Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 11:43 AM

260 posts, read 299,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
The flag means different things to different people. A CNN poll said 57% of people say it represents southern pride. It's obvious 57% are not racist. The context of where and how the flag is flown is just as important as the flag itself.
"Southern Pride" is similar to nationalistic attitudes in Germany in 1930s. It means different things to different people yes. I'm sure in the 30s there were german supporters who weren't anti-jew but prideful of their nation. correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 12:05 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTy View Post
"Southern Pride" is similar to nationalistic attitudes in Germany in 1930s. It means different things to different people yes. I'm sure in the 30s there were german supporters who weren't anti-jew but prideful of their nation. correct?
Sure, but it's not up to me to tell Germans what flag they should fly over their memorials to fallen troops either.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:35 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Not me. I'm all for it coming down. I'm not necessarily against the flag, I just don't think it belongs on State house grounds.

A poster just made a comment that "anything that divides needs to go." My response was a bit sarcastic but meant to show just how ridiculous his comment was. THere will always be division. The need to "stamp out" all that divides is impossible and improbable. Because what I may see as a division might not be seen to others as a division. So who is to decide?

What's next? A book burning at the local library? People need to realize that the world does not revolve around them.
What's ridiculous about it? A confederate flag doesn't belong on state government grounds. Should they make one for the slaves too? Is their honor any less important? Yes their will always be division, but a state government shouldn't support it? Are you against unity? My last post. What's going to happen is going to happen.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:59 PM

8,222 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Default Enjoy History...from 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7602SJPwVoY

Old 07-14-2015, 05:02 AM

9,492 posts, read 9,804,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiemomy View Post
Somewhat embarrassing that over 90% of those wanting to keep the flag are from the Greenville area. CD2013 was right in pointing out that this part of the state needs to quit fighting the civil war and move on.
This poster is an imposter using another regular posters username (slightly misspelled). Stirring the pot as always. Plus the numbers are wrong...I doubt if the poster could prove it.

This is very similar to GSP101's work...

The poster has been reported here and on the GSP forum.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:43 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake_red View Post
Actually, the 90% number is close to being correct. From the senate side, 100% of the senators who voted against removing the flag are from the Greenville metro. From the rep side, 5 or less were from outside of the upstate area.

The facts are very clear, the majority of SC wanted the flag removed except for the upstate. It is interesting that we see a lot of bragging from the upstate crowd about being inclusive and "not really being a southern city because of the transplants"....seems the more things change, the more they stay the same in Greenville. Perhaps we should call Greenville the "Mississippi part of SC".

Usnret, you guys voted these reps into office, be a man and own up to what they do.
"The Mississippi part of SC"....Ouch!

Old 07-15-2015, 12:37 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,858,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTy View Post
You need to read a history book, then. Not even remotely close.

The attack on erasing any remotely considered "Southern" by jingoistic attitude is 1930s Germany.

Maybe we can start painting "Juden" on Southerners homes, burn them down and round up the occupants and send them to an Auchwitz of your choosing. Then the USA will be Utopia, right??????

Old 07-15-2015, 12:41 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post

The attack on erasing any remotely considered "Southern" by jingoistic attitude is 1930s Germany.

Maybe we can start painting "Juden" on Southerners homes, burn them down and round up the occupants and send them to an Auchwitz of your choosing. Then the USA will be Utopia, right??????
Silly.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:55 PM

260 posts, read 299,497 times
Quote:

Very silly

Old 07-15-2015, 01:18 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,029,916 times
Quote:

Absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina