Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 07:25 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,954,864 times

Advertisements

if you want best of both worlds I would suggest moving to York County, SC. The Charlotte suburbs spill into that county. You're basically living for cheaper in SC but minutes away from Charlotte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 5,451 times
Default Check Prices for Yourself here.

If you want to check home prices go to www.843realtor.com
Here you can find a free MLS search for Horry and Georgetown County.
Horry County is the Little river, Myrtle Beach, Garden City area.
Georgetown County Murrells Inlet, Pawleys Island, Georgetown.
Coming in Jan/Feb should be the Charleston area MLS.
This service is free and you do not have to give out any information to use the search.
If you do want a Realtor to pick you up at the airport and show you listing just give a call and they can also help you.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:40 PM

196 posts, read 619,367 times
I resemble that remark! I am a half back, I moved to FL in 91' as soon as I had an opportunity from NJ since I hated the lifestyle of the NY metropolitian area and a lot of the attitudes. 2 years ago we started feeling the same thing in SE Florida and it was because a lot of people followed us down there. Cost of living went up, insurance went up and the pay really stayed the same since employers loved to say "cost of living is cheaper here" just to keep pay down. Well I did not want to leave the corporation so I waited and waited checking each morning for job openings and found one 18 months later in Charlotte and landed the transfer.

2 years ago when we visited NC (Stayed in Kannapolis for 2 weeks) and visited all of the major and not so major areas of the state it was cheaper except for at the Triad. Here I am now, still have 2 houses for sale in FL plus my Mom's and am a renter now while also a multiple homeowner. Things are getting more expensive all over the state. York County SC just over the border from Charlotte is not too bad and schools are good but you need to be careful where in the county you move to. Fort Mill is expensive but the schools are great.

Your selections for housing is going down in the inexpensive range. Sure you can buy a town home for $120K or $180K but it will not buy you much near the city. If you are willing to commute Lancaster, Western York, and Chester county have GREAT deals on larger property but some areas are very poor and Chester Co. schools just stink!

Take it from someone who did all the research and made the jump. The people are great and the weather is wonderful. If you want to move it will be 50/50 but then again from NJ it is more like 0/100. Get the job offer first and STALL FOR TIME. Come down for at least 4 days and visit the areas in commuting distance from the job and see if it is for you. I did the research and yes the area is great but I ended up 40 miles south from where I checked things and it's too far to travel and a different world down here, things also changes a LOT in 2 years with crime and population. My requirements are somewhat specific, I like space (10-15 acres) and a larger home, plus the schools need to be at least good, maybe not great but good and I am having a hard time at cost here in the Metro Charlotte area. If a town home or maybe .25 acre lot is good for you then your options in this area would be much wider than mine and you will be happy. That goes for anywhere in the state, you will find what you want and you can find it at a good price but unless you are retired you may not be able to get the place you want at a reasonable distance from work or even regular stores. I go to places where I would love to live for work, BUT when it takes me 30 minutes to get to the closest name brand gas station and another 5 or so to the supermarket, and 1 hour to the closest chain stores you got to sit back and say is cheaper really that much better ?

Old 12-09-2006, 12:47 PM

559 posts, read 2,115,405 times
Hi, everybody. Just found your site, but I "know" Bill Hitchcock. He's a realtor who often posts on another site I frequent, "Carolina Living." Hi, Bill! He gives good information, so I would definitely read his posts!

My husband (a retired Seattle firefighter) and I are looking to move back home (my home!) to the SC area and have been looking at real estate there, hence, my interest in this website. We are visiting my family just after Christmas, and I can't wait to begin the house hunt in earnest!

My daughter lives in Charlotte (she will be getting married next year), and my son is a junior at Clemson (Go Tigers!), so we will be looking for someplace in the York County area or thereabouts. If any of y'all have any thoughts on where we should look (I am from Chester, SC, but that's too far away from my daughter), I am all ears. We will only have about a week and a half but hopefully we can at least narrow down the area at that point.

Looking forward to hearing from y'all!

Old 12-09-2006, 04:16 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
if you want best of both worlds I would suggest moving to York County, SC. The Charlotte suburbs spill into that county. You're basically living for cheaper in SC but minutes away from Charlotte
I agree. My brother and his family live in York County (Lake Wylie) and love it there. It'd be a great choice!

Old 12-30-2006, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,473 times
Well I was born and raised in Charlotte, and loved it there (and still do like it for the most part) if for no other reason than bias. I left for a few years for military service, but spent most of that time in SC. I don't know how things are on the coast or the mountains, but in the Charlotte area, SC is less expensive, from my experience. I just recently moved into a new home in Fort Mill SC, which is on the SC side of the border from Charlotte, so its really a suburb of Charlotte. I love it, and I know a similar home in Charlotte (or Matthews, Gastonia, etc) would cost at least 10-20k more. I also love it since, even though its right next door to Charlotte, it is MUCH more quiet, has excellent schools, lower taxes and lower gas prices (can't forget about that part). As someone else pointed out before, I think NC is a little more progressive but as far a quality of life goes, I think SC takes the cake. I just got tired of the rising crime problem in Charlotte (which you'll have in any major city) and apparent wasteful spending of tax dollars.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,451 times
Default Not all Chester Schools Stink!!!! Lewisville is GREAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRich View Post
Chester Co. schools just stink!
Im sorry but you are somewhat incorrect. Do you have any children in a Chester School?.... YES I have heard that Some Chester Schools are bad ...HOWEVER my children attend Lewisville Middle and Lewisville High School which is located in Richburg South Carolina in the chester county school district.... and those schools ARE GREAT!!!!

Coming from Florida Schools...I have to honestly say.... Lewisville is by far better schools that the schools my children came from in Broward County Florida...... My children brag about how much more they learn and how much nice the teachers are here. The teacher truly care for the students. The school definetly less populated...but welcomed.

I would also like to mention that the teachers in Lewisville send you a letter or a post card to let you know how proud they are of your childrens accomplishments and/or just to let you know how much they love having your child/children in their class.... They go out of their way to make you and your students feel welcomed....THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN IN A FLORIDA SCHOOL......Teachers in the Middle and High Schools in Florida would NEVER take the time to do that...Elementary maybe....

Some counties that would include Lewisville Schools are Richburg, Fort Lawn, Edgemoor, and some parts of Chester... and from what I've heard... If you live in an area that requires you to go to a "Bad Chester School" you are able to get into the Lewisville Schools but Im not sure how that applies.

I just wanted to clarify that.... Just because MOST Chester County Schools are not highly recommended....doesnt mean it pertains to the entire school district...

Old 09-21-2007, 07:03 AM

12,877 posts, read 18,733,766 times
Default Columbia

There's nowhere else in the Carolinas where you can beat Columbia's schools and housing prices. Throw in the lakes, rivers, streams, nature trails, the performing arts, the university, the people and quick access to the coast and mountains, and it's a no-brainer. For inner-city schools choose Dreher High and the elementary and middle schools that feed it, or A.C. Flora High and its feeder schools. There are many high-quality suburban choices.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:10 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,369,761 times
That is completely debatable. Nothing wrong with opinions though.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:13 AM
tug

1 posts, read 5,064 times
I moved to greenvile sc 6 years ago from Boston and I have loved it the people are great ,the land is reasonable schools are ok the job market is on the raise.I will never move up north again. I built a home for under $200,000 that would have cost me $700,000 in boston so good luck and reaserch every option
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina