Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 10:19 PM

152 posts, read 351,516 times

Advertisements

I agree the Timrod area is a good option for anyone working at McLeod. I wish there were more buyers than renters, or at least landlords who took better care of their properties. More so the closer you get to Palmetto St from the park. The park itself is great. While not a "bad" neighborhood, I've heard it called a "transitional" one several times. Perhaps downtown renovation will make investing in the Timrod Park area a positive proposition. Right now it's buy and cross your fingers. All hours foot traffic and occasional petty thefts (i.e. lawnmowers from yards) never do much for property values. With that said, I would consider buying in the neighborhood, as I think it will see an upswing in the coming years, with the nearby development and more students in the area. I'd also keep a weapon locked away, just in case (but that's true anywhere)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 06:36 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,946,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayRider View Post
I agree the Timrod area is a good option for anyone working at McLeod. I wish there were more buyers than renters, or at least landlords who took better care of their properties. More so the closer you get to Palmetto St from the park. The park itself is great. While not a "bad" neighborhood, I've heard it called a "transitional" one several times. Perhaps downtown renovation will make investing in the Timrod Park area a positive proposition. Right now it's buy and cross your fingers. All hours foot traffic and occasional petty thefts (i.e. lawnmowers from yards) never do much for property values. With that said, I would consider buying in the neighborhood, as I think it will see an upswing in the coming years, with the nearby development and more students in the area. I'd also keep a weapon locked away, just in case (but that's true anywhere)
Yeah, I lived there for two years in college and have friends that lived there throughout college and still does now that hes out and there definitely is some off the wall foot traffic around there but that really seems to be more confined to Coit Street more or less, once you get further into it, its better.

But I definitely agree with you on it being a neighborhood in transition that is on an upswing and only going up I feel like.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:11 PM

8,231 posts, read 13,350,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Yeah, I lived there for two years in college and have friends that lived there throughout college and still does now that hes out and there definitely is some off the wall foot traffic around there but that really seems to be more confined to Coit Street more or less, once you get further into it, its better.

But I definitely agree with you on it being a neighborhood in transition that is on an upswing and only going up I feel like.

Damn KAs and their toga parties..Need to import some soccer moms and get a good Neighborhood Association started..

Old 10-04-2015, 01:41 PM

545 posts, read 594,394 times
I am glad to hear about the development going on in Florence, especially in the downtown area. Posted pictures would be nice. The last time I was in downtown Florence was back in 2005 and the area frankly was a DUMP! I was actually shocked to see the downtown of the largest regional city to be in such a sorry shape at the time.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:39 AM

Yes.. things are looking up for the Magic City....We used to say back in the 90s it was called the Magic City because you needed a Magician to make something interesting happen.. That is not the case today...

Old 10-10-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancenc View Post
I am glad to hear about the development going on in Florence, especially in the downtown area. Posted pictures would be nice. The last time I was in downtown Florence was back in 2005 and the area frankly was a DUMP! I was actually shocked to see the downtown of the largest regional city to be in such a sorry shape at the time.
The downtown is beginning to take shape...more so than I would have thought years ago.

From last year's snow. The new museum (still unfinished at the time) at Dargan & Cheves. A really nice building.

From the corner of Palmetto & Dargan. The FMU Performing Arts Center is to the left, and the new museum is to the right at the Dargan/Cheves corner. The interior of the arts center is beautiful. I'm mixed on the outside. The building is OK, but I wish it was closer to the street, to give it a more urban feel. Unless they plan on putting the grass to use in the future, it seems to be wasted space similar to the massive library's unused Irby St grass frontage. Most seem to like the layout, though. It sure beats what was there before.

A closer look at the museum. Looking left the new FMU nursing building is going up (the one with purple insulation).

In front of that, next to the museum, will be a new parking garage & apartments...

These should make a bigger impact than the street-front apartments they built at Coit & Darlington 5 years ago. I don't know anyone who wants to live on that corner.

I'll try to post some better pics later.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayRider View Post
The downtown is beginning to take shape...more so than I would have thought years ago.

From last year's snow. The new museum (still unfinished at the time) at Dargan & Cheves. A really nice building.

From the corner of Palmetto & Dargan. The FMU Performing Arts Center is to the left, and the new museum is to the right at the Dargan/Cheves corner. The interior of the arts center is beautiful. I'm mixed on the outside. The building is OK, but I wish it was closer to the street, to give it a more urban feel. Unless they plan on putting the grass to use in the future, it seems to be wasted space similar to the massive library's unused Irby St grass frontage. Most seem to like the layout, though. It sure beats what was there before.

A closer look at the museum. Looking left the new FMU nursing building is going up (the one with purple insulation).

In front of that, next to the museum, will be a new parking garage & apartments...

These should make a bigger impact than the street-front apartments they built at Coit & Darlington 5 years ago. I don't know anyone who wants to live on that corner.

I'll try to post some better pics later.

That first pic of the Buick Taxi and the snow on the ground looks like some city in the NE or Midwest in the late 1980s in a 60 minutes documetary on something like " When the Auto Industry Folded our town never recovered......."

Old 03-12-2016, 07:34 AM

308 posts, read 469,173 times
The new apartments and parking garage is coming along nicely, the streetscape has begun. Cannot believe that Downtown Florence is finally seeing life again.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinachaos View Post
The new apartments and parking garage is coming along nicely, the streetscape has begun. Cannot believe that Downtown Florence is finally seeing life again.
Amen.. a lot of good stuff is finally happening and its long over due....

Old 06-19-2016, 02:29 PM

I see this thread has gotten bumped down, so it's time to add a few pictures.

Progress is being made on the new judicial center across from the County Complex. I assume these are the elevator shafts.

The FMU nursing building is almost completed

Work continues on the property on the NW corner of Dargan & Evans. Town Hall restaurant will occupy the lower floor, and it looks to be a first class operation.

James Allen Plaza next to the old Royall Knight building on Dargan

This is a view from 3 weeks ago that shows work on the formerly tacky Royal Knight building on the SW corner of Dargan/Evans. Streetscaping is still in progress which is why the road looks so rough

Here are some current views featuring construction of the apartments/parking garage going up on the corner of Cheves/Irby

And I'll wrap it up with a hazy image through my windshield
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina