Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 05:52 PM

33 posts, read 120,848 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I and our young adult son who has a mild intellectual disability are considering moving to Sun City Hilton Head. I have a few questions which I would be grateful for any feedback.

Are there many couples in their 50s around to make friends with? Would our son, who is in his 20's be welcome? I know he can live there with us, I just want to make sure he will be welcome at the community venues.

Are there any job opportunities for young adults working at the golf course, fitness center, or village restaurants? He presently works at a golf course and does well.

How is the cycling group? That is our passion.

How many fitness centers are there? Are they modern and clean? Are they crowded?

How possible is it to get around in a golf cart (thinking of adult disabled son here) to get around within the village to the fitness center and to the grocery store?

How is the Catholic Church in Bluffton? Is it well attended, active, and does it have a variety of ages? How is the music there?

Where does one go to buy specialty (gluten free, organic) foods?

Thank you so much to any and all answers. We hope to visit the ares soon to vacation and house hunt.

Claire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 01:51 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
There are quite a few posts (some mine) on Sun City Hilton Head (Bluffton) and other Del Webb's in SC so do a search on Sun City.

As per the specifics (church, foods, etc.) I am not familiar with that. I spend 2-3 weekends there a year. I am a big fan of the place and the people that live there. It is possible and done by many, to get to everything with a golf cart. There is a small mall (including a Food Lion grocery store) right outside a side gate which one can drive their golf cart to. There are many, many activities there. There are people living in Sun City that continue to work. It is not just old people sitting around.

Start with the search.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:02 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
There was a big review of this development in the Retirement forum:

We are back from Sun City Hilton Head and here is the report I promised

Old 07-27-2015, 08:05 AM

Thanks John and Casey for your replies. We look forward to visiting there soon. Claire

Old 07-27-2015, 06:51 PM

73 posts, read 160,283 times
Hi Claire,

We were in Bluffton (and Beaufort) last week, checking out communities for retirement. We've also looked quite a bit in NC and FL.

We are also in our 50's. After touring many, many communities, we have decided that a relatively newer community is a better fit for us as we are looking for active neighbors closer to our age group. We've also come to realize that an age restricted community might not be such a good idea after all.

You might want to check out Hampton Lake (but no golf course), Hampton Hall and Hilton Head Lakes while you are in Bluffton. They all have a younger vibe about them.

From what you wrote, The Landings at Skidaway Island might be a great fit too. It's 20 minutes south of Savannah - a huge, vibrant, active island community with 4 golf courses, 5 pools, 2 marinas, and more activities than you could ever want.

Good luck!

Old 07-27-2015, 09:47 PM

Hello J,

I appreciate your insights.

Did you happen to look at the newer section of Sun City Hilton Head, and if so did you notice if there was a younger vibe there?

Also do you happen to know if any of the other communities you mentioned have the benefit of being able to use a golf cart to get to the grocery store and other venues?

Thank you,

Claire

Old 07-28-2015, 02:56 PM

73 posts, read 160,283 times
Hi Claire,

Since our time was limited and because we heard some variation of "you're too young for Sun City" from every local we spoke with, we did not visit that community. We had planned to visit SC before arriving in town, but we changed our minds.

I think golf carts are allowed and used in all the the communities I mentioned, but The Landings at Skidaway is the one that has golf cart access to the grocery store and the other shops/restaurant/banks at "The Village Square." Picture an island about 7 miles long. Blot out three small spots around the edges; these are high-end gated communities; not the Landings. Now picture a quaint-ish shopping area near one end of the island accessible to everyone. Right outside of the shopping area, in different directions, there are 3 or 4 gates that provide entrance to different sections of The Landings. When we visited, there were many golf carts in the parking lot of the shopping center, and there were people zipping all around the community in their golf carts.

We took advantage of a "discovery package" at Skidaway and thoroughly enjoyed our 3 days/2 nights there. The community is gorgeous with tidal marshes and lagoons all around. They gave us a $100 gift card for dinner and a long boat ride around the island. We also made the quick and easy 20-minute trip to Savannah one evening, and we visited the beach at Tybee Island as well.

I think it's also the community where you'll find the most young adults for socializing with your son.

The downside is that there are joining and membership fees for the clubs there. It's also dark at night!

We liked our sales guy very much - knowledgable but no pressure. Please PM me if you'd like his contact info.

Janet

Old 07-30-2015, 08:35 PM

14 posts, read 31,729 times
Husband and I are also in our 50s and checked out Sun City. Did the Explore Del Webb and stayed in one of their model homes. Great way to get a taste of the community. We did really like it and everyone was really nice but we did feel younger than most and decided we weren't ready for Sun City yet. Our real estate agent showed us Hampton Lake and we fell in love. You can check them out online at Bluffton SC Communities | Hampton Lake. We purchased a new home in the Arbors section and it should completed in Feb 2016. They're smaller single family homes (2000-2500 sq ft) on smaller lots and offered at a lower price point than most of the homes in the community. They also have golf carts in the community but to go shopping you'd have to take your car.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:58 PM

Janet and JustOneMore,

Thank you both for your informative replies. The Landingss sounds intriguing. I had never heard of it, so thanks for mentioning it. We will have to check out when we get to the area. What is the price range of homes there? How much is it to use the fitness center and pool? I really like that you can golf cart to access shopping.

I have heard of Hampton Lakes. It sounds wonderful, but having the golf cart shopping access is a must for us so we will have to look elsewhere.

I still would like to see Sun City HH. By the time we move there we would be nearing 60 (yikes that is hard to believe) so maybe we would fit in more with the rest of the demographics.

Claire

Old 07-31-2015, 07:51 AM

683 posts, read 464,254 times
Hampton Hall is a great community, but you still need a car to get to the supermarket. Hampton Lake is closer to the Publix shopping plaza than Hampton Hall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina