U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 01:48 PM

6,482 posts, read 5,801,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
Your read my mind…I'm not staying though.
I may move too depending on where a job for me is after college, but that doesn't mean I have to leave my state behind. I'm not going to move just because that guy says so. And even if I move, my family will always be here, and I was raised here, so I'll always have SC ties.

And SC is a state that deserves better. Whether I cease living here or not, I'll always want better for the people of the state that raised me and will do what I can to get that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 02:09 PM

252 posts, read 329,212 times
Jandrew,

I never told you to leave. I said that people can move to another state if the job scene here isn't what they want. Many people don't get job offers in the state they would prefer to live in.

I didn't see your proposed solutions but rather a litany of complaints. A lot of your complaints are based on per capita statistics which always make smaller population areas look worse than they are.

I'd like to see your solution to domestic violence because I doubt the punishment for domestic abuse in SC is lax and is quite a bit of jail time. People are not taught in SC that beating women is ok so the issue has literally nothing to do with the state of SC.

You could move the problem students in SC to the good schools in other states and they are still going to be problem students. Doesn't have anything to do with the education. 1st through 12th isn't that hard if the kid puts some effort into it.

I sure see a lot of office parks in the 3 main metroes, Aiken and York County. I stated that nobody is opposing office based jobs and the state provides all kind of tax incentives for companies to come here. You act like the companies have no choice and where they locate isn't based on being near their client base which is often in big metroes, plus the need to be near a large airport.

Do you propose fast food and sodas are banned?

It is interesting that you say that you grew up in SC, which means you went to SC schools. Then you say our education is terrible. Does that mean you are uneducated? I went to SC schools, I think that I do ok. If thousands of SC students can go onto success in life, isn't that proof SC schools are not bad?

Last edited by Gamecock Student; 05-08-2015 at 02:32 PM..

Old 05-08-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Student View Post

You could move the problem students in SC to the good schools in other states and they are still going to be problem students. Doesn't have anything to do with the education. 1st through 12th isn't that hard if the kid puts some effort into it.
...Are you seriously saying SC has bad education ranks because "1st graders aren't putting in enough effort?" Wow...wow...stop blaming everything on students. The students are not to blame. South Carolina legislation and history is to blame. Come back when you have some research, instead of using blind assumptions on the students. Kids in Connecticut and Colorado arent "trying harder" than South Carolina kids, their states just give them more to work with. SC actually cut down on spending per pupil. That is not going to help. Look at what kids in central Lexington (Lexington, Irmo, Lake Murray) have to work with versus kids in southern Lexington (Gaston and Swansea). Look at what kids in Berkeley and Dorcehster get versus kids in Colleton and Orangeburg.

Look at the conditions of schools in Richland County versus Calhoun County. Look at Beaufort County versus Jasper County. Look at Greenville County versus Abbeville County. NONE of that is students fault. California has alot of "problem students" and they even have a higher dropout rate than South Carolina, yet the American Legislative Exchange Council ranks South Carolina 51st and California 27th in education. Obviously even with a "higher" dropout rate, Cali has more educational focus than SC does. That is NOT the fault of "problem kids." And it all works in a system. Give better education to these kids and maybe they won't be such a "problem." Educating people better with literal education and social education, and maybe we wont have such high domestic violence and obesity rates. If we educate people on why beating your wife is not good and why having a fried chicken and McDonalds only diet is not good, then things will change. For the better.

Education (and health) is not a hard concept, but it is a concept that hasnt been given proper attention around here. And we won't get anywhere if people have the attitude you have. Geez. Blaming the students. I hope you don't become a teacher. These are kids that are 4-18, they can't do most things themselves, they need adult help and guidance, and they need positive influences to help put them down a postive path, but you want to blame them? A 12 year old sixth grader than has D's and keeps getting detention: lets just blame him for it and let him survive on his own, because hes a "problem child", rather than try to find outlets, motives, and help for that 6th grader to help him get back on track and help him become a success.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:34 PM

So people don't know that beating women is wrong? They need to be educated on this? I'm skeptical.

I am also skeptical that you can educate somebody who doesn't know beating women is wrong.

I don't think anybody who eats fast food thinks it is good for them.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:

I sure see a lot of office parks in the 3 main metroes, Aiken and York County. I stated that nobody is opposing office based jobs and the state provides all kind of tax incentives for companies to come here. You act like the companies have no choice and where they locate isn't based on being near their client base which is often in big metroes, plus the need to be near a large airport.

Do you propose fast food and sodas are banned?

It is interesting that you say that you grew up in SC, which means you went to SC schools. Then you say our education is terrible. Does that mean you are uneducated? I went to SC schools, I think that I do ok. If thousands of SC students can go onto success in life, isn't that proof SC schools are not bad?
Will you just please stop bothering me? You obviously have no idea what youre talking about. Yes I went to SC schools, but if you werent aware, not everything is the same across the board! I was fortunate enough to be educated in one of the top school districts and high schools in the state. But I am not BLIND. I am aware that there are other districts, schools, and students that aren't so lucky.

Stop being an idiot. Yes lets ban all soda and fast food. You are a piece of work. I just had McDonalds yesterday. BUT YOU CANT EAT THAT STUFF ALL THE TIME. And unfortunately for many South Carolinians, that is all they can afford. I want to do something to help them be able to afford better meals so they will not develop health problems down the road.

I'm done with the office talk. You keep twisting what I say. Please just go away. You're trying to work my nerves on purpose.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:45 PM

You keep complaining about people eating junk food. I asked what your solution is? It seems like you would have to ban junk food to solve the problem as you see it.

I don't think fast food is cheaper than what you can get in the grocery store. For example, a large coke at McDonalds is 2 bucks. You can get a 2 liter non-sugar drink in the grocery store for less than 2 dollars.

I know several people in college that went to high school in rural areas and they are doing fine in their studies.

I'm just trying to have a conversation with you. You made several controversial statements that I think don't hold up under scrutiny.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:59 PM

130 posts, read 153,748 times
It waited. Impressive. Just check the post history.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:09 PM

130 posts, read 151,487 times
Quote:
So people don't know that beating women is wrong? They need to be educated on this? I'm skeptical.

I am also skeptical that you can educate somebody who doesn't know beating women is wrong.

I don't think anybody who eats fast food thinks it is good for them.
This older article in the City Paper has a good overview of where SC falls nationwide in terms of domestic violence: Advocates Say Culture, Courts Partly to Blame. The Post & Courier just won a Pulitzer Prize for a very in-depth look at domestic violence here: Til Death Do Us Part. It's a problem.

Jandrew5, if you don't leave, please run for something!! I'm all out of rep points

Last edited by mtpfoodie; 05-08-2015 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: Edited to add link to Post & Courier report

Old 05-08-2015, 03:14 PM

Seems like we should give the Post an award when they actually solve the problem. Anybody can soapbox about something like domestic violence.

Given the vast majority of people in SC don't beat their wives, and given there are men who beat their wives in other states, then there is no SC 'culture' aspect to blame.

The per capita stats always make smaller population states look much worse than they are in comparison to large population states.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
You keep complaining about people eating junk food. I asked what your solution is? It seems like you would have to ban junk food to solve the problem as you see it.

I don't think fast food is cheaper than what you can get in the grocery store. For example, a large coke at McDonalds is 2 bucks. You can get a 2 liter non-sugar drink in the grocery store for less than 2 dollars.

I know several people in college that went to high school in rural areas and they are doing fine in their studies.

I'm just trying to have a conversation with you. You made several controversial statements that I think don't hold up under scrutiny.
Ive already stated mutliple solutions, but you keep looking past them. And I dont care who you know is doing fine, thats anecdotal. The factual statistics tell otherwise. I have rural friends too who are doing big things in college, but in reality, that is not the norm. In reality, SC is in the bottom 5 in education. Stop trying to get around that. That is not people opinions, that is data from governement research. All of this is data from government research, not my opinion. I already had to do a semesters worth of research on this, I know the problems and solutions. I dont care if you do or not. Youre gonna ignore them either way.

I already listed the problems that obesity can cause. Those were not problems that I just made up and stated for fun, those are factual health problems that every medical professional will agree on. I did not make up claims about SC domesitic violemce. I don't know anyone who has hit their wife, so does that mean it doesnt happen? NO, obviously its still an issue if we're ranked #1. I didnt rank us #1, and no opinion board ranked us #1. Government data ranked us #1. You keep wanting to dance around these issues like I just make them up. I dont have time for that.

I don't want to have a conversation because all youre going to do is find the negatives in what I say and spin them. You keep making it one-sided and repeating the same things. Just drop it. Your agenda is obvious.

Also it doesnt matter if majority of SC isnt beating their wives, we're still neating them more than 49 other states! Geez, im not doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina