Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2015, 05:54 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,350,387 times

Advertisements

S Carolina Shoppers Latest to Pay Taxes on Amazon Sales - ABC News

Yay 2016....

What are the chances that at least the roads will get fixed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 06:25 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
IMO, it's time. For a long time, I was a big fan of no sales tax on Internet orders, but I've come around to believing it's time for a level playing field. Well not really level because Amazon and the other biggies have a huge advantage of inventory, but the sales tax exemption has consistently given them a built-in price advantage over bricks-and-mortar stores.

Our church has an Amazon affiliate account, which gives us rebates for orders that were clicked-in to Amazon from the church website. In the past, Amazon has threatened to kill all SC affiliate accounts if they were required to collect in-state sales tax. So far, that threat has not yet shown up this time around.

Quote:
What are the chances that at least the roads will get fixed?
Don't hold your breath. Just another opportunity for Columbia to fight over income tax reduction vs. actually improving the state's condition. Business as usual...

Old 11-30-2015, 08:46 AM

295 posts, read 296,663 times
I always thought this [case] law was BS. The reason why I started buying online was not only because it was cheaper, but because I didn't want to support the states that I purchased from. It's a level playing field now more than before and I will continue to support Amazon, but I will continue to keep my money out of New York State until they stop their money-grubbing lawsuits and insane taxes. GFY NY.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:39 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineskyscrapers View Post
I always thought this [case] law was BS. The reason why I started buying online was not only because it was cheaper, but because I didn't want to support the states that I purchased from. It's a level playing field now more than before and I will continue to support Amazon, but I will continue to keep my money out of New York State until they stop their money-grubbing lawsuits and insane taxes. GFY NY.
What purchases do you make (presumably from South Carolina) that have New York state income tax collected?

Old 01-27-2017, 01:17 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
If everyone hasn't noticed, SC no longer has to pay sales tax. I didn't notice myself.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:52 PM

7,258 posts, read 4,624,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
If everyone hasn't noticed, SC no longer has to pay sales tax. I didn't notice myself.
Did something change?? I played around with a few things on Amazon and some are showing $0.00 for tax and others are charging.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:41 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoma View Post
Did something change?? I played around with a few things on Amazon and some are showing $0.00 for tax and others are charging.
Oh nevermind. Its only select items.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:09 PM

825 posts, read 1,124,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Oh nevermind. Its only select items.
Most likely the item was sold by a 3rd party seller. Only items sold by Amazon or a 3rd party seller based in SC are taxed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina