Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 01:42 PM

6 posts, read 7,512 times

Advertisements

Myrtle Beach is nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 02:10 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,156,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallene View Post
HI! My husband and I are looking to retire to South Carolina from Southern California. We are both in our 60's and active. We are looking for a friendly, nice community in a smaller to medium sized town. We want shopping, dining, and medical facilities and an airport nearby. We are spoiled by our California weather but we would like a place with temperate weather and one without frequent threats of hurricanes and tornados. It goes without saying that we want a place to live that is a low crime area and that addresses a lower cost of living and lower taxes. By the way we have never been to South Carolina so if we could just get some info to give us a running start we would appreciate it. THANKS
What you mean by an Airport nearby? What size, with service to where? I would get a list of airports, compare fares and frequency of flights to where you want to go, and start there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...South_Carolina

Old 11-02-2014, 03:42 PM

334 posts, read 625,555 times
without taking an hour or a novel to explain, and all of us being adults that realize people who vote a certain way ( generally speaking), have a particular belief system and attitude in place... I will sum SC. up like this...
If you vote republican you will love it here. If you vote independent or Democrat you will want to kill yourself.
and yes, it's that simple. The current gov is a women who has no relevance at all to what's going on with this states economy, takes credit for what few jobs have come to the state when the Senator Lindsay Graham is responsible for most of them . Taxes are good, and there is a homestead exception if you live in your home all year 4% cheaper which is a nice cut.
Hilton Head Island is ok, I mean its GOP central ( the airport has one non stop flight... to DC. LOL), but we do have up to date electronics, all our electric and phone lines are buried, and the island is very ecology conscience... now. THey did kill off almost all the deer last year but that's being blamed on the poor service industry folks and no jobs anymore . Bad economy, no money = no vacations and if that happens there are huge lay offs here.
Greenville is a nice place, but it is a college town, just north of there right on the NC line are a couple of towns with great temps ( they lay in a thermal belt), beautiful views, and friendly, warm southern people. )
After saying this, and understanding the climate, and taxes in Calif. I have to think you might be happier in NC. either Ashville, or the Raleigh NC area... esp north raliegh. there is a cute little town Wake Forest NC that might be exactly what you're talking about.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:44 PM

334 posts, read 625,555 times
mt pleasant is packed! plus, they said NO hurricanes. the only place on the east coast of SC that hasn't had a major storm in like 100 yrs is Hilton Head... but to me, no storms means No coast???

Old 11-05-2014, 07:59 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,094,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallene View Post
HI! My husband and I are looking to retire to South Carolina from Southern California. We are both in our 60's and active. We are looking for a friendly, nice community in a smaller to medium sized town. We want shopping, dining, and medical facilities and an airport nearby. We are spoiled by our California weather but we would like a place with temperate weather and one without frequent threats of hurricanes and tornados. It goes without saying that we want a place to live that is a low crime area and that addresses a lower cost of living and lower taxes. By the way we have never been to South Carolina so if we could just get some info to give us a running start we would appreciate it. THANKS
We moved to Greenville from Burbank almost 8 years ago and LOVE it. Check out Greenville.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:45 PM

4 posts, read 4,164 times
I left San Diego a year ago and picked Charleston because I wanted to be by the ocean, warm climate and more affordable real estate, lower COL, etc. Voted best city in US many times and it's a great city. I bought a house in Mount Pleasant - very safe and only a bridge away from downtown Charleston. But it is expensive for SC but still a lot cheaper than San Diego. It's okay here but can't compare the beauty of CA to here. Also last winter was very cold (yes, to a Californian). I miss CA so much and am planning to move back eventually. Trade offs - so what is better - live in the state you love and have less of a house with high property taxes or have an amazing house here in Mt Pleasant but be on the east coast which I don't resonate with. That's my dilemma right now. But if you're worried about hurricanes, go inland. btw vegetables and fruit are so much more expensive here which surprised me. I am trying to like it but am ready to put my house on the market. But if I had to live on the east coast, this is the nicest area to me.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:08 AM

1 posts, read 825 times
Greenville is not a college town. There only two really small private colleges there..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina