Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 08:46 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopmom View Post
now they both want to do the right thing.
The right thing to do would be to give that baby the best possible chance at a good life, and give it up for adoption to a couple that cannot have children of their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 09:03 AM

503 posts, read 530,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpfoodie View Post
If you are pushing abstinence instead of safe sex, you are basically putting your head in the sand and here we are.
This. If you really want teenage boys and girls to remain abstinent, you can't leave them alone together. Societies with a better grasp of the reality of human nature act accordingly and keep them supervised or separated.

In the land of the free where the sexes are allowed to intermingle at young ages, safe sex is really your only option to avoid teen pregnancy.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:04 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
The right thing to do would be to give that baby the best possible chance at a good life, and give it up for adoption to a couple that cannot have children of their own.
I really like this idea.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:21 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,961,705 times
Our oldest child is adopted. She came over this morning to visit and spent the day with us. I look at this woman and give thanks that a young high school girl didn't abort and instead decided upon adoption. We have loved this child now a woman to pieces and our love is returned, unconditional. We have a sealed adoption and we asked her years ago if she wanted to locate her biological mother. She replied, no I have a mom and dad.

The biological mother was 17 years old too. The biological father, both of them declaring true love forever eventually broke up, per our case worker.

At six weeks a baby's heart beats almost twice as fast as the mother's, little hands are formed. Not going to get in argument here but a fetus is a baby very much alive. The baby doesn't pop out and suddenly become a person, from conception it's alive and human.

I am so glad the young couple doesn't want to abort the baby. The only negative I see is long term if the couple breaks up and at their ages that is possible. What will happen then?

Old 06-18-2015, 07:17 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Our oldest child is adopted. She came over this morning to visit and spent the day with us. I look at this woman and give thanks that a young high school girl didn't abort and instead decided upon adoption. We have loved this child now a woman to pieces and our love is returned, unconditional. We have a sealed adoption and we asked her years ago if she wanted to locate her biological mother. She replied, no I have a mom and dad.

The biological mother was 17 years old too.
I am the product of two 17yo kids that gave me up for adoption, and my mom wanted to find my bioparents to thank them. I didn't want to either, because I already had a mom & dad.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:41 PM

9,492 posts, read 9,801,818 times
Quote:
Best idea thus far.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:15 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,151 times
coopmom,
Well, everyone's opinion doesn't matter now anyway, does it?
The baby is. Period.
Stay out of the girlfriends business. It's not your child. Your child
has done his part, hasn't he? Easy to give someone else your opinion when it's
not your kids or responsibility.
Let the girlfriends family work through this the way they have to. YOU stay out of it.
Your opinion means nothing.
The mother is angry. Period. Any good mother would be.
She has to try to make a responsible woman out of her daughter who is only
17 as fast as she can.
That is why she is insisting that the girl get a job, because who is going to support the
child? The mother doesn't want to. When the baby is born, the mother will make sure the daughter
sues your son for child support. So, you better get a job for your son now too. College will be
part time if at all, after all, diapers aren't cheap.
The chances of 2 kids staying together are almost nil, sorry, but they are both too immature
to make an adult commitment such as marriage, so lets not make it worse.
Just be there if you are needed, but don't try to come in between the girlfriend and her family,
that would be the worst mistake you would ever make.
Just get your son working, he is going to need it.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:17 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
Quote:
I am the product of two 17yo kids that gave me up for adoption, and my mom wanted to find my bioparents to thank them. I didn't want to either, because I already had a mom & dad.
I am happy for you and I respect your parents for raising you as they did.

That said, I expect there are more sad (unfilled life, etc.) endings with two 17 year old having a baby then there are happy ones such as yours especially when there are alternatives.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:20 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coopmom View Post
My son and his girlfriend are both 17 years old and we just found out that she is pregnant. My son's gf mom wanted her to get an abortion, we were against it. They have decided to keep their baby. There is a problem with that my son's gfs mom is now forcing her to get a job, pay half the rent, half the lights all the bills she must pay half on now since she decided to keep her baby. I and my husband are both here for them financially and emotionally. Her mom is being horrible, yes they made a mistake by getting pregnant but now they both want to do the right thing. I want them to graduate this year and go on to college as they had planned, but her mom is acting like it's the end of the world and now her daughters life is over because of the baby. Her mom is saying that she is not going to provide any support to her or buy anything regarding the baby. I will provide everything she might need including insurance and the doctor.It has gotten to the point that she wants to move out of her mom's home (since she won't even provide anything to her), I have no problem with her moving in with us and we will provide for her and the baby, this is what my son and his girlfriend both want now. I am not sure about the laws regarding this issue, my son's gfs mom is stressing her and doing things that a pregnant person shouldn't be doing. Can she move in with us as long as she attends school and we provide for her? Does anyone know about any cases or laws concerning this matter?
Check the laws in your state at 17 and pregnant she may already be recognized as an emancipated minor.
The other part of this is when does she turn 18?
Also, once the baby is born even if she is not 18 yet she may be considered an emancipated minor just because she gave birth.

Until you find out the legal aspects I would not allow her to move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina