Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2008, 07:28 AM

2 posts, read 4,722 times

Advertisements

I am a teacher with 2 teenagers who is looking to possibly relocate to SC. I am interested in a good school for my son who is in high school. I am also interested in their sports programs. Daughter is heading to college in Florida, but too hot down there to live year round.
I heard Conway is a nice area. I'm interested in renting only for now and finding a teaching job in the area.
Any honest suggestions would be deeply appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 07:28 PM

882 posts, read 3,531,089 times
Sharlene:

If what I've heard still holds true, you should be able to find a teaching position somewhere within the Horry County School system. Over the last couple years, several new schools have opened... Have a look at this website for more info.. Employment

Conway is a nice area, however, like ANY town in ANY state, there are nice areas, not so nice areas, and bad areas. I'm sure that you can find rental property that works within your budget. I'm not up to speed on the schools in Conway, but I know that there HS football team is pretty tough.. As far as the academics, I'm of little help.

Good luck and keep this in the back of your mind.. there are PLENTY of great folks here who can provide huge amounts of great information and assistance when/where you need it!

Old 01-14-2008, 09:33 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,859,170 times
rrufast's assessment of Conway is pretty good & unfortunately I cannot add too much to it. However, you may want to look at Georgetown or Pawleys Island.

Waccamaw HS is very good with a decent sports program. Football team is not as good as some of the other sports but they were better this year than last! Georgetown has a good sports program but the academics are not as strong as WHS. Carver's Bay foorball team went to the state finals (or semifinals?).

The City of Georgetown has some very nice areas & some that are not so nice but Ithink the downtown historic district is great. They have the riverwalk and nice little shops. The county is getting ready for some huge growth over the next decade and getting a teacher's job now will prudent.

School district: GCSD Homepage
Georgetown county: Georgetown County South Carolina
The Georgetown Times news paper: Georgetown Times

Good luck.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,722 times
Thanks for the information. I am interested in Conway, but what areas should I avoid? Relocating to an unfamilar area, I need all the information I can get to help guide my decisions and to get the ball rolling. I'm looking to move in June of this year.
I want a safe neighborhood for my son and I.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:25 AM

27 posts, read 89,339 times
my family just looked around conway north myrtle area and trying to re-
locate this summer as well. was not to keen on the hard rock theme park and the projected numbers they expect ( 35,000 people a day) and also saw how international drive is going to connect somewhere off rt 90. wife loved downtown conway area but not sure about life near 501 is going to be with all the new developments surrounding this well used roadway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina