Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2018, 11:42 AM

143 posts, read 179,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
Dollar general : 14
Dollar Tree: 2
Family Dollar : 10
1 New Dollar General being built on Myrtle Beach Hwy.
Thats 27 just in sumter city/county alone.
Turn that old Rugged Warehouse location into a Five Below and Sumter would be set.

^^^ ahh, don't forget Roses inside the mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 12:49 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,211,675 times
Don't forget that Walmart closed all their "micro" stores that were designed to go head-to-head with the dollar stores.Wamart can't hang with the dollar stores in their target market.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:00 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,651,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckee16 View Post
Don't forget that Walmart closed all their "micro" stores that were designed to go head-to-head with the dollar stores.Wamart can't hang with the dollar stores in their target market.
That's probably a good thing, I wouldn't want them to dominate every segment of retail.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:30 PM

1,124 posts, read 925,871 times
On the topic of discount stores, I wonder why Sumter doesn’t have a Lidl but Orangeburg does. Seems to make zero sense demographically. Only reason I can think of is because Orangeburg is close to the interstate.

Old 09-23-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
On the topic of discount stores, I wonder why Sumter doesn’t have a Lidl but Orangeburg does. Seems to make zero sense demographically. Only reason I can think of is because Orangeburg is close to the interstate.
They usually do market research about these things, perhaps something in their research shows Sumter wouldn't be a good fit. Maybe Sumter already have too many discount stores to compete against already. I can't imagine Orangeburg having as many discount stores and Sumter.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:37 AM

8,236 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Quote:
Dollar general : 14
Dollar Tree: 2
Family Dollar : 10
1 New Dollar General being built on Myrtle Beach Hwy.
Thats 27 just in sumter city/county alone.
Turn that old Rugged Warehouse location into a Five Below and Sumter would be set.

Wow.. that is amazing......No wonder Walmart and Target aren't looking to expand anytime soon in Sumter. But like Star Trek.. dollar stores go " where no man has gone before" and pop up in some remote and underserved areas.....I remember when Family Dollar moved down to Bracey Plaza on Manning Ave in south Sumter.. Some folks railed that it would be closed in a week... It has been down there for at least 20 years last time I checked..They certainly fill a void in many neighborhoods/communities. I have been through many a bombed out back road town in NC and SC.. and the entire town will be vacant with abandoned buildings with the exception of a post office, gas station and a Dollar Store....That is certainly jobs and tax base for them for sure...

Last edited by Woodlands; 09-24-2018 at 06:45 AM..

Old 09-24-2018, 06:52 AM

8,236 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Default Greyhound/Southeastern Stages

Whats up with SES and Greyhound in Sumter? . I recall when they moved into the Clyburn Center downtown in the 90s.. it was viewed as a positive for Bus Service and Passengers in General as they would now atleast get on/off in civilization instead of at a laundry mat on Highway 76 in the middle of nowhere. They increased the level of service for a moment.. I believe like 6 buses a day.. now they are down to about half that.. which for a city of 40,000 with no airport or Amtrak.. seems bizarre. Sumter's location with no immediate access to interstate doesn't do it any favors either.. making it easy simply to express Sumter on I-20 or I-95.. I believe both Camden and Orangeburg have better service than Sumter right now...

My hope is that MegaBus services Sumter which could give riders another options and a potential boost for access to the City..but not sure that will likely occur or not.... Right now I think Columbia is the only City in the State with Mega... though I am sure Charleston and Greenville are likely in the expansion plans

Old 09-24-2018, 07:53 AM

217 posts, read 240,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Wow.. that is amazing......No wonder Walmart and Target aren't looking to expand anytime soon in Sumter. But like Star Trek.. dollar stores go " where no man has gone before" and pop up in some remote and underserved areas.....I remember when Family Dollar moved down to Bracey Plaza on Manning Ave in south Sumter.. Some folks railed that it would be closed in a week... It has been down there for at least 20 years last time I checked..They certainly fill a void in many neighborhoods/communities. I have been through many a bombed out back road town in NC and SC.. and the entire town will be vacant with abandoned buildings with the exception of a post office, gas station and a Dollar Store....That is certainly jobs and tax base for them for sure...
Sumter always seems to be late to the party when it comes to new retail. Look how long it took for Popeyes McAlister Starbucks Moes to locate here after booming across the rest of SC/NC.
I can never figure out why Greenwood which similar in size to Sumter, has no interestate like Sumter, located between Columbia metro & Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson(Sumter between Columbia & Florence) managed to land Publix, Hobby Lobby,Kohls, Old navy, Cracker Barrel, Planet Fitness, 2nd Walmart Supercenter, Ollies, & Lidi and Sumter is so under the radar.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Whats up with SES and Greyhound in Sumter? . I recall when they moved into the Clyburn Center downtown in the 90s.. it was viewed as a positive for Bus Service and Passengers in General as they would now atleast get on/off in civilization instead of at a laundry mat on Highway 76 in the middle of nowhere. They increased the level of service for a moment.. I believe like 6 buses a day.. now they are down to about half that.. which for a city of 40,000 with no airport or Amtrak.. seems bizarre. Sumter's location with no immediate access to interstate doesn't do it any favors either.. making it easy simply to express Sumter on I-20 or I-95.. I believe both Camden and Orangeburg have better service than Sumter right now...

My hope is that MegaBus services Sumter which could give riders another options and a potential boost for access to the City..but not sure that will likely occur or not.... Right now I think Columbia is the only City in the State with Mega... though I am sure Charleston and Greenville are likely in the expansion plans

I still see the SES buses pretty regular, they get in and out of Sumter pretty quick and can be easy to miss. I was waiting in a long line at nearby kfc, I saw one came in and before I got out the drive thru, he was on his way out of town. On very rare occasions, I have seen them gone down Broad street coming into town.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Sumter always seems to be late to the party when it comes to new retail. Look how long it took for Popeyes McAlister Starbucks Moes to locate here after booming across the rest of SC/NC.
I can never figure out why Greenwood which similar in size to Sumter, has no interestate like Sumter, located between Columbia metro & Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson(Sumter between Columbia & Florence) managed to land Publix, Hobby Lobby,Kohls, Old navy, Cracker Barrel, Planet Fitness, 2nd Walmart Supercenter, Ollies, & Lidi and Sumter is so under the radar.

Greenwood is one of the 10 counties that makes up the upstate, and that's pretty much all you need there. It's also a part of the greater Greenville-Spartanburg Combined Statistical Area, with a population of roughly 1.5 million people. Sumter is surrounded by much smaller counties, and just don't have a strong population base to draw from, and not a part of the Columbia metro. So, in this case, Greenwood wouldn't need interstates, as long as the principal cities have that. They benefit from being a part of a Greater metro area.

Last edited by ipaper; 09-24-2018 at 10:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina