Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 707 times

Advertisements

Hi! My Boyfriend and I are wanting to move to South Carolina, but neither of us are to familiar with it. We are both originally from Georgia. Currently we live in Pennsylvania and would like to go back down south. I was hoping someone would have some incite as to where in South Carolina would be best for us. I am going to be a CNA within a few months and will have a Medical Assistant degree. My Boyfriend is a landscaper so some where with these jobs available would be greatly appreciated. We are looking for something small to start out such as an apartment or condo. Thank you for taking the time to read this and respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 09:05 PM

199 posts, read 257,882 times
If y'all have the time I would recommend making a trip down here. SC is broken down into three main area/regions, the Lowcountry, the Midlands, and the Upstate. The three main cities in the state are Charleston (right on the coast in the Lowcountry), Columbia (the state capitol and right in the middle of the state in the Midlands), and Greenville (in the mountains/Upstate). I don't know if y'all are beach people or mountain people but the state is small enough that no matter where you leave it's only a few hours drive to one or the other. With what y'all do for work you should be able to have some options in either Charleston, Columbia, or Greenville.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:21 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,915,303 times
Mickey,
If you are both originally from Georgia, why not move to Georgia?
You probably have some family there. They can help you out til you get jobs.
The rent in a city down here is high.
The wages are lower than what you would make in PA, so take that into consideration
when making a decision. You will need money.
Your boyfriend can landscape year round in South Carolina, does he do trees cutting?
Landscaping jobs don't pay all that well here, he will have to ask some companies.
CNA's make around 8.00 an hour here in South Carolina, and that is in the capital city
of Columbia.
You could probably rent a mobile home, for a lower rent payment, but your utilities will be
high due to little insulation.
You should definitely visit the major city area before you decide to move here.
And visit areas of Georgia too, the state is much better with Medicaid payments for visiting nurses
just in case you get into Home Care, which is huge down here.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:30 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,133,606 times
With a medical background, I would suggest a city where there are a lot of medical facilities. Charleston and Columbia have the most medical facilities. Both also have a lot of landscaping businesses. Greenville/Spartanburg would be the next biggest area with regard to medical facilities. After that, the medium sized cities all have at least one major hospital system. Myrtle Beach, Sumter, Florence, Orangeburg, Rock Hill. Of those, Myrtle Beach probably has the biggest landscaping opportunities.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:38 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,354,507 times
Actually I would suggest North Augusta. It's in SC, close to GA, has proximity to lots of medical facilities and has an very very low cost of living compared to the other cities listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina