Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:05 AM

125 posts, read 578,513 times

Advertisements

Charleston, SC vs. Portland, OR
Hi all,

I've lived in Portland, OR for about a year and 1/2. Originally from upstate NY.
Here's the thing - I love the west coast. But I miss the east coast. I'm super far away from my family and friends, who are all sprinkled up and down the east coast. I NEVER want to move back up to NY - I had ENUFF of the freezing winters and snow. So I'm thinking down South - Here are my issues -1. I know the lifestyle and general way of living is different - I know the south is more conservative, generally speaking. I'm a liberal, but not WAY left. Will I find pockets of like-mindedness in Charleston?

2. How easy is it to land a job if you don't know people? Is it more the right connections than the strength of your resume? I have over 5+ years in the banking/legal field; currently am in credit administration/loan operations out here, and make around $50K. will I find anything close to that salary down there?

3. I plan on returning to school to pursue my dream of a career in genetics-how adult-friendly (i.e. classes at night, on the weekends) is the College of Charleston?

4. How does the cost of living compare? Out here, a nice 3bd/2 ba with .5 - 1.0 acre will run you anywhere from $300,000 up to $600,000. We aren't as pricey as California, but are certainly close to the COL as some other major cities I have been in i.e. Seattle, Chicago, etc.

5. How is the traffic? Its crazy here-is Charleston getting too crowded?

6. How are the beaches? Lots of public access? Clean? Are there still areas that aren't overcrowded with tourists? Out here, the beaches are beautiful and never crowded - but I suppose that has to do with the fact that they are 1.5-2 hrs away from any major city, and they are cold, even in the summer. WATER IS FREEZING!

Anyone who has any insight, I'd LOVE TO HEAR. from natives and transplants alike, especially those who have made the move from the west coast to the east coast.

I'm an east coaster at heart, but the west coast is wonderful in all its differences.

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 02:04 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Well having spent just a little bit of time in Portland, and more time in the Tacoma, Washington area. I'd choose SC. Those Western towns are nice, but......like you I like warmer weather, and I like to swim, not just look at the ocean.
I love the East Coast very much. The up and coming area around Charleston is the Mt. Pleasant area. Quite hip, and interesting.
Job wise and school wise I am not the one to ask........I'm sure others will come along.
But, for living, at a good cost......for lower taxes, nice homes.......good surroundings.
I'd be living in Mt Pleasant, from the things you state that you'd like.
That area is comforting, and inviting.........try looking into the postings by using the search feature.........Good Luck to you.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:10 PM

7 posts, read 20,278 times
I am a Charleston native so I can answer some of your questions:
*As for conservative vs. liberal I think you fill find a good mix of both plus Charleston has been voted in the top ten friendliest cities in the US so even if someone has differing opinions they will more than likely not be overbearing.
* I am a Realtor and my husband is a mortgage loan officer for the last 6 years. He has made well over $100k a year for the last couple of years. Granted his business is commission only so having connections in the area helps unless you get with a reputable company and go after business.
* There are several colleges in the area so plenty of night classes. Colleges include College of Charleston, The Citadel, Charleston Southern University, Trident Technical College, Troy University, etc.
* I would say cost of living is not bad. Depending on the area and other criteria such as square footage, age of home, etc. your price for a 3bd,2ba home on large lot can range from $175k+.
* Traffic is not too bad. There are a couple of rush hours spots that get bumper to bumper from 7-8am and 5-6pm but generally they move and you add less than 30min to your normal commute time.
* The beaches are clean, easy access, and water warm enough to swim already (for northerners and kids). There are some more populated areas as well as less populated. It depends if you want conveniences such as restaurants, bathrooms, shops, and people.

I hope this helps a little. There is so much to do in Charleston. Last weekend we watched the Blessing of the Fleet on the Harbor under sunny 80 degrees skies with live music, seafood, and shrimp eating contest. End of May will start the Spoleto Festival which is only held in three cities in the World. That lasts for a few weeks. Something to do just about every night of the week. I wish you the best!

Old 05-01-2008, 03:28 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Shouldn't this thread be posted in the Charleston sub-forum?

Old 05-01-2008, 03:39 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Charleston is not overwhelmingly conservative and I know of plenty of other liberals that live there. It is the upper part of South Carolina that is extremely conservative. I think you'll find the real estate is somewhat more reasonable unless you want to live on the water and the economy is in pretty good shape. The summers are hot and humid, the fall is dry and mild and winters are mostly cool and dry with occasional rain and very rare snow. Spring can be all of the above. Charleston and Portland have little in common except their status as ports.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:47 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Actually having spent a good deal of time in Portland, I'd say the South Carolina city that is most similar in geographic feel as well as attitude would be Greenville. Charleston is the opposite of Portland.....very old South.

Areas outside Greenville feel like areas near the Oregon coast (Tillamook) for example.....rural and farmland. The city proper feels closest to Portlands city center....very vibrant, intown living, busy 7 days a week, coffee shops, bars, restaurants, etc, liberal, dense trees and a very "green" feel.

The suburbs of Greenville feel much like the Portland burbs....Beaverton = Simpsonville / West Hills = August Road / Tigard I-5 South area = Eastside and Lake Oswego (while we have no immediate area as beautiful as Lake Oswego, the growing foothill communities to the North along Lake Keowee and Lake Jocasse would be close).

Temps in Greenville, while still warmer, would be the closest.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:00 PM

Did you just use liberal and Greenville in the same sentence? Nothing could be further from the truth.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:21 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
There are lots of ultra left wing liberals living comfortably in Greenville though. You being a booster for a rival in-state city, I'm not surprised you said that. Being liberal in Greenville is not even remotely a problem, unless you are completely intollerant of all other viewpoints in the city.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
There are lots of ultra left wing liberals living comfortably in Greenville though. You being a booster for a rival in-state city, I'm not surprised you said that. Being liberal in Greenville is not even remotely a problem, unless you are completely intollerant of all other viewpoints in the city.
He used liberal as an adjective describing Greenville, which is absurd. The original poster asked about Charleston, anyway. I never said there weren't some liberal or even extremely liberal people that live in Greenville and probably live happily, but to use liberal as a description of Greenville is misleading to the woman wanting to move to Charleston. Additionally, the fact that I live in Columbia has nothing to do with this thread.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:58 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
He used liberal as an adjective describing Greenville, which is absurd. The original poster asked about Charleston, anyway. I never said there weren't some liberal or even extremely liberal people that live in Greenville and probably live happily, but to use liberal as a description of Greenville is misleading to the woman wanting to move to Charleston. Additionally, the fact that I live in Columbia has nothing to do with this thread.
Dude, get over the hate. My little gay *ss has found plenty of true "accepting" liberals in Greenville. And notice, I said "city center Greenville". I said nothing about the burbs, which are, just as all over the state, conservative. My partner and I have traveled extensively and been to the most liberal places that exist, both in the US and out. I know liberal and city center Greenville is. I agree Charleston is to a degree, but there is more of an old South element. I hesitate to mention Columbia, the ONLY city in South Carolina where I have ever been called f*gg*t! Just a note....having a university does not make a city liberal....conservatives have to attend college too. And before you throw up that Richland county always goes democratic, that is due it's large African-American population and very little to do with a true accepting liberal attitude.

Again, back to Portland. From spending time there, the closest match I find in SC is Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina