U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:50 PM

6 posts, read 28,886 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My hubby, 2 preschool children and I are considering a coastal move--he is originally from Florida and I from Wisconsin. We currently live in the foothills of NC. Are there any coastal areas (or within 45 minutes) that still have a low crime and drug rate? Good healthcare? Good schools? and a friendly community feel? Also reasonable cost of living--decent home for around $200K? Thanks for your help!!! Chelliw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 07:16 PM

4 posts, read 23,065 times
Default Myrtle Beach SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHELLIW View Post
Hi everyone! My hubby, 2 preschool children and I are considering a coastal move--he is originally from Florida and I from Wisconsin. We currently live in the foothills of NC. Are there any coastal areas (or within 45 minutes) that still have a low crime and drug rate? Good healthcare? Good schools? and a friendly community feel? Also reasonable cost of living--decent home for around $200K? Thanks for your help!!! Chelliw
Hi I'm Cindy,
I'm a realtor here in myrtle beach sc area... may I suggest a few places? Georgetown sc is a small community with old docks and historical homes... there is a paper mill in the town which makes the prices reasonable. I live in North Myrtle Beach and love it. It has less tourist and is close to everything. Little River and Cherry Grove are right down the road, still have great deals right now on properties.
Hope it helps,
Blessings
Cindy

Old 01-16-2008, 10:33 PM

330 posts, read 833,846 times
You could also take a look at the suburbs of Charleston SC. It's beautiful here.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:44 PM

1,693 posts, read 6,092,298 times
We moved from NY to Pawleys Island and have really found a home here. There is a nice mixture of transplants & locals and everyone has been very friendly. Murrells Inlet is another nice town with similar attributes.

The schools here are very good, as a matter of fact, the high school just made the finalists in the Palmetto Gold schools.

Twelve schools selected as finalists for Carolina First Palmetto's Finest Awards - Wednesday, January 16, 2008

It may be hard to find a home under $200k, you may have more luck in Murrells Inlet or Georgetown.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:38 AM

2,357 posts, read 337,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinasia View Post
Georgetown sc is a small community with old docks and historical homes... there is a paper mill in the town which makes the prices reasonable.
In other words, you'll get to smell sulfur dioxide when the wind blows in your direction. Georgetown seems nice, but I'd have a hard time dealing with that paper mill.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:46 AM

582 posts, read 1,803,006 times
Summerville is a cute town--a suburb of Charleston. I lived there when I was in Elementary school--so I have a 'everything was great' view because I was a kid. I have been back twice as an adult just to drive through the area and it is still cute. I am unsure about schools (it only had 1 HS when I lived there, Summerville High), crime, or the economy.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:49 AM

4 posts, read 22,112 times
Default More about the Georgetown area

Here's a great Squidoo lens that has a lot of information about Georgetown.
Hope this helps!

Georgetown, SC on Squidoo

Old 01-22-2008, 10:49 PM

4,299 posts, read 10,230,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinasia View Post
Hi I'm Cindy,
I'm a realtor here in myrtle beach sc area... may I suggest a few places? Georgetown sc is a small community with old docks and historical homes... there is a paper mill in the town which makes the prices reasonable. I live in North Myrtle Beach and love it. It has less tourist and is close to everything. Little River and Cherry Grove are right down the road, still have great deals right now on properties.
Hope it helps,
Blessings
Cindy

Now Georgetown comes up alot on the front page of Myrtlebeachonline for crime. I agree with N Myrtle Beach, Cherry Grove, Little River, also throw in Calabash and even Carolina Forest Myrtle Beach.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:48 AM

1 posts, read 16,642 times
calabash has alot of crime? we were looking to relocate to that area from upstate ny any info would be great.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:05 PM

207 posts, read 659,282 times
We live in Summerville (as mentioned above...outside of Charleston) and we love it. It has a small town feel, but its growing quickly! There are a lot of family oriented neighborhoods around here and the school district is great (Dorchester 2.) We're about 45 min. from the beach...so you could definitely make the trip on weekends...but we get the warm (hot sometimes) coastal climate. I the crime rate is pretty low...but don't know the exact stats. You can definitely find good homes here for around $200K. There is definitely good health care (in Summerville as well as in downtown Charleston at MUSC).

I agree with above post...I wouldn't want to live in Georgetown either. I know there is a historic part...and there are people who love it...but you can smell that paper mill from miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina