U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 09:49 PM

7,582 posts, read 3,999,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
Where are the beautiful historic buildings in Greenville? A Google image search "historic downtown Greenville" didn't turn much up, other than 80-year old highrises of the kind you'd find in Columbia.
Take a walk down Main Street, West End, and streets around Main Street.

I don't think you will find anyting like the Westin hotel in downtown Columbia.

If Greenville is so vanilla why do celebrities like Keven Costner and Ben Stein rave about it, Costner even lived nearby for awhile.

All the political pundits that come here for debates and other events rave about it on Twitter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 09:50 PM

2,880 posts, read 6,167,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Ok, I just looked at King and the market area. Didn't see many trees.

Give me a specific intersection. Not in a residential area. There are some at the battery as I mentioned already and along east bay or whatever street.

The College of Charleston campus area has a lot of oaks if memory serves. But I dont think a lot of adults who visit downton are hanging out around COC.
Is this the tree-filled downtown you've been speaking of? Main street looks nice. Other than that, I see office buildings and parking structures.
Attached Thumbnails
Charleston vs Greenville for permanent relocation-greenville.jpg  

Old 02-12-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I still doubt you have ever set foot in Charleston. Anything you describe can be gleaned from the net.

You called an aircraft carrier a battleship.

You don't realize that Market Street ends at the Cooper River.

King Street runs all the way down to the Ashley River.

Reading back through multiple pages, your story has changed multiple times.

Have a good life in Greenville.
Market street ends at cooper but not a lot of restaurants over there. It has been 7 years or so since i last was down there for extened period of time. It is not a riverfront city like Savannah or Wilmington in my opinion, you or somebody else was making it seem that way.

Correct me if I'm wrong but my memory tells me majority of rstaurants and bars are in the middle of the peninsula.

The Battery is away from the market area if memory serves. I think it would be a good long walk.

It's a big ship. I think an aircraft carrier can be seen as a battleship. Aren't they used in wars? I don't care about the ship, it is a tourist thing.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Is this the tree-filled downtown you've been speaking of? Main street looks nice. Other than that, I see office buildings and parking structures.
You ought to go down there sometime. There are residential areas around there as well, and you are relying on Charleston's residential areas to make case it has a lot of trees.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:58 PM

7,939 posts, read 3,190,526 times
Quote:
You are the one contradicting yourself. You've asserted like Charleston because of a European look, but people have said Greenville has a European feel. I was pointing that out to you specifiically because
you said that you like European looking cities and you think looking like European cities makes a city more metropolitan.

What city in Europe does Charleston look like? You can't answer that question.
You should be able to come up with one example. It doesn't look like Rome, Florence, London, Paris, or anything in Germany that I've seen pictures of.

Aren't the majority of cities in the US established by European immigrants? Yet you don't say they look European.

I don't see what is better about European culture. You can assert it but that seems highly subjective.
No, the majority of American cities were not founded by first generation Europeans who came over on a boat and started making themselves a town like back home. The majority of the East Coast was, such as Boston, St Augustine, New York, etc, but most cities have few resemblances to their original counter parts. St Augustine does, but has a very small historic district because it was always a small town. There are original historic districts in places like Philadelphia and Boston, but since preservation wasn't a thing until Charleston in the 1930's their districts are broken up a bit more separated by modern warehouses, gas stations, and condos .
Charleston along with Savannah, New Orleans, and Wilmington are among the original European style cities that's somewhat still intact.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about commercial areas of downtown, which is where majority of residents in the metro and tourists go. Most don't interact with the downtown residential areas.

I'm talking about Main Street in Greenville and comparing it to similar commercial areas in Charleston. It is an apples to apples comparison. Greenville residential areas have a lot of trees too, around North Main and Cleveland streets.
Tourists see plenty of Charleston's residential downtown, as it's a block or 2 from King St and the Battery. It sounds like you spent your time on King St and the market, and didn't like what you saw so didn't really explore the rest of the downtown.

I just looked up N Main and Cleveland street. These are suburbs, not downtown! Point me to the residential section of downtown. Downtowns with mixed residential and commercial are seen as more desirable.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:04 PM

I would like Charleston better if the Market Street stuff was right on the tip of the penisula behind the Battery park. Put the baseball stadium right there along with the aquarium and IMAX threatre.

I guess that is not practical due to flooding concerns.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Tourists see plenty of Charleston's residential downtown, as it's a block or 2 from King St and the Battery. It sounds like you spent your time on King St and the market, and didn't like what you saw so didn't really explore the rest of the downtown.

I just looked up N Main and Cleveland street. These are suburbs, not downtown! Point me to the residential section of downtown. Downtowns with mixed residential and commercial are seen as more desirable.
I did the horse carriage ride thing downtown when I first moved there. It was surprisengly interesting but we had this greybeard guide who was a character. But the area is basically old homes owned by rich people, it is not something I need to explore more than once.

There isn't much to do at Battery Park except look at the harbor, and I'm not going to walk over there from the commercial areas.

Cleveland and North Main are downtown residential areas. Cleveland Park is one of two main downtown parks. You don't know what the boundaries of downtown area are.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:06 PM

Let's throw in some data into this argument:

According to Zillow, the average home price in Greenville is $143,000. In Charleston its $253,000. What does this mean? Greenville is more affordable (a positive), and Charleston is more desirable (also a positive).

Old 02-12-2016, 10:07 PM

3,146 posts, read 1,795,310 times
Quote:
Market street ends at cooper but not a lot of restaurants over there.
Seriously, you've never set foot in Charleston. The part of Market Street closest to the Cooper is restaurants, bars, hotels, and shops. It has been for years.

Just stop. You obviously REALLY love Greenville. But I think the OP is looking for honest opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina