storm came through there but I don't ever want to have to evacuate so Greenville suits me fine.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:21 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBob52 View Post
I'm surprised people are able to find work in Blufton / Hilton Head. Just not a whole lot going down there. Seems like you would have to work on a golf course. lol
I know. People fail to realize the business in these towns is tourist driven; most of it at low wages for the workforce.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:53 PM

34 posts, read 68,884 times
Ok if we spend rent for 850 month in bluffton SC what would other things cost.
On average
electric
Gas
Internet
water
Car ins? We have nothing on record

It would be my hubby and i we are in 40's and live pretty simple lives!
we drive a 2005 yukon and a 2001 chyrsler. I realize i wont get exact amount but just to see wht it runs on average there compared to here!

Ohio bills monthly
electric- 129
gas-50
internet-41
Water-41
Sewage-129 every 3 months
car ins- 117
Rent-650
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina