U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2014, 07:53 AM

8,948 posts, read 7,721,438 times

Advertisements

I got bit myself. Around Columbia, in 95% of all gas stations, cash and debit card gas prices are the same. Credit cards a bit higher in some. I pulled into one place off of I20. Not paying attention I swiped my debit card and started to pump. Then I noticed it was at the higher price. I needed gas so I kept going. When done I went inside and asked. I was told the lower price was cash only. Debit cards did not count as cash. I made note and moved on down the road.

Was in Bluffton recently and I saw some stations with "club member" pricing being the lowest. I am not familiar with that pricing model. Can someone explain it to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 11:05 AM

19,983 posts, read 18,910,163 times
Some merchants are charged a fee for each electronic funds transfer sale involving debit and credit cards. They pass on the costs to the consumer with higher prices for debit and credit transactions to recoup expenses.

Sam's Club and Costco have membership pricing for their members purchasing gas. You have to be a member to use its gas station and receive membership pricing.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:07 AM

9,911 posts, read 9,298,562 times
My. daughter shops at Bi Lo Grocery Stores and they have some kind of Bonus Fuel Perks program. Gasoline here dropped to $1.98 a gallon just before Christmas and with her Bi Lo perks she paid $1.93 a gallon. I don't shop at Bi Lo so I am not familiar with the program I have just heard her comment on it.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:59 AM

693 posts, read 1,106,074 times
Most places that I know of around here will charge the cash price for debit card use if you swipe inside the store. The same does not seem to apply for credit card use, however, and there is supposed to be a posted notice if the station treats the debit card the same as credit. Using a debit card inside also helps to avoid "holds" and skimmers that can be used to gain your card information.

As for Bi-lo, we shop there and Publix. With the Bi-lo fuel perks, we average around 20-25 cents off per gallon between shopping trips.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:06 PM

6,269 posts, read 18,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I got bit myself. Around Columbia, in 95% of all gas stations, cash and debit card gas prices are the same. Credit cards a bit higher in some. I pulled into one place off of I20. Not paying attention I swiped my debit card and started to pump. Then I noticed it was at the higher price. I needed gas so I kept going. When done I went inside and asked. I was told the lower price was cash only. Debit cards did not count as cash. I made note and moved on down the road.

Was in Bluffton recently and I saw some stations with "club member" pricing being the lowest. I am not familiar with that pricing model. Can someone explain it to me?
Sorry you got bit! I will not buy gas at a station that charges a premium when I use my credit card. There are more stations that don't practice this deception than do, near me. I rarely leave town! I recently stopped at a BP station to use a coupon I'd gotten when I shopped at Kmart. If I had used my debit card at that station they would have put a $100 hold on my account. I will never buy anything from this station.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:12 PM

11,817 posts, read 26,787,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Sorry you got bit! I will not buy gas at a station that charges a premium when I use my credit card. There are more stations that don't practice this deception than do, near me. I rarely leave town! I recently stopped at a BP station to use a coupon I'd gotten when I shopped at Kmart. If I had used my debit card at that station they would have put a $100 hold on my account. I will never buy anything from this station.
I had that $100 hold happen on my card at Pilot. I think these gas stations that do that cash and card price are deceiving. They put a cheap price up and they just hope people pull in and don't realize it. Especially, if you are from out of town, you don't realize it until it's too late. Spinx is one of them and I refuse to buy gas from them. It's a difference of .20 cents or more a gallon.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:47 AM

693 posts, read 1,106,074 times
It is deceiving when they advertise the lower cash price on their overhead signs instead of the credit card price. Unsuspecting consumers may pull into the station expecting to receive the advertised cash price and then be duped into paying ten cents or more per gallon. I do understand the need to charge a bit more since the stations indeed are charged per gallon -- and possibly even a percentage on top to process the credit card. Therein lies the problem. They should not be allowed to charge the extra fee per gallon, or even be charged that much to process the card per gallon. The interchange fee should should be per swipe, not per gallon.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:33 AM

8,948 posts, read 7,721,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I had that $100 hold happen on my card at Pilot. I think these gas stations that do that cash and card price are deceiving. They put a cheap price up and they just hope people pull in and don't realize it. Especially, if you are from out of town, you don't realize it until it's too late. Spinx is one of them and I refuse to buy gas from them. It's a difference of .20 cents or more a gallon.
Spinx in my area is the cheapest gas around for cash or debit card (same price) so I use my debit card to buy gas there all the time.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:38 PM

362 posts, read 899,314 times
The Bi-Lo fuel perks program is quite good. We've only been living here for 3 weeks and I accumulated enough points on it to save 95 cents off per gallon. Cashed in the points today and only paid $18.00 to fill up with premium! You can read about it on their website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina