U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-29-2006, 12:09 PM

7 posts, read 23,672 times
Default Special education system

My family is contemplating a move to SC, preferably the Greenville area. My biggest concern is that my 9 year old son has severe speech, language and learning disabilities. He is in a speech and language school here in NY and I'm afraid we just won't be able to get the resources for him there that we can here. As much as I want a better quality of life for my family both financially and socially, his education is my first priority. Can anyone tell me about the special ed system or whats available to the children. I'm also concerned about the schools for my 12 year old. I've heard the south doesn't compare to the north with education. Please don't take offense this is just what I heard. My family has lots of roots in the deep south and I love the way of life. But my concern is the education. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2006, 07:31 AM

548 posts, read 1,212,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsdawn View Post
My family is contemplating a move to SC, preferably the Greenville area. My biggest concern is that my 9 year old son has severe speech, language and learning disabilities. He is in a speech and language school here in NY and I'm afraid we just won't be able to get the resources for him there that we can here. As much as I want a better quality of life for my family both financially and socially, his education is my first priority. Can anyone tell me about the special ed system or whats available to the children. I'm also concerned about the schools for my 12 year old. I've heard the south doesn't compare to the north with education. Please don't take offense this is just what I heard. My family has lots of roots in the deep south and I love the way of life. But my concern is the education. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

As I said in another post elsewhere schools vary depending on where one lives. In Greenville you have many good schools. Don't go by the "No child left behind" thing as in my opinion it isn't a indication of how good the school really is. Go to Great Schools dot com and compare schools. Do a google search on special education greenville, sc. The second link gives a name of the person in charge. Contact her.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:53 AM

14 posts, read 29,705 times
DO NOT relocate. The special education system is one of the worst in the country. You will not get the same services in SC that you get in NY.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:39 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,084,234 times
Advocacy4kids is right.
You will have to hunt down a private school for your child.
Most people pay to send their kids to private schol down south.
If you have family roots down here, then you already know this.
You will have to check out the private schools in the area where
you want to live in SC and see what is available for the budget
you can afford.
I would stay where I am at.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:23 AM

174 posts, read 208,443 times
I have a friend that moved from Va. with a special needs child years ago , to the Charleston area, and kicks herself daily. It's been a nightmare. Just to keep this short, and non-offensive, google educational standards by state, SC ranks in the bottom half, how far down I will let you find . BUT, if they don't provide good education for the general population.....?
If this move is a must, I would consider NC. Just google what services you need in which ever state, and start digging around. Best Wishes! Also, Greenville SC is about 40 min from the NC boarder, you could work in sc and live in NC. wages in SC are lower, but we do what we have to do I suppose. The town in NC would be south of the Hendersonville area.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:24 PM

480 posts, read 358,024 times
I am sick and tired of people pouring it on our state's education system. As a teacher and coach, we work our butts off for these kids. I teach Special Needs, TMD. In the past 2 years, I have had 4 kids leave the school system and get JOBS that they were trained for in my class. These are kids that nobody thinks will ever be anything or should "be in a home" somewhere. Our Special Needs teachers in this district work hard and work together to get the most of out of our students.

Also, SC is a state where EVERY kid is tested on a standardized test of some kind. In NY and in Virginia, only those that "qualify" are tested! What a joke! We're comparing apples to oranges here!

Or how about in the district where my friend teaches in North Carolina, they can only give kids a grade of 55 for the lowest grade. No matter what the kid might have actually had, could have had a 34, but nope, can only give them a 55. Here, in my SC district, if a kid makes a 34, the report card says 34. Not some smoke up the butt number to make the district and state look better.

Also in SC, you have to make 70 to pass. Most states require a 60 because they go off a college scale. But not here in SC where we make kids obtain a 70 to pass. So a kid in SC could make a 66 and fail where a kid in Arizona makes 66 and gets by with a D. Again, apples to oranges.

Our state gets an unfair rep by those that don't understand that everything IS NOT EQUAL from state to state.

Do our schools have problems? Most certainly. But it is with the fat cat superintendents and top-heavy administrations at the district and state levels where people are so far removed from the classroom, they have no idea what is going on. The problem isn't with the teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina