Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 02:31 PM

4 posts, read 8,651 times

Advertisements

Okay, I am a 22 year old who is thinking about moving to South Carolina on my own. I am originally from Ohio but also lived in Pennsylvania and Louisiana.None of the places that I have lived felt right and I just feel like I would fall in love with South Carolina and it is where I am supposed to be.

I can't decided between Greenville or Charleston, for some reason they just stick out to me, but if there are any other good art cities in South Carolina too that I would like I am up for suggestion just let me know!

I want to be somewhere that has a very good art scene, since I am a freelance artist as well as well as a graphic artist. I also am a lover of music and live music so somewhere that has a good music scene as well. I guess you could call me a hipster so I want to make sure I can fit in with all my tattoos. And since I will be on my own I wanna be somewhere where people are friendly and welcoming with a good amount of people my age so maybe I could actually meet someone. I love the city life and going out to bars and what not. And of course living somewhere safe and affordable also comes into play. I love outdoors especially mountains and beaches so it's hard to choose. Any information is helpful!

So as long as there is :
-art
-music
-scenery
-nightlife
-affordability

I will love it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 02:58 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,954,615 times
The night life on King St. is top in the state I would have to say. The area is relatively affordable so long as you don't live right on the peninsula. The art/music scene is relatively vibrant especially around Picolo Spoleto. As far as scenery goes it's hard to beat sunsets in charleston.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:00 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,576,072 times
Have you been to either? If you happen to come for a visit, I would suggest coming for a First Friday art crawl in order to get a broad look at the local arts scene in Greenville. The West Village (arts district) is pretty awesome and rapid transforming. It would be a good taste and exposure IMO. There's also an Open Studios event in November and the popular Artisphere festival in May. Maybe someone else can discuss Charleston?

Old 08-01-2014, 04:11 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,229 times
Check out Charleston's restaurants and night life. You will have to look no further.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:27 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,229 times
My suggestion would be visit both and form your own opinion. Other people have their opinion and it may not be yours. My opinion there is no other place in SC that can come close to Charleston. We also have a lot of transplants from up North.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:13 PM

226 posts, read 368,739 times
I agree - Greenville and Charleston are VERY different places with very different feelings to them. Make sure to take good visits to both. The downtown areas are both awesome but for your age, I really lean towards Chucktown. One of the biggest reasons I say that is the College of Charleston is huge, has a large presence downtown, and a lot of CofC grads stay in the Charleston area, and that would give you many peers to hang out with and make friends with. Greenville is also awesome- my husband and I just relocated here for work and there is a lot going on with a developing music and arts scene here.
Also, please make sure to get a job before you come! We relocated to Greenville for work reasons, and although we are lucky that my husband is employed I am struggling to find a full time job here...I am also in graphic arts.

Good luck with your decision! Both are two beautiful places that would make great homes - we looked at both and decided to move wherever the best job offer came through for my DH and it just happened to be G-Ville!

Old 08-01-2014, 06:53 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,978,302 times
Look into the Avondale neighborhood in West Ashley, SC. Avondale is 5 minutes outside of the Charleston peninsula and it is a very hip, young, artistic crowd that thrives there. 1920's cottage style homes, raw oyster bars, pubs, and Clubs banging dubstep. Avondale is a small, close-knit community that is very active, very artsy, and very hip. Expect to be seen on a Vespa or in a Fiat and because of it's location, you are close to downtown parties, the Spoleto arts festival, the Music Farm, and many other young adult attractions. Also, Park Circle is another area full of life and a vibrant younger scene.

Our local paper is a must read for what's hip in Chucktown...
http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/

Old 08-01-2014, 07:34 PM

4 posts, read 8,651 times
No I haven't been to either it is just my intuition. I won't be able to just visit either one otherwise I wouldn't need this forum! lol But thanks for all the advice its been helpful. I am still spilt 50/50 though ahhhhh!

Old 08-02-2014, 08:01 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,349,810 times
Charleston has art, music, good food and lots of younger people. But, I've never seen or heard it referred to as hipster. Actually the last thread on these forums discussed the dislike of that culture and how it really doesn't fit in Charleston.

I'm not familiar with Greenville's hipster culture. But I do believe it has a fair amount of young people and has a proximity to Clemson. But as a general area, Greenville tends to be more conservative then Charleston. But then that's on a SC scale of conservatism.

I do believe that Greenville has a lower cost of living. Charleston tends to be one if the higher cost if living areas in the state.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:25 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,936,897 times
Columbia's a university town, and I've read it has something of an arts and music scene (as is the case in most university towns) ... you might want to include it in your visit. As I understand it, the "artsy" district is around Five Points. A friend of mine grew up in Spartanburg and said if she moved back to SC it would be to Columbia (but she's an engineer rather than an artsy type, so make of that what you will).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina