Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 03:38 AM

2 posts, read 2,255 times

Advertisements

My son and his girlfriend are both 17 years old and we just found out that she is pregnant. My son's gf mom wanted her to get an abortion, we were against it. They have decided to keep their baby. There is a problem with that my son's gfs mom is now forcing her to get a job, pay half the rent, half the lights all the bills she must pay half on now since she decided to keep her baby. I and my husband are both here for them financially and emotionally. Her mom is being horrible, yes they made a mistake by getting pregnant but now they both want to do the right thing. I want them to graduate this year and go on to college as they had planned, but her mom is acting like it's the end of the world and now her daughters life is over because of the baby. Her mom is saying that she is not going to provide any support to her or buy anything regarding the baby. I will provide everything she might need including insurance and the doctor.It has gotten to the point that she wants to move out of her mom's home (since she won't even provide anything to her), I have no problem with her moving in with us and we will provide for her and the baby, this is what my son and his girlfriend both want now. I am not sure about the laws regarding this issue, my son's gfs mom is stressing her and doing things that a pregnant person shouldn't be doing. Can she move in with us as long as she attends school and we provide for her? Does anyone know about any cases or laws concerning this matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 04:00 AM

130 posts, read 160,276 times
The daughter can seek legal emancipation. Alternatively, you and the daughter's parents can come to an agreement whereby she would live with you and have you take over guardianship voluntarily, but I doubt that would happen as she's very pissed off at you for encouraging this pregnancy. She's still under her mother and father's care until she turns 18 and you cannot wrestle control away from them. Here is a general primer on SC law: Kids Law in South Carolina.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,255 times
First I never encouraged them to get pregnant, I was on them about getting into college next fall, I spoke with both of them several times about making sure they remained abstinent, but yes I told her that I didn't believe in abortion but her father and his family do not elieve in abortion. She lives with her mom and step father, her biological father has visitation. Getting back to point even if a parent refuses care to their 17 year old the 17 year must remain in that parents care? Also South Carolina does not have emancipation laws.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:12 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
The girl's mother realizes that her daughter is the one having the baby and as a 17 year old, that is no way to start a life. The mother is being tough but I am on her side.

You are trying to help but you I do not think you are looking at the big picture. Your opposition to abortion is starting those young kids off on the wrong foot in life.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:14 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
It is my understanding that until the age of 18, her parents have all legal custody unless they choose to surrender it. However, if the 2 get married (which is legal at 17 without parental consent) then she is considered "emancipated" from her parents.

Not sure if marriage is a consideration at this point but it would solve the custody issue.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
The girl's mother realizes that her daughter is the one having the baby and as a 17 year old, that is no way to start a life. The mother is being tough but I am on her side.

You are trying to help but you I do not think you are looking at the big picture. Your opposition to abortion is starting those young kids off on the wrong foot in life.
What? So you would kill an innocent baby just so their life isn't inconvenienced because of a mistake they made? What kind of message are YOU sending young people when you discount life so quickly? They made a mistake. But they are owning up to the responsibility of their actions. Not just discarding it with yesterday's trash.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:28 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Iam

The difference in our beliefs are simple. Until that "fetus" can live outside the womb, it is not a human being.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Iam

The difference in our beliefs are simple. Until that "fetus" can live outside the womb, it is not a human being.
You are right on one thing. Our beliefs are different.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:36 AM

130 posts, read 160,276 times
She cannot marry without the consent of her parents/guardian until she is 18.

If you are pushing abstinence instead of safe sex, you are basically putting your head in the sand and here we are. I don't see any owning up to responsibilities and consequences if the boy's mother is intending to swoop in and take over care instead of showing them that they needs jobs and a way to support this child.

What will happen if the couple breaks up? Will you still have her and the baby in your home and provide childcare and expenses, OP? More than likely she will be right back at her mother's house and that is probably partially why the mother is seething angry about you encouraging them to have and raise a child as teenagers. Furthermore, parents are on the hook for child support until their teen hits 18 in South Carolina.

Her parents are not refusing her care. It sounds like they are showing her tough love. You do not have any legal recourse as potential grandmother.

South Carolina does indeed have a process where a juvenile can petition the court for emancipation. She can see a family law attorney to start that process.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:40 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpfoodie View Post

South Carolina does indeed have a process where a juvenile can petition the court for emancipation. She can see a family law attorney to start that process.
This. She needs to speak to an attorney. I don't think that the opinions of strangers about abstinence and abortion will be helpful to you or your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina