Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2014, 09:26 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,694 times

Advertisements

Looking in a few years to relocate to South Carolina and purchase a full time home. I would like to get some advice for the best areas to move to that would fit my criteria:

1) Walking distance to beach
2) Area with mostly homes amongst other homes (i.e.; not overshadowed by condos, hotels/motels or "too commercial")
3) Less touristy area away from the main business center or busy section of town - do not mind having to travel a bit for groceries, gas, etc.

I plan on taking mini vacations over the next year or two and staying in different towns (motel, B&B, rented home, etc.) for a week in different places that might jibe with my desires to get a feel of the areas and see what may fit my needs. I actually may drive down for a month or so and "town hop", staying in one place then checking out after the week and proceeding to another town to check in for the next week, etc.

Also, since I am retired I am not very concerned about daily traffic congestion or normal daily travel issues on the roadways but would like NOT to live close to any main drags or highways.

THANKS!!

Last edited by luckyram; 07-31-2014 at 09:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 10:33 PM

226 posts, read 368,987 times
I would check out Edisto Island if I were you, or the surrounding areas. There are some condos in Edisto, but its a lot of beach homes. Every time I've gone its been relatively quiet (I haven't been in a few years unfortunately though!) and there is a grocery store, some restaurants, shops etc. on the island. Not much though. Pretty quiet.
There are some of the islands near Charleston you might want to check, some are gated, so they stay quiet most of the time. Wild Dunes is a really nice community.
Check out Pawley's Island too, it is a little closer to Myrtle Beach.

Good luck with your hunt!

Old 08-01-2014, 04:39 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,319 times
I second the vote for Edisto, but know that it is pretty rustic. The grocery store on the island is small, but Walterboro isn't too far of a drive.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far

Old 08-04-2014, 07:07 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,133,037 times
For walking distance and not commercialized......

Edisto $
Folly $$
Isle of Palms $$
Hilton Head (parts of it.) $$$$
Fripp $$$
Kiawah $$$$
Pawley's $$

Old 08-04-2014, 04:03 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Also not mentioned is Myrtle Beach $$
Seabrook Island $$$$$
Sullivan's Island $$$$
Bull's Bay $$$

To see and be in the thick of homes in beach communities, can I suggest VRBO - The Most Popular Vacation Rental Site in the US and https://www.wyndhamvacationresorts.com/ffr/index.do ? Both of these websites offer ocean front and beach community rentals from weekends to full month packages and this would give you the opportunity to actually stay in the neighborhoods (and away from the condos and hotels)

Old 08-04-2014, 06:17 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,133,037 times
Myrtle Beach is off the table. The OP doesn't want commercialized beaches.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:42 PM

Excellent....just what I was looking for.

Do any of these towns - Edisto, Folly, Pawley's Island or Isle of Palms get worse flooding than the others? And, if anyone is aware, what is their height above sea level.

As you can probably tell, I am very concerned about having to deal with flood insurance, especially in the future when the Feds. will not subsidize it any longer and rates will supposedly skyrocket.

I have seen some real estate listings in some of the areas mentioned where it says "certified non-floodplain"...assume that is a selling point and the reason they go through the trouble to mention it.

Thanks again.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:59 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
I've used VRBO successfully but others have been scammed. If you go this route make sure you check the people out that you are renting from. Through a Google search you may be able to verify the owner's name, etc. If you want to avoid VRBO because of the scams that have been reported on it...you can book directly with Litchfield Beach. We stay with them every time we go to the beach. Always a comfortable stay for us. We don't like crowds and felt uncomfortable in Myrtle. Litchfield is just north of Pawley's Island.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:44 AM

52 posts, read 58,561 times
Litchfield is another great spot. In the Charleston area you get the most value at Edisto, Folly, Isle of Palms and then Sullivan's Island. A lot of people live downtown, Mount Pleasant, West Ashley or James Island and drive on average 10-20 minutes to get to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina