Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2021, 06:21 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
This is something we have talked about here over the last few years, and I don't see anything changing in that regards anytime soon. Adjacent communities with a high degree of economic and social integration with the core city is one criteria. There other factors as well, and if far western Sumter County, was populated and growing towards Richland County, we probably would be already. But the topography between HWY 601 and the Richland County line prevents growth in that area.

If Sumter was located where Camden is.. it would be an entirely different ballgame....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 07:29 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
If Sumter was located where Camden is.. it would be an entirely different ballgame....
Absolutely.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:20 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
Funny thing about that is if you look at a map, I-20 could have gone either through Sumter or Camden. Old rumor in town (some swear it’s fact) is that the “good ol’ boys” in Sumter back during the era of interstate expansion didn’t want the interstate. So it was routed north via Camden.

Old 03-10-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Funny thing about that is if you look at a map, I-20 could have gone either through Sumter or Camden. Old rumor in town (some swear it’s fact) is that the “good ol’ boys” in Sumter back during the era of interstate expansion didn’t want the interstate. So it was routed north via Camden.
Yeah... I have heard that story both ways.. One that the good ole boys didnt want it the other was the politicos in Camden/Kershaw County had more swag than Sumter and got it pulled their way.. Maybe it was a combination of the two....

On a related note.. I am watching the sprawling Northeast Richland County. As northeast and northern Richland County fills in.. it seems the growth is going into Kershaw County in the Lugoff-Elgin Zone as opposed to Fairfield County. Both are accessible to Columbia via direct Interstate.. but I think Kershaw has better schools and is more affluent and faring better economically. The northern end of Richland County (Monticello and Fairfield Roads) resemble Lower Richland County.. in part because of School Zones.. That section has some of the County's lowest performing schools which is likely a key factor why there is not more development of those corridors.. There is a plan to extend CLemson Road over the Broad River to connect Blythewood with Irmo which could spur some interest but it has yet to be approved.

Could Sumter and Columbia eventually connect via Camden and 521? There is a lot land in between Camden and Sumter on 521 and Sumter's growth is going out that way.. so .. who knows...

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0709.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old 03-10-2021, 07:20 AM

Quote:
This is something we have talked about here over the last few years, and I don't see anything changing in that regards anytime soon. Adjacent communities with a high degree of economic and social integration with the core city is one criteria. There other factors as well, and if far western Sumter County, was populated and growing towards Richland County, we probably would be already. But the topography between HWY 601 and the Richland County line prevents growth in that area.
My mistake here, I meant to say 261 and the Richland County line, not 601.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Yeah... I have heard that story both ways.. One that the good ole boys didnt want it the other was the politicos in Camden/Kershaw County had more swag than Sumter and got it pulled their way.. Maybe it was a combination of the two....

On a related note.. I am watching the sprawling Northeast Richland County. As northeast and northern Richland County fills in.. it seems the growth is going into Kershaw County in the Lugoff-Elgin Zone as opposed to Fairfield County. Both are accessible to Columbia via direct Interstate.. but I think Kershaw has better schools and is more affluent and faring better economically. The northern end of Richland County (Monticello and Fairfield Roads) resemble Lower Richland County.. in part because of School Zones.. That section has some of the County's lowest performing schools which is likely a key factor why there is not more development of those corridors.. There is a plan to extend CLemson Road over the Broad River to connect Blythewood with Irmo which could spur some interest but it has yet to be approved.

Could Sumter and Columbia eventually connect via Camden and 521? There is a lot land in between Camden and Sumter on 521 and Sumter's growth is going out that way.. so .. who knows...

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0709.../data=!3m1!1e3
It's possible, but the county have to do it's part to encourage growth in that area. Improve and build on the infrastructure in that area.

Last edited by ipaper; 03-10-2021 at 08:14 AM..

Old 03-10-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
My mistake here, I meant to say 261 and the Richland County line, not 601.
Gotcha... I know it will never happen but if you look at the intersection of SC 261 and Hwy 601 and draw a relatively straight line into Sumter County to Horatio and even over to Hwy 521. SC 261 turns into Leesburg Rd in the City of Columbia and eventually runs into Garners Ferry Road.. That route could become a second route between Sumter and Columbia and offer an alternative to Hwy 378.. I used to travel 378 for several years between Sumter and Columbia.. Sometimes I would take SC 261 and US 601 just to avoid the traffic and endless near rear end accidents as people would slow down in the fast lane in an attempt to turn onto one of those little left turn islands to cross the opposing lanes of traffic.. I saw way to many accidents when this occurred. Either there would be a rear end collision OR the person in the passing lane would see someone brake to turn left and they would dive into the slow lane.. and run someone off the road or side swipe someone who was just getting on the road in the slow lane and get hit when the passing lane driver was diving into the slow lane..

I know they have made some improvements with longer lanes to allow these left turners to move out of traffic before turning left.. but as Garners Ferry continues to suburbanize the traffic will certainly get worse beginning around Horrible (Horrel) Hill

Old 03-10-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Gotcha... I know it will never happen but if you look at the intersection of SC 261 and Hwy 601 and draw a relatively straight line into Sumter County to Horatio and even over to Hwy 521. SC 261 turns into Leesburg Rd in the City of Columbia and eventually runs into Garners Ferry Road.. That route could become a second route between Sumter and Columbia and offer an alternative to Hwy 378.. I used to travel 378 for several years between Sumter and Columbia.. Sometimes I would take SC 261 and US 601 just to avoid the traffic and endless near rear end accidents as people would slow down in the fast lane in an attempt to turn onto one of those little left turn islands to cross the opposing lanes of traffic.. I saw way to many accidents when this occurred. Either there would be a rear end collision OR the person in the passing lane would see someone brake to turn left and they would dive into the slow lane.. and run someone off the road or side swipe someone who was just getting on the road in the slow lane and get hit when the passing lane driver was diving into the slow lane..

I know they have made some improvements with longer lanes to allow these left turners to move out of traffic before turning left.. but as Garners Ferry continues to suburbanize the traffic will certainly get worse beginning around Horrible (Horrel) Hill
Absolutely, because there is a pretty large subdivision that was recently built on the left going into Columbia. I used to take 601 to Leesburg Rd when my unit moved to Fort Jackson. I had too many close call with deer, so I stopped going that way.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:04 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
Something going on at the old Market Express at Washington and Liberty. Looks like it’s wrapped in plastic sheeting. My guess is asbestos removal. Wonder if the structure is being renovated for something new or just hazmat removal prior to complete demolition.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Something going on at the old Market Express at Washington and Liberty. Looks like it’s wrapped in plastic sheeting. My guess is asbestos removal. Wonder if the structure is being renovated for something new or just hazmat removal prior to complete demolition.

My favorite intersection, lol. I was through there today, I didn't notice, but hopefully it won't be around much longer in it's current form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina