U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:01 PM

7 posts, read 22,323 times

Advertisements

And before I forget, I should also mention, in response to some of the other posts, that I attended the gay pride event in Columbia last fall. I also attend the Lutheran church in our neighborhood, and have made several (many actually) gay men and women in the community.

Thus far, Columbia has been extremely welcoming (both straights and gays). The pride event was better organized and attended than the one in Austin, Texas (another blue spot in a red state, and noted for its openness).

All that said, we don't cram our sexual orientation down peoples' throats; nor do we hide it. We simply live our lives the way we believe people should. Our experience in the last several months of living here is that there is a "live and let live" mentality - certainly amongst those people to whom I would refer as friends. In fact, we hosted the neighborhood Christmas party this past December, and I can honestly say that of the 250+ gay and straight people there, not a single one was rude, or the least be defamatory.

I'm just saying...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 06:19 PM

7,995 posts, read 6,926,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpking99 View Post
This is slightly off topic, but since I think I started this debate several months ago prior to relocating here, I'm posting my question here as well..

My partner and I live downtown in Columbia (Earlewood) and are looking for a general physician. We saw a very good, proactive doctor (who was also gay) in Austin. I'm trying to find a gay male doctor here. We're both generally healthy, but take cholesterol medication and need a new script.

I don't want to out anyone here, but if anyone knows of an openly gay doctor that's taking new patients, I'd appreciate a referral...
As a gay man myself, just curious, why do you need a gay doctor? My partner and I both go to the same doctor, he knows we are gay, we can talk openly to him and he is a straight man. I find it sad as a gay man anytime I have to pigeonhole myself into finding a "gay this" or "gay that". I just want people to be cool and accepting.....who cares if they are straight or gay.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:56 PM

78 posts, read 144,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Savannah and Atlanta, while in Georgia, are also quite modern and rich in heritage and culture, also not "gay". Good luck.

You are writing complete lies now. I now see why others on this forum hate you so much and want you out.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,919 times
I am looking for a gay FRIENDLY doctor for my partner and I around Easley. I've been needing a check-up for a while. The last doc I visited in greenville spent 45 minutes lecturing me on the dangers of anal sex and had the nurse pass me a religious pamphlet... none too keen on that...

As one of the top google searches I figured this forum worth a shot (even with the old post dates)

Old 01-28-2011, 09:58 AM

7,995 posts, read 6,926,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlianJon View Post
I am looking for a gay FRIENDLY doctor for my partner and I around Easley. I've been needing a check-up for a while. The last doc I visited in greenville spent 45 minutes lecturing me on the dangers of anal sex and had the nurse pass me a religious pamphlet... none too keen on that...

As one of the top google searches I figured this forum worth a shot (even with the old post dates)
Greenville has numerous holistic doctors and most all are gay friendly. My partner and I have a doctor on Augusta Street that is totally gay friendly. Probably further than you would want to drive. PM me if you want his name.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:58 PM
JS1

1,899 posts, read 3,980,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlianJon View Post

seriously? how sad

Old 03-11-2012, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Greenville has numerous holistic doctors and most all are gay friendly. My partner and I have a doctor on Augusta Street that is totally gay friendly. Probably further than you would want to drive. PM me if you want his name.
I tried to PM you, but I couldn't. Would you please email or PM me the name of the doctor on Augusta St.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,087 times
I'd say you're alright in the major cities like Greenville or Columbia but going out into the 'country' can be dangerous. I've lived in a small town called Clinton, about 30 minutes away from Greenville, my entire life and it's rather sickening. They don't just disapprove of us, if you're 'out' here there is still a good chance of being jumped or worse. It's given me a great appreciation for city life.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:34 PM

19 posts, read 27,484 times
I lived in Myrtle Beach for a while and was surprised to find it extremely anti-gay (hard to label everyone... just talking about a general vibe). Have you considered the Charlotte, NC, area? It's becoming increasingly more liberal and I have several gay friends who love living here.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:32 AM

7,225 posts, read 5,694,281 times
The City of Columbia is shutting down two blocks of Main Street this year not only for the LGBT parade but for the whole PRIDE festival that takes place in October. That's pretty gay-friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina