Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 03:01 PM

24 posts, read 50,009 times

Advertisements

I lived in Beaufort nearly 13 years ago....alot has changed. Hubby is in line for a job in Bluffton. The rent I am seeing is really high and the houses are on top of eachother. I love Beaufort but concerned about the schools. Have a 3rd grader and soon to be Pre-school age. Also would like a little wiggle room...so stressed lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 07:35 PM

334 posts, read 626,075 times
the only schools worth going to in all of SC are on Hilton Head. you could rent a house with 2 bed 2 baths for 1000-1600 on the island. low end. there is a condo complex called Summer ??? something we rented when 1st moved a 2 bedroom was 900 a month. We had a problem with a pit bull off lease , so we moved but I understand they cracked down on breads allowed.
they have 2 or 3 bedrooms for rent about 1400 sq ft, nice grounds and a good pool and clubhouse. MIght be a good place to begin? plus its just as you come onto the island!

Old 07-20-2014, 07:07 AM

118 posts, read 276,123 times
I disagree with the best schools only being on the island. I think both Okatie and Pritchardville are excellent public elementary school choices in Bluffton, and if you check out greatschools.org, you will see that they rank higher than the island elementary schools. I have a few friends who rent in Bluffton- 170 area, both approx. 2500 sq. feet for about $1500-1600/month. Good luck

Last edited by FLmom77; 07-20-2014 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: add

Old 07-20-2014, 05:38 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPnerd View Post
the only schools worth going to in all of SC are on Hilton Head. you could rent a house with 2 bed 2 baths for 1000-1600 on the island. low end. there is a condo complex called Summer ??? something we rented when 1st moved a 2 bedroom was 900 a month. We had a problem with a pit bull off lease , so we moved but I understand they cracked down on breads allowed.
they have 2 or 3 bedrooms for rent about 1400 sq ft, nice grounds and a good pool and clubhouse. MIght be a good place to begin? plus its just as you come onto the island!
That's the most bizarre comment Ive seen on here regarding educational issues . There isn't a school on HHI that's rated better than a 6 out of 10...and a couple 5's as well....delusional comment... there are a good number of schools rated a 9-10/10 in SC .. especially along the coast.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:58 PM

334 posts, read 626,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
That's the most bizarre comment Ive seen on here regarding educational issues . There isn't a school on HHI that's rated better than a 6 out of 10...and a couple 5's as well....delusional comment... there are a good number of schools rated a 9-10/10 in SC .. especially along the coast.

sorry, if I was out of line. I have no kids in school any longer but I do know SC schools are ranked among some of the lowest in the nation. and I was speaking of the private schools. really sorry... maybe our definition of school rankings differ? I go for the national avg.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPnerd View Post
sorry, if I was out of line. I have no kids in school any longer but I do know SC schools are ranked among some of the lowest in the nation. and I was speaking of the private schools. really sorry... maybe our definition of school rankings differ? I go for the national avg.
OK ... but that's what you said... that HHI has the best schools in the state ... which is patently false...while the schools in SC aren't well rated in general .. there are a goodly number of them that are quite well rated ... in Charleston .. Columbia ... and Greenville areas...in particular... schools rated a 5 or 6 as in HHI wouldn't be seeing my kids attending. As for private schools...while no such ratings exist... just take a look at where they ultimately go to college ...no Ivy nor poison Ivy( schools that are as academically good as the Ivys but aren't in the Ivy league..ei Stanford, Duke, Vandy, Williams ect...) .... tells you a lot about them . A good list would be USNEWS top 50.
Lets be frank about the whole issue... we here in SC .. and most of the south in general... have minority populations of between 25 and 40 % heavily rural... compared to about 6% for the rest of the country. you cant compare the educational issues we have with a Vermont with less than 1% nor Minnesota with 2%.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:42 PM

24 posts, read 50,009 times
Goodness had not been on here in a few days may end up being just me and my girls so I will have to look towards Beaufort as I won't be able to afford rent in Bluffton/Hilton Head Thank you for all your input

Old 08-01-2014, 03:53 PM

Beaufort ....you certainly could do worse ...

Old 12-03-2014, 08:07 PM

115 posts, read 325,733 times
Quote:
Beaufort ....you certainly could do worse ...
I doubt that...crime is a big issue here...many poor people here and few good jobs. I would look to move to a safer area with better schools...

Old 02-17-2016, 03:27 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,276,681 times
Quote:
OK ... but that's what you said... that HHI has the best schools in the state ... which is patently false...while the schools in SC aren't well rated in general .. there are a goodly number of them that are quite well rated ... in Charleston .. Columbia ... and Greenville areas...in particular... schools rated a 5 or 6 as in HHI wouldn't be seeing my kids attending. As for private schools...while no such ratings exist... just take a look at where they ultimately go to college ...no Ivy nor poison Ivy( schools that are as academically good as the Ivys but aren't in the Ivy league..ei Stanford, Duke, Vandy, Williams ect...) .... tells you a lot about them . A good list would be USNEWS top 50.
Lets be frank about the whole issue... we here in SC .. and most of the south in general... have minority populations of between 25 and 40 % heavily rural... compared to about 6% for the rest of the country. you cant compare the educational issues we have with a Vermont with less than 1% nor Minnesota with 2%.
Do they teach evolution in them? Climate change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina