Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2016, 06:47 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Still, Columbia has called itself and been called South Carolina's largest city for a long time. I know that doesn't make it the best-known SC city or the best liked, or the best anything, but it has been the largest. Without that title, mantra, image, publication material, or whatever you want to call it, not getting to call itself the largest or have publications call it the largest will be a blow, no matter what the average City-Data.com demographics nerds say. I know about arbitrary boundaries and South Carolina's archaic annexation laws, but I'm a City-Data.com demographics nerd. Losing the ability to throw that "largest" phrase around or attach it to your city's name is a blow. If Columbia loses its "largest" title, it will be called the largest city in the South Carolina Midlands region (larger than Lexington).
Only demographics nerds would call it a blow. If it loses the "largest city" title, it will still be the capital city and that is what Columbia is known for more than anything.

We'll just agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 08:58 AM

12,915 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Columbia's mayor told me Columbia will stay ahead. So I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:34 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,274,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if the title of largest city goes back and forth between Columbia and Charleston a few times. Charleston is growing very fast right now but doesn't have much room to expand since it is hemmed in on most sides by other municipalities.

At the end of the day, I don't really care one way or the other.
I've thought this as well. I do care about the biggest city designation from a personal standpoint, but it will be a fun "battle" back and forth as the years go on.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:51 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Well thats what makes SC so unique. Columbia has title of largest city, but Greenville has title of largest county, metro, and CSA.
I knew Greenville County is the largest in the state but did not know the Greenville MSA and CSA are the largest in the state, and by a lot according to the population figures on Wikipeida from 2013. I guess Greenville would the largest city too if not for the weird annexation laws.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:37 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Greenville would be the 3rd largest city in the Carolinas if it was annexed right.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:23 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,958,651 times
Quote:
Greenville would be the 3rd largest city in the Carolinas if it was annexed right.
To be fair if North Charleston hadn't broken away from Charleston way back when Charleston would be #5 behind Durham. To say nothing of the James Island breakaways.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
To be fair if North Charleston hadn't broken away from Charleston way back when Charleston would be #5 behind Durham. To say nothing of the James Island breakaways.
Yeah but that's a what if. I'm talking about what is. Charleston has the same issue though, you're right. If all of WA and all of James I and Johns I were included like they should be, Chas would be knocking on doors.

Cola as well. If the donut holes were filled, NE Columbia annexed, Blythewood annexed, that's another 100,000+ easy.

Myrtle Beach, Anderson, Sumter, Spartanburg, Lexington, Rock Hill...every SC city. That's why this argument is pointless. Nothing is accurate. Greenville is not a 60,000 person city. I'm sure many people that come to Greenville, Charleston, Cola, and Myrtle are shocked and feel misled when they see how big everything truly is.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily, but it it, along with Charleston and Columbia, would certainly be over 200K.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not necessarily, but it it, along with Charleston and Columbia, would certainly be over 200K.
If going by areas that are technically "Greenville" then yes, it'd be right O/U 300. But even if its more in the 290's, it is definitely above Greensboro's 279K, still making it 3rd either way.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 01-31-2016 at 11:17 AM..

Old 01-31-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
If going by areas that are technically "Greenville" then yes, it'd be right O/U 300. But even if its more in the 290's, it is definitely above Greensboro's 279K, still making it 3rd either way.
Well Greensboro has been a bit aggressive with annexation historically; it has a smaller urban area than both Winston and Durham but a higher municipal population. So there are other variables at work that would determine what the municipal population might be if SC had more favorable annexation laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina