Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 09:39 AM

8,181 posts, read 13,269,058 times

Advertisements

How does Florence compare to Spartanburg, Sumter, and Rock Hill ...If you had to rank them for first to last? I am hesitant to include in some of the other "cities" such as Mt. Pleasant, Goose Creek, Summerville, and Hilton Head because they are not your typical central cities....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 10:03 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,939,667 times
In what means are we ranking them? I would also include Anderson and Aiken in this as well.

I think Spartanburg and Anderson have benefited from being on the 85 corridor, and Rock Hill has benefited from its proximity to Charlotte and even in some aspects being more of a Charlotte bed room community...Florence and Sumter are sort of on their own in that regard but with that aside I would have to rank them this way:

Rock Hill
Spartanburg
Florence
Sumter

And if I am including Aiken and Anderson I would probably say Anderson and Florence would be about tied and Aiken would be just below that...Sumter would still be last

Old 05-28-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
In what means are we ranking them? I would also include Anderson and Aiken in this as well.

I think Spartanburg and Anderson have benefited from being on the 85 corridor, and Rock Hill has benefited from its proximity to Charlotte and even in some aspects being more of a Charlotte bed room community...Florence and Sumter are sort of on their own in that regard but with that aside I would have to rank them this way:

Rock Hill
Spartanburg
Florence
Sumter

And if I am including Aiken and Anderson I would probably say Anderson and Florence would be about tied and Aiken would be just below that...Sumter would still be last

InI guess in terms of growth, development, and amenities... you have pretty much outlined what I was thinking though in terms a ranking based on most of thes categories.

I am always disappointed when it comes to Sumter.. the City never seems to climb out of the basement in most opinion polls and informal rankings.. Ironically most Sumterites seem divided on the direction of the City.. >Most either Love It or Hate It.... both camps are equally as passionate with their love or hate...... Lot a good things have happened in Downtown Sumter.. but I guess not enough....

Old 05-28-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
InI guess in terms of growth, development, and amenities... you have pretty much outlined what I was thinking though in terms a ranking based on most of thes categories.

I am always disappointed when it comes to Sumter.. the City never seems to climb out of the basement in most opinion polls and informal rankings.. Ironically most Sumterites seem divided on the direction of the City.. >Most either Love It or Hate It.... both camps are equally as passionate with their love or hate...... Lot a good things have happened in Downtown Sumter.. but I guess not enough....
Yeah that is true for Sumter and I would have to say Florence as well in many aspects, there just isnt enough growth in either place...maybe that changes im not sure but I think to see an astronomical difference in either place will be 10 years down the road, maybe longer.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lynch View Post
Florence has seen quite a bit of growth the past 15 years.
It is growth for Florence...but its really not that much in the grand scheme of things. Florence really hasn't moved the needle all that much.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:20 PM

302 posts, read 459,569 times
It's kinda hard to quantify growth when you compare different cities...why is that you may ask. 1. Cities are not built the same, meaning some cities are built near bodies of water. 2. Some cities grow exponentially because influences from other larger principal cities. 3. Said city might have had influences and factors that cause them to grow quicker than others. Such as rich families, foundations and etc. I believe Florence is doing just find, a lot of the power structure of the state is now concentrated in the Pee Dee. Sen. Hugh Leatherman [R] Florence is chairman of the budget and control board and the Speaker of the House is from Darlington. For far to long the Pee Dee region did not have any power and I believe things will start to change soon.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lynch View Post
Ok, I personally hope Florence does not get much bigger. The appeal of it is it has some stuff but still has a country vibe to it.
I agree completely which is why I am so confused on here with some folks that all they want to see is Florence get bigger or make it out to be some big city.

Florence is what it is, it is not a major metro nor a big city, it is a big town/small city with a very small town feel to it. Trying to focus growth and development into making Florence the next big city or big metro in SC is foolish because that's just not what it is or ever going to be based of off the growth patterns. BUT bigger isn't always better...Florence's main appeal is that it does have that small town feel and highlighting that, focusing efforts on how to harness and make that appeal even better will allow Florence to blossom in its own way. Sure taking things from how Greenville developed is fine and a great idea, but trying to make Florence into Greenville is just unrealistic from a growth or population standpoint. One thing Florence needs to take away from Greenville is how it has kept its small city feel and atmosphere. They didnt set out trying to be the next Charlotte or Atlanta, they focused on being the best Greenville and one of the most appealing traits of that is the feel of being in a smaller city. So for Florence, stop trying to be a hub of growth or on the level of the big three metros and focus on Florence.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I agree completely which is why I am so confused on here with some folks that all they want to see is Florence get bigger or make it out to be some big city.

Florence is what it is, it is not a major metro nor a big city, it is a big town/small city with a very small town feel to it. Trying to focus growth and development into making Florence the next big city or big metro in SC is foolish because that's just not what it is or ever going to be based of off the growth patterns. BUT bigger isn't always better...Florence's main appeal is that it does have that small town feel and highlighting that, focusing efforts on how to harness and make that appeal even better will allow Florence to blossom in its own way. Sure taking things from how Greenville developed is fine and a great idea, but trying to make Florence into Greenville is just unrealistic from a growth or population standpoint. One thing Florence needs to take away from Greenville is how it has kept its small city feel and atmosphere. They didnt set out trying to be the next Charlotte or Atlanta, they focused on being the best Greenville and one of the most appealing traits of that is the feel of being in a smaller city. So for Florence, stop trying to be a hub of growth or on the level of the big three metros and focus on Florence.

Very true.. I guess there is "growth" in terms of amenties, retail and job opportunities and the there is "growth" in terms of population boom density etc...I think many SC cities like Sumter and Florence are seeing more of the former as opposed to the later.. I have spent a great deal of time in both Sumter and Florence and have heard people swear up and down that they would never set foot in eithers downtown especially at night... I think that has changed for both Cities for the better and is good "growth" in terms of tax base....

Old 05-30-2015, 09:21 AM

235 posts, read 527,033 times
Quote:

I think those people that say Florence doesn't want to see Florence get bigger are a little simple minded. You can grow and still keep a feel of small town but also you have to recognize that Florence is also the center of an area of a state where the unemployment rate and poverty rate are so high (Dillon, Marlboro, Williamsburg). I think people see Myrtle Beach and how they boomed over the last 20 years and fear that will happen to Florence which I don't will ever happen unless a Fortune 500 company moves there headquarters to Florence. I do believe if Florence had a similar population to Asheville, Fayetteville, or Wilmington would be beneficial of attracting companies because that is a factor in a companies decision. I do agree that Florence shouldn't get compared to the other Big 3 but the reason it does get compared is because its really the only city that's independent and not involved in another metro or not a tourist destination.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:22 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,118,250 times
I can't speak for Florence but as for downtown Sumter, it has come a long way in 10 years. Still a lot of room for improvement, but with the addition of 3 very nice restaurant/bars downtown, and the constant flow of entertainment at the Opra House and street festivals, live music, etc I have no issue with going downtown at night. And once the new hotel opens up, that will be a springboard to even more things happening downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina