U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-14-2007, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Fort Lauderldale, Florida
26 posts, read 125,030 times
Reputation: 34
I have a gay friend that lives in Greenville, from what he has told me, there is a gay population. They are not "out" in Greenville as in other cities or states. He has lived there for 5+ years. There is a group that sponsers a monthly social and potluck with about 20-30 people, which I am sure represents a minority of the actual population.

Just in case anyone wants to know statistics about the gay population, please go to gaydemographics.org Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-14-2007, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Asheville NC
109 posts, read 268,217 times
Reputation: 27
http://www.gaydemographics.org/USA/Maps/Mugs/SC_cou_pct.gif (broken link)

Greenville doesn't look good to me, better off farther south. But it's not the best choice for Christian Exodus either.
Christian Exodus ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2007, 11:33 PM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,125 posts, read 21,174,203 times
Reputation: 4706
Quote:
Originally Posted by SClady View Post
I am tired of reading about those of us who believe and accept God's word and try to live our lifes according to the Bible are closed minded, ignorant or uneducated. I am not any of the three. If you can prove to me there is no God and that there will be no judgement day, I will be happy to listen to your beliefs. SC is in the Bible belt so if you don't like the way we live there are many states that might suit you better. I don't hate gays many of my friends are gay. I don't try to change them, I just accept them for who they are. I don't agree with them but it isn't my place to judge them, because I could be wrong. I just couldn't myself fall in love with someone that had the same equipment as me. Come on down to SC but don't try to make us feel stupid because we believe God.
_________________

Ok, you sound like someone who is "not the norm" as far as what some gay people I know have run into. Be reasonable for just a moment and not defensive because I won't beat up on you about your religion; but, haven't you seen an attitude among SOME vocal people who ID themselves down here as "Christians", where if they don't like something their mentality is "we're gonna get rid of it!". Whereas in other parts of the U.S. you may find more of a, "live and let live" mentality regarding race or sexuality, in the south you do sometimes, find more pockets of intolerance by people who claim to be true Christians but who hardly seem to be showing a love-your-fellow-man attitude. At least admit that this does happen more down here. You may not be that way, but it does happen. So it does stand to reason as to why the south gets a bum rap sometimes because you do see it a bit more here, even if it doesn't represent the majority.

That being said, didn't Greenville SC actually a few years ago go out of their way to announce a city "resolution" that said to the effect that, "homosexuality does not reflect the moral beliefs of the citizens of Greenville", or something odd like that - like the city leaders could speak for everyone there. I think it was during one of the times in the past when southern city leaders were scared crapless that all the lesbians in the world were going to get married or something, so some of them were coming up with announcments, resolutions, and trying to pass laws. Anyway, I remember Greenville SC stood out as doing it on the news one night.

On the flip-side, go down to Charleston and you'll find tons of gay people. There's lots of "old south" traditional stuff too, but it's a hugely touristy area and there are a lot of gay business owners there. I figure the city leaders there know if they ticked them off and they packed up and moved it would destroy at least a third of their business/tourist trade, so the climate there seems to be a lot more tolerant from what I've heard. Never heard rumors about Columbia other than that it's boring as all get out there.

Of course outside of SC you have areas like Charlotte and Atlanta with very large gay communities, but also with large "childless couple" types of neighborhoods as well. You don't HAVE to move into a gay neighborhood in order to avoid Brady Bunch types of areas in cities like that. I'm single, very liberal minded but not gay, but do have gay friends, and there are plenty of places like that in the larger areas with others like that (married couple who fall into that category as well). You'll just have to look around. But you aren't going to be able to move into the burbs of a smaller southern area and have it not just completely revolve around kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2007, 03:41 AM
Yac
 
4,282 posts, read 3,569,809 times
Guys, remember to talk about the topic and not insult each other. Please.
Yac.
__________________
Forum Rules
City-Data.com homepage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2008, 07:02 PM
 
1 posts, read 12,881 times
Reputation: 10
smith7, I completely understand your concerns. I am a 40 year old professional gay man who recently received a job offer in Myrtle Beach. I currently live in Southern California, and while the offer is substantial, I am having a hard time finding information about area. I don't feel the need to march in every parade however I want to know I will feel comfortable and welcome in the community. Any insight you may have would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2008, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Cumberland Valley, PA, & Greenville, SC, USA
5,409 posts, read 9,168,422 times
Reputation: 2245
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
_________________

...That being said, didn't Greenville SC actually a few years ago go out of their way to announce a city "resolution" that said to the effect that, "homosexuality does not reflect the moral beliefs of the citizens of Greenville", or something odd like that - like the city leaders could speak for everyone there. I think it was during one of the times in the past when southern city leaders were scared crapless that all the lesbians in the world were going to get married or something, so some of them were coming up with announcments, resolutions, and trying to pass laws. Anyway, I remember Greenville SC stood out as doing it on the news one night...
Before speaking out against an entire city, perhaps you should have your facts in line first. The statement above carries no weight because it is not founded on truth. While Greenville doesn't go out of its way to attract gays, it welcomes them just the same as any other person. If you think that Greenville has immunized itself of all homosexual association think again. There are quite a lot of gays and lesbians living here. Take it from a long-time resident of the city who knows first hand, many things have changed in Greenville within the past couple of decades, and many more things are changing annually right now. Don't look at statistics from past years and assume everything is just as it was. That would be a huge mistake. Greenville is the epitome of positive change in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2008, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
4,912 posts, read 8,235,883 times
Reputation: 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Before speaking out against an entire city, perhaps you should have your facts in line first. The statement above carries no weight because it is not founded on truth. While Greenville doesn't go out of its way to attract gays, it welcomes them just the same as any other person. If you think that Greenville has immunized itself of all homosexual association think again. There are quite a lot of gays and lesbians living here. Take it from a long-time resident of the city who knows first hand, many things have changed in Greenville within the past couple of decades, and many more things are changing annually right now. Don't look at statistics from past years and assume everything is just as it was. That would be a huge mistake. Greenville is the epitome of positive change in the South.
Skyliner, the previous statement was correct. Greenville County Council enacted an ordinance about 10 years ago stating that gay and lesbian people were not compatible with the standards of their community. You can put as much lipstick on that pig as you want to, but that statement has not been repealed by your County Council and neither Greenville city nor county have an anti-discrimination ordinance that includes discrimination protection based on sexual orientation. Until Greenville City or County government does something tangible I don't know how anyone can say that are is gay friendly in any way. Columbia and Charleston both do have such an ordinance and candidates in city elections know they can't win without at least some support in the lgbt community.

Back to the posters who have asked for gay-friendly areas in South Carolina, I would recommend any in-town neighborhood in Columbia, especially Shandon, Melrose Heights, Cottontown, Elmwood Park, Earlewood Park and Keenan Terrace. In Charleston I can recommend the West Ashley area, though I don't know the neighborhoods as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2008, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
4,912 posts, read 8,235,883 times
Reputation: 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by life lessons View Post
smith7, I completely understand your concerns. I am a 40 year old professional gay man who recently received a job offer in Myrtle Beach. I currently live in Southern California, and while the offer is substantial, I am having a hard time finding information about area. I don't feel the need to march in every parade however I want to know I will feel comfortable and welcome in the community. Any insight you may have would be appreciated.
Myrtle Beach has a small semblance of an organized gay community, but nothing like Columbia and Charleston. MB is a very transient area with many people from all over so I don't think you'll have any problems there. I think there is an MCC there and a few gay bars and I believe a group is trying to raise money to open a community center in MB. Right now, the only Gay and Lesbian Community Center in the state is in Columbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2008, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Cumberland Valley, PA, & Greenville, SC, USA
5,409 posts, read 9,168,422 times
Reputation: 2245
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Skyliner, the previous statement was correct. Greenville County Council enacted an ordinance about 10 years ago stating that gay and lesbian people were not compatible with the standards of their community. You can put as much lipstick on that pig as you want to, but that statement has not been repealed by your County Council and neither Greenville city nor county have an anti-discrimination ordinance that includes discrimination protection based on sexual orientation. Until Greenville City or County government does something tangible I don't know how anyone can say that are is gay friendly in any way. Columbia and Charleston both do have such an ordinance and candidates in city elections know they can't win without at least some support in the lgbt community.

Back to the posters who have asked for gay-friendly areas in South Carolina, I would recommend any in-town neighborhood in Columbia, especially Shandon, Melrose Heights, Cottontown, Elmwood Park, Earlewood Park and Keenan Terrace. In Charleston I can recommend the West Ashley area, though I don't know the neighborhoods as well.
What would you say to the many gays and lesbians living in Greenville today who do feel welcome here - in a friendly way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2008, 10:42 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
4,912 posts, read 8,235,883 times
Reputation: 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
What would you say to the many gays and lesbians living in Greenville today who do feel welcome here - in a friendly way?
I'd tell them to get off their tails and organize and get the city and county to recognize that the gay community should be supported in the same way that the rest of the community is supported. At least see that they get that homophobic county declaration repealed, if nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top