Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 10:52 AM

125 posts, read 578,648 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've lived in Portland, OR for about a year and 1/2. Originally from upstate NY.
Here's the thing - I love the west coast. But I miss the east coast. I'm super far away from my family and friends, who are all sprinkled up and down the east coast. I NEVER want to move back up to NY - I had ENUFF of the freezing winters and snow. So I'm thinking down South - Here are my issues -1. I know the lifestyle and general way of living is different - I know the south is more conservative, generally speaking. I'm a liberal, but not WAY left. Will I find pockets of like-mindedness in Charleston?

2. How easy is it to land a job if you don't know people? Is it more the right connections than the strength of your resume? I have over 5+ years in the banking/legal field; currently am in credit administration/loan operations out here, and make around $50K. will I find anything close to that salary down there?

3. I plan on returning to school to pursue my dream of a career in genetics-how adult-friendly (i.e. classes at night, on the weekends) is the College of Charleston?

4. How does the cost of living compare? Out here, a nice 3bd/2 ba with .5 - 1.0 acre will run you anywhere from $300,000 up to $600,000. We aren't as pricey as California, but are certainly close to the COL as some other major cities I have been in i.e. Seattle, Chicago, etc.

5. How is the traffic? Its crazy here-is Charleston getting too crowded?

6. How are the beaches? Lots of public access? Clean? Are there still areas that aren't overcrowded with tourists? Out here, the beaches are beautiful and never crowded - but I suppose that has to do with the fact that they are 1.5-2 hrs away from any major city, and they are cold, even in the summer. WATER IS FREEZING!

Anyone who has any insight, I'd LOVE TO HEAR. from natives and transplants alike, especially those who have made the move from the west coast to the east coast.

I'm an east coaster at heart, but the west coast is wonderful in all its differences.

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 08:37 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerinepuddle View Post
Hi all,

I've lived in Portland, OR for about a year and 1/2. Originally from upstate NY.
Here's the thing - I love the west coast. But I miss the east coast. I'm super far away from my family and friends, who are all sprinkled up and down the east coast. I NEVER want to move back up to NY - I had ENUFF of the freezing winters and snow. So I'm thinking down South - Here are my issues -1. I know the lifestyle and general way of living is different - I know the south is more conservative, generally speaking. I'm a liberal, but not WAY left. Will I find pockets of like-mindedness in Charleston?
It is more conservative than Portland. There is certainly a range of views though and people are generally accepting over other views. The mayor here has been in office since the 70's and is a democrat.

Quote:
2. How easy is it to land a job if you don't know people? Is it more the right connections than the strength of your resume? I have over 5+ years in the banking/legal field; currently am in credit administration/loan operations out here, and make around $50K. will I find anything close to that salary down there?
You should find something comparable here. It is not a large city so just based on numbers there will be fewer openings. Many people are moving here and finding employment.

Quote:
3. I plan on returning to school to pursue my dream of a career in genetics-how adult-friendly (i.e. classes at night, on the weekends) is the College of Charleston?
I, along with many others I know, have taken classes at the College of Charleston with no problem. The Citadel also offers night classes that are open.

Quote:
4. How does the cost of living compare? Out here, a nice 3bd/2 ba with .5 - 1.0 acre will run you anywhere from $300,000 up to $600,000. We aren't as pricey as California, but are certainly close to the COL as some other major cities I have been in i.e. Seattle, Chicago, etc.
It would depend on the part of town and your definition of nice. You should be able to find something from the upper 100's/lower 200's on up depending on the factors I mentioned.

Quote:
5. How is the traffic? Its crazy here-is Charleston getting too crowded?
Charleston is definitely getting more populated and traffic is growing. It is generally limited to certain times of day and certain places. Having said that, the high traffic times here still tend to be significantly less crowded than bigger cities.

Quote:
6. How are the beaches? Lots of public access? Clean? Are there still areas that aren't overcrowded with tourists? Out here, the beaches are beautiful and never crowded - but I suppose that has to do with the fact that they are 1.5-2 hrs away from any major city, and they are cold, even in the summer. WATER IS FREEZING!
Lots of public access and generally pretty clean. There are a lot of beach options here so there are some parts that tend to be more crowded than others. You should have no problem finding a good spot to enjoy.
We certainly do not have cold water in the summer. From May until October, the water is generally warm and up to hot (80's) in the middle of summer.

Quote:
Anyone who has any insight, I'd LOVE TO HEAR. from natives and transplants alike, especially those who have made the move from the west coast to the east coast.

I'm an east coaster at heart, but the west coast is wonderful in all its differences.

Thanks in advance!!!
I grew up in Charleston, moved to California for a couple of years and am back now. Hope this helps with your decision.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:41 PM

24 posts, read 99,244 times
Default Charleston vs. California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
It is more conservative than Portland. There is certainly a range of views though and people are generally accepting over other views. The mayor here has been in office since the 70's and is a democrat.

You should find something comparable here. It is not a large city so just based on numbers there will be fewer openings. Many people are moving here and finding employment.

I, along with many others I know, have taken classes at the College of Charleston with no problem. The Citadel also offers night classes that are open.

It would depend on the part of town and your definition of nice. You should be able to find something from the upper 100's/lower 200's on up depending on the factors I mentioned.

Charleston is definitely getting more populated and traffic is growing. It is generally limited to certain times of day and certain places. Having said that, the high traffic times here still tend to be significantly less crowded than bigger cities.

Lots of public access and generally pretty clean. There are a lot of beach options here so there are some parts that tend to be more crowded than others. You should have no problem finding a good spot to enjoy.
We certainly do not have cold water in the summer. From May until October, the water is generally warm and up to hot (80's) in the middle of summer.

I grew up in Charleston, moved to California for a couple of years and am back now. Hope this helps with your decision.
I lived in California for a long time (San Diego). Moved to Washington. Love it, but too darn cold and rainy. I'm curious what made you leave California? Where did you live? What do you like most about Charleston? Thanks!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:27 PM

40 posts, read 147,686 times
Default Portland/Charleston

Wow, what a contrast! If you like the beach, Isle of Palms outside of Charleston is warm enough 8 months out of the year. There are jobs in both places, but, other than professional, most jobs in Charleston may be tourist oriented. Like the cold and rain? Portland. Although remote in the country, you can drive up and down the east coast from Charleston and visit so many places within one or two day drives. The restaurants can't be beat in Charleston. The Food and Wine Festival in February is fantastic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina