U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2019, 08:56 PM

10,064 posts, read 6,323,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I wonder if it has anything to do with Lower Richland and Kershaw County? Some people may opt to jump over the County line and live in these areas yet still work in Sumter? Even some folks in the USAF may opt for the commute in order to live near amenities offered in Columbia. Lugoff-Elgin area is close enough to NE Richland County and Lower Richland has access to Columbia proper.. So the population loss could be because of outmigration to these areas? Sumter as always struck me as somewhat stagnant.. but as growth in other areas nearby make living in those areas more palatable folks may opt to move across the line while still being close to family that may remain in Sumter.

The City of SUmter and the City of Columbia are only 10 miles apart.. that is from the edge of Ft Jackson to the edge of Shaw AFB.. as the crow flies...

Many of the high ranking officers at Shaw lives in the Columbia metro, that have always been the case. No interstate, lack of infrastructure in much of the county, and the topography along 378 between Shaw and Richland County plays a major role in the growth of Sumter County. The drive from Shaw into Richland County, is of mostly useless land area. If that was all flat lands, I'm sure nice Subdivisions would be all along that drive, and that probably would be a very heavy populated area of the county. All these things have an impact on the growth of the county. Also, I don't see anything county officials are doing, to make the county an attractive place that people would want to live. Places like Wedgefield, and Pinewood are dying communities with absolutely nothing going on, nothing. We just need more good jobs, and people and the other things will eventually come, or stop the bleeding.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 09:39 AM

6,731 posts, read 10,219,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Many of the high ranking officers at Shaw lives in the Columbia metro, that have always been the case. No interstate, lack of infrastructure in much of the county, and the topography along 378 between Shaw and Richland County plays a major role in the growth of Sumter County. The drive from Shaw into Richland County, is of mostly useless land area. If that was all flat lands, I'm sure nice Subdivisions would be all along that drive, and that probably would be a very heavy populated area of the county. All these things have an impact on the growth of the county. Also, I don't see anything county officials are doing, to make the county an attractive place that people would want to live. Places like Wedgefield, and Pinewood are dying communities with absolutely nothing going on, nothing. We just need more good jobs, and people and the other things will eventually come, or stop the bleeding.

Sumter County leaders have failed the towns of Sumter County.. Pinewood and Mayesville more specifically.. Places like Wedgefield, Rembert, Statesburg, Horatio, Oswego.. not sure if they were actually incorporated 'towns' but if they ever were they dissolved themselves because of bleak futures and dot the county landscape like tombstones. The only slight exception may be Dalzell depending on where you want to draw the boundary for it. Granted it is not actually a town but years ago there had been some talk of possibly incorporating that were thwarted by the city of sumter. Allowing the railroads to be torn up after they were abandoned and lack of infrastructure planning has certainly doomed some of these places.. Look at the vestiges of rail lines the state saved in Lee and Darlington Counties.. the SC RR or whatever its called serves a few industries in those areas that would have likely closed or relocated had it not been there. Its presences at least gives those areas some basic infrastructure to support industrial development(jobs) especially since the back roads/highways cant accommodate a great deal of truck traffic.. The removal of the Sumter to Florence rail line killed Mayesville and Lynchburg or at a minimum assured their slow death.. and didn't do Sumter any favors.. Timmonsville and Florence are likely ambivalent since they have both 95 and 20 and solid north south rail service on the eastern seaboard.

What could have been done to save Mayesville and Pinewood et al.. Good questions.. there is not one or two things that can be done to save them not to mention death is by 1,000 cuts or in this case missed opportunities, shifting markets, changes in the means of production, technology, globalization, poor planning flat out inaction or indifference over decades all of which are going to be hard to overcome. The eastern fringe of Sumter County aka "the dog leg" aka Shiloh is likely in worse shape. and it HAS access to an interstate.....

The City of Sumter is certainly better off and its leaders at least have some form of a vision for the city... the County on the other hand just wants to extort tax money out of city residents to keep the rural areas a float without a "plan" for the future or plan on how to assist said rural areas. Therefore the City should move to annex as much of the urbanized but unincorporated portion of the County adjacent to the city limits as possible and rightfully so since it is providing the majority of the services for these residents. The City will ultimately use the additional tax base to fund more things to attract residents/visitors to the Sumter as a whole with sports complexes, the arts entertainment, festivals, parks, and downtown attractions which helps both the City and the County.. In the meantime the County can stick to scraping dirt roads, managing the landfill and the jails and Sheriff'in as old Sheriff Andy Taylor would say .. ..

See map below.. I know it may not be 100% accurate.. but there is a lot of development south, southwest of the city that is not in the City limits. The annexation laws do make it difficult but it should certainly be a major goal for the city and the county for that matter
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sumter,+SC/@33.9230776,-80.3934061,13z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x88ff68b9034f52c5:0xf371a71eadde6 02e!8m2!3d33.9204354!4d-80.3414693

Last edited by Woodlands; 11-26-2019 at 10:26 AM..

Old 11-26-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Sumter County leaders have failed the towns of Sumter County.. Pinewood and Mayesville more specifically.. Places like Wedgefield, Rembert, Statesburg, Horatio, Oswego.. not sure if they were actually incorporated 'towns' but if they ever were they dissolved themselves because of bleak futures and dot the county landscape like tombstones. The only slight exception may be Dalzell depending on where you want to draw the boundary for it. Granted it is not actually a town but years ago there had been some talk of possibly incorporating that were thwarted by the city of sumter. Allowing the railroads to be torn up after they were abandoned and lack of infrastructure planning has certainly doomed some of these places.. Look at the vestiges of rail lines the state saved in Lee and Darlington Counties.. the SC RR or whatever its called serves a few industries in those areas that would have likely closed or relocated had it not been there. Its presences at least gives those areas some basic infrastructure to support industrial development(jobs) especially since the back roads/highways cant accommodate a great deal of truck traffic.. The removal of the Sumter to Florence rail line killed Mayesville and Lynchburg or at a minimum assured their slow death.. and didn't do Sumter any favors.. Timmonsville and Florence are likely ambivalent since they have both 95 and 20 and solid north south rail service on the eastern seaboard.

What could have been done to save Mayesville and Pinewood et al.. Good questions.. there is not one or two things that can be done to save them not to mention death is by 1,000 cuts or in this case missed opportunities, shifting markets, changes in the means of production, technology, globalization, poor planning flat out inaction or indifference over decades all of which are going to be hard to overcome. The eastern fringe of Sumter County aka "the dog leg" aka Shiloh is likely in worse shape. and it HAS access to an interstate.....

The City of Sumter is certainly better off and its leaders at least have some form of a vision for the city... the County on the other hand just wants to extort tax money out of city residents to keep the rural areas a float without a "plan" for the future or plan on how to assist said rural areas. Therefore the City should move to annex as much of the urbanized but unincorporated portion of the County adjacent to the city limits as possible and rightfully so since it is providing the majority of the services for these residents. The City will ultimately use the additional tax base to fund more things to attract residents/visitors to the Sumter as a whole with sports complexes, the arts entertainment, festivals, parks, and downtown attractions which helps both the City and the County.. In the meantime the County can stick to scraping dirt roads, managing the landfill and the jails and Sheriff'in as old Sheriff Andy Taylor would say .. ..

See map below.. I know it may not be 100% accurate.. but there is a lot of development south, southwest of the city that is not in the City limits. The annexation laws do make it difficult but it should certainly be a major goal for the city and the county for that matter
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sumter,+SC/@33.9230776,-80.3934061,13z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x88ff68b9034f52c5:0xf371a71eadde6 02e!8m2!3d33.9204354!4d-80.3414693
The city of Sumter and Shaw AFB, are most definitely the focal point of Sumter County, it's points of interest. Zero effort goes into anything out in the county, all of it's towns and communities are lifeless, nothing is out there, just boring bedroom communities of Sumter. The county needs to get on the ball, but they know nobody is complaining so they will let things go on as is. The county is way underdeveloped in my opinion, and underserved. The city and county of Sumter is lacking good leadership in my opinion, and it's been that way for a long time. They just seem to settle for just being adequate, and the chamber have been pretty quiet lately, or are they off for the winter.

Old 11-26-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
The city of Sumter and Shaw AFB, are most definitely the focal point of Sumter County, it's points of interest. Zero effort goes into anything out in the county, all of it's towns and communities are lifeless, nothing is out there, just boring bedroom communities of Sumter. The county needs to get on the ball, but they know nobody is complaining so they will let things go on as is. The county is way underdeveloped in my opinion, and underserved. The city and county of Sumter is lacking good leadership in my opinion, and it's been that way for a long time. They just seem to settle for just being adequate, and the chamber have been pretty quiet lately, or are they off for the winter.

I have always felt the Sumter as a whole was just comfortable at simply being better than Lee, Clarendon and Kershaw County.. though Kershaw has made some gains.. Its still well under 100k but its grown by over 20% over the last 10 years so its not resting on its laurels. Given the spillover from Richland and stagnation in Sumter County there is likely a time when it will pass Sumter County in population. Sumter leaders seem to enjoy subjugating these neighboring rural jurisdictions while staying out of the political sandbox with Columbia/Richland or Florence since I think they feel somewhat intimidated by them both politically and economically. I think the City and County should do the opposite and attempt to align themselves more with the bigger communities.. more so Columbia/Richland than Florence. Columbia's Mayor Benjamin is always looking to expand his influence..and a visit or two by Sumter's Mayor or political leaders that builds a relationship among the political leaders and their bureaucracies could yield some bonus points with talks of regionalism or regional cooperation especially around things Mayor Benjamin cares about such as commuter rail which could potentially add in Sumter's James Clyburn Transportation Center. .. BUT like I said.. I think Sumter doesn't want to even appear to kiss anyone's ring and would rather have its ring kissed by likes of Manning and Bishopville which makes it feel whole...

The challenge is City of Columbia has problems with Richland County.. City of Sumter has problems with Sumter County.. but Richland Cty doesn't seem to have a problem with Sumter County (other than the name Garners Ferry Road now seems to have replaced Sumter Hwy in the local lexicon down to the Wateree River) and the City of Sumter and the City of Columbia seem oblivious to each others existance ...That said its the difference between Yahoos and Yee Hahs( you can guess which is which) both don't want to yield to some form of De'tente ... so absence communication there is ambivalence . Maybe this is where General Assembly reps step in to broker communications because there may be some district overlaps between the two Counties.. But usually the reps resides in one or the other and pledges their allegiance accordingly...

COngressman Clyburn is the only elected official that I know that has been very active in all four jurisdictions and pushed for them to work together. He was born and raised in Sumter, lives in Columbia but represents section of both.. Back in the 90s he landed the HUD Empowerment Zone which yielded a variety of federal funds that were responsible for the three HOPE Centers, the Transportation Center (which is likely why it was named after him) CCTC Center downtown, senior/low income housing, and the South Sumter Farmers Market and Bracy Shopping Center also in South Sumter to name a few... Both Cities/Counties used to meet regular, though certainly not without conflict, to manage the regional grant.. Since then there hasn't been much cooperation from what I can see.

Last edited by Woodlands; 11-26-2019 at 01:32 PM..

Old 11-26-2019, 05:41 PM

120 posts, read 112,681 times
Quote:
I wonder if it has anything to do with Lower Richland and Kershaw County? Some people may opt to jump over the County line and live in these areas yet still work in Sumter? Even some folks in the USAF may opt for the commute in order to live near amenities offered in Columbia. Lugoff-Elgin area is close enough to NE Richland County and Lower Richland has access to Columbia proper.. So the population loss could be because of outmigration to these areas? Sumter as always struck me as somewhat stagnant.. but as growth in other areas nearby make living in those areas more palatable folks may opt to move across the line while still being close to family that may remain in Sumter.

The City of SUmter and the City of Columbia are only 10 miles apart.. that is from the edge of Ft Jackson to the edge of Shaw AFB.. as the crow flies...
I always thought Sumter should grow up 521 through Dalzell toward Camden as not to encroach on Shaw. With Cola Northeast still growing steady toward Camden/Lugoff Sumter could pick up on overflow from the north

Old 11-27-2019, 03:51 PM

136 posts, read 105,771 times
Quote:

I can say they definitely do that for sure, which doesnt help with the growth as you pointed out. That is probably the reason, jobs ARE oin Sumter but people live just across the county line.

Old 11-29-2019, 08:03 AM

I may have mentioned before that the city of Columbia was trying to extend rail service from Charlotte to Columbia as part of NCDOT Raleigh to Charlotte commuter rail and eventually push to be part of the east coast high speed route. The only way that would happen is if 1) Norfolk Southern gets on board 2) SCDOT gets on board but more logically if Charleston who already benefits from being on the coastal line pushes for more connectivity to Capital City and maybe Charlotte. The two routes for this hypothetical line is thru Sumter or Orangeburg. Though the entire thing is a long shot ....if I am not mistaken Orangeburg has expressed interest while Sumter had remained silent or indifferent . The Clyburn Transportation Center was funded in part to be in the alignment of potential Sumter train station but no real effort had been made to advance this interest on the political front. Amtrak is becoming more and more reliant on state and local support outside of it major city pairs and has been toying with reducing service where they have little support which is in rural areas. NCDOT and VDOT FDOT have all worked to improve train service and tracks in their stated leaving only SCDOT and GDOT....I suspect GDOT will get on board SCDOT not so much

Old 11-30-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I may have mentioned before that the city of Columbia was trying to extend rail service from Charlotte to Columbia as part of NCDOT Raleigh to Charlotte commuter rail and eventually push to be part of the east coast high speed route. The only way that would happen is if 1) Norfolk Southern gets on board 2) SCDOT gets on board but more logically if Charleston who already benefits from being on the coastal line pushes for more connectivity to Capital City and maybe Charlotte. The two routes for this hypothetical line is thru Sumter or Orangeburg. Though the entire thing is a long shot ....if I am not mistaken Orangeburg has expressed interest while Sumter had remained silent or indifferent . The Clyburn Transportation Center was funded in part to be in the alignment of potential Sumter train station but no real effort had been made to advance this interest on the political front. Amtrak is becoming more and more reliant on state and local support outside of it major city pairs and has been toying with reducing service where they have little support which is in rural areas. NCDOT and VDOT FDOT have all worked to improve train service and tracks in their stated leaving only SCDOT and GDOT....I suspect GDOT will get on board SCDOT not so much
No surprise there, their silence speaks for itself. All this goes back to the level of leadership in our city and county government. I swear they seem to be fighting so hard, to hold this town and county down from greater and better things. No forward thinking goes on around these parts, and they are fighting tooth and nail to maintain that small town flavor and mentality, no thinking outside of box around here.

The new Judicial Center is a good example of that. Leading up to it's construction, I read articles in the paper about how this New Center was going to pretty much solve the county spread out court system, like centralize all of the county courts under one roof, and of course that didn't happen. Or perhaps that was a selling point or sales pitch to get voters to vote in favor of funding the new center. It's a beautiful building, but didn't live to all the hype, and didn't solve the problems, much of the courts are all still spread out in different building. To do that, the building would had to be taller than what it is now, and that would infringe on the city height restriction for buildings.

Last edited by ipaper; 11-30-2019 at 11:24 AM..

Old 12-01-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
No surprise there, their silence speaks for itself. All this goes back to the level of leadership in our city and county government. I swear they seem to be fighting so hard, to hold this town and county down from greater and better things. No forward thinking goes on around these parts, and they are fighting tooth and nail to maintain that small town flavor and mentality, no thinking outside of box around here.

The new Judicial Center is a good example of that. Leading up to it's construction, I read articles in the paper about how this New Center was going to pretty much solve the county spread out court system, like centralize all of the county courts under one roof, and of course that didn't happen. Or perhaps that was a selling point or sales pitch to get voters to vote in favor of funding the new center. It's a beautiful building, but didn't live to all the hype, and didn't solve the problems, much of the courts are all still spread out in different building. To do that, the building would had to be taller than what it is now, and that would infringe on the city height restriction for buildings.

I hate to say it and others may disagree but the "good ole boy" network controls the politicos and won't let certain "forward thinking" happen for fear that it will be to their detriment ie take their money or reduce their influence by having to share with outside investors business leaders etc that may not share their"values" or more importantly take their money. The only exception is in industrial development which is sumters bread and butter. Industries have set list of wants and needs to build a plant that don't impact the local politics except for approvals and if anything they bring in more residents or provide jobs that help raise income levels that's better for the network because these folks will buy houses eat out and basically support the networks financial imterests. When you venture into the restaurant house building and commercial real estate field..that is where the network works to control or keep out those that threaten their bread and butter. If you look at MOST of the new development that is coming to Sumter the same list of bankers and business leaders have their finger prints on it as outright owners or silent partners. For better or worse it depends on your perspective....the city is still growing despite this though maybe not as fast as some would like ...but others including those not in the network may also like the slow pace because they want it to remain more of a town or small city as opposed to a larger city

Old 12-01-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I hate to say it and others may disagree but the "good ole boy" network controls the politicos and won't let certain "forward thinking" happen for fear that it will be to their detriment ie take their money or reduce their influence by having to share with outside investors business leaders etc that may not share their"values" or more importantly take their money. The only exception is in industrial development which is sumters bread and butter. Industries have set list of wants and needs to build a plant that don't impact the local politics except for approvals and if anything they bring in more residents or provide jobs that help raise income levels that's better for the network because these folks will buy houses eat out and basically support the networks financial imterests. When you venture into the restaurant house building and commercial real estate field..that is where the network works to control or keep out those that threaten their bread and butter. If you look at MOST of the new development that is coming to Sumter the same list of bankers and business leaders have their finger prints on it as outright owners or silent partners. For better or worse it depends on your perspective....the city is still growing despite this though maybe not as fast as some would like ...but others including those not in the network may also like the slow pace because they want it to remain more of a town or small city as opposed to a larger city

Yes the good old boy system is alive and well around here, I never doubted that at all. But a viable city or town still needs a solid, stable, and growing county and surroundings areas to draw from, that's very important to the commerce of that city. And I can't stress how important jobs and good paying jobs is to a given community. It's important to the future and growth the area, not to mention the tax base and growing that tax base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina