Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 08:27 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,428 times

Advertisements

For the OP, look at the SC towns in metro Charlotte. You are close to an international airport with over 800 flights per day, the best shopping in the Carolina's, great restaurants, Carolina's Medical Center, and the best area in the Carolina's for entertainment (local and national acts). Taxes are low in the Fort Mill area.

Outside of that, i would look at the coastal areas and Columbia.

Greenville is not bad but would not be ahead of the other areas I mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 09:06 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
Quite surprised no one has said Charleston yet. I say the greater Charleston area is the best area in the entire state.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:14 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,978,302 times
Most of the Southeastern US is in a Sub-tropical climate zone. That being said, the closer you head towards the Blue Ridge Mountains, the cooler and more temperate it becomes. The last major hurricane we had was Hugo in 1989, so they are fairly uncommon. Tornadoes occur in all 50 states but the ones we get are generally very small hardly ever getting larger than F1. And they are very rare.

As far as retirement towns in SC, my list would include:

Beaufort
Bluffton
Charleston
Hilton Head
Lancaster
Aiken
Summerville
Spartenburg
Anderson

Old 10-26-2014, 10:49 AM

52 posts, read 42,791 times
Greenville and upstate is by far prettiest part of state, near mountains and a lot more fall color, because Columbia and Charleston areally located in a pine forest.

I would say Greenville has more temperate climate than Columbia and Charleston because of its higher elevation. Columbia seems hotter than Florida at times in summer.

I think that Greenville has best looking downtown in state, a lot of trees mixed in with nice old buildings and new buildings with this incredible pediastrian bridge over a waterfall right on Main Street.. Aiken's downtown is runner up for me. CCharleston's is overrun with tourists due to being near beach.

Greenville has most if not all of chain restaurants and retailers as Charlotte, but without all traffic. I think most would chose Greenville over York county.

Last edited by OrangeBlood36; 10-26-2014 at 11:00 AM..

Old 10-27-2014, 10:47 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,349,810 times
Rock Hill/Ft. Mill (Charlotte Metro Area.. US Air Hub)
Aiken
Summerville

You might find lake front living outside Columbia, Monk's Corner, or Rock Hill interesting.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 5,127 times
Thanks for all the wonderful responses! Very helpful and very much appreciated!!!!!

Old 10-31-2014, 02:13 PM

216 posts, read 755,341 times
Why retirees love to move to SC for retirement in recent years? I don't know much about SC. From kplinger.com, I see SC still has income tax, and it is not even on the top ten retirement friendly states list. Why not move to Florida or Georgia?

Old 10-31-2014, 04:45 PM

216 posts, read 755,341 times
I totally understand the hurricane issue in Florida. Georgia seems offer more retirement income exemption than SC, and it has much large metro area such as Atlanta which will provide more services and convenience, such as airport, hospitals, shopping etc. Well, nothing against SC, definitely better than Northeast for sure, just some thoughts.

BTW, here is the link to kplinger.com retirement map, State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees-Kiplinger

Old 11-01-2014, 08:06 AM

11 posts, read 15,926 times
My husband and I are moving to Aiken from Southern California for all of the reasons you want to move, Jallene. We purchased 4 acres in Barrington Farms and will start building a house within a month. It's very exciting, and we're really looking forward to getting out of California. There are many wonderful areas of Aiken. We looked at a ton of wonderful homes, but just couldn't find the right house on the right lot, as I compete in dog agility with my border collies and need room for some training equipment. So, we decided it was best for us to buy a lot and build. Good luck with your search!

Old 11-01-2014, 12:40 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,954,615 times
Your best bet is probably Mt. Pleasant, you don't get much lower crime than there for a city that size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina