U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 01:37 PM

7,581 posts, read 3,994,519 times

Advertisements

I am talking about retailers and restaurants that Charleston and other places don't have. You are kind of using a strawman argument to talk about Ruby Tuesdays which are in very small towns too. If you are makiing the case Charleston is more cosmopolitan than another city, it does seem like it would have every chain restaurant that the other city has. Also Greenville has a ton of local places.

I never said Gville 'prides itself' on having Apple and other stores.

Gville was described as 'backward' by bulldog. I was responding to that. I don't have a problem with Charleston even though I prefer Gville. I've lived in Charleston. I don't think he made a good case for his assertion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 02:12 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,060,326 times
Greenville has resturants and places charleston dont have. Charleston has resturants and place greenville doesn't have. It all equals out the same. Its just more local places in charleston snd more chains in greenville.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Greenville has resturants and places charleston dont have. Charleston has resturants and place greenville doesn't have. It all equals out the same. Its just more local places in charleston snd more chains in greenville.
i don't think that is true, especially if you include Spartanburg and Anderson and Greer local places. I don't remember many local places in West Ashley and that is a major city burb.

I read somewhere that Gville has 120 restaurants in downtown, and most of those are local, or a local chain like Carolina Ale House.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:39 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,060,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i don't think that is true, especially if you include Spartanburg and Anderson and Greer local places. I don't remember many local places in West Ashley and that is a major city burb.

I read somewhere that Gville has 120 restaurants in downtown, and most of those are local, or a local chain like Carolina Ale House.
Well if you add those places you have to add north charleston. Mt Pleasant and summerville and all those places are alot closer than Spartanburg to greenville to greer

Old 02-12-2016, 02:42 PM

ok, I think the number of local places in Greenville and the burbs are enough to satisfy most people. Charleston probably has more it its downtown but there are a lot of tourists down there and the wait can be longer, and parking can be hassle.

Downtown Greer isn't far from downtown Greenville.

If you live out in the Summerville area which is probably the fastest growing suburb, getting downtown takes 30 minutes or so. I can get to Spartanburg and Anderson downtown in 30 minutes.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:53 PM

266 posts, read 228,706 times
Greenville's great.

But it's no Charleston. GOOD LUCK, OP!

Old 02-12-2016, 03:00 PM

how long did you live in Greenville, if ever? I don't get the impression you lived here long.

It is odd that you go from saying Greenville is backward to saying it is great within a few hours. That seems like a contradiction.

Living in Charleston is like everywhere else, other than near the beach, in my view. It is a decent place to live but it is very overhyped. I lived in West Ashley and I thought think much of it within 526 is an eyesore, and North Charleston about the same. The same chain restaurants you see everywhere else. I was surprised how little there is in that area for being the oldest Charleston burb.

If you prefer the mountains to the beach, Charleston obviously can't beat Greenville. It comes down to the beach vs mountains question for most people. I like Greenville's downtown much more, a lot more trees and a waterfall, and more modern looking.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-12-2016 at 03:43 PM..

Old 02-12-2016, 03:41 PM

4,539 posts, read 6,392,519 times
What I've found is, most people assessing Greenville that don't live in it have never set foot in the place. That's what I was saying when I commented that Bulldog is off some on his/her assessment. A city that centers a county of almost 500k people(largest county in sc) can't be that bad. I love it. I'm not religious or far right either and no one has beat me over the head. The area is constantly changing. OP please visit. You will see lots of bias and some of it won't be true. I wish you the best wherever you end up.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:21 PM

7,937 posts, read 3,187,069 times
I like Greenville, and the waterfall park is nice, and I like the fall foliage, but for restaurants it's tough to beat Charleston. Ruby Tuesdays was just a response to the claim that Cheesecake Factory means you've made the big time. It just sounds funny that's all. For out of staters who are looking for a franchise restaurant that reminds them of where they moved from, Greenville does seem to get those chains before Charleston does. There was a time I believed that if a city didn't have a PF Changs or a Chilis, it could hardly be called a city. Now I find that perspective kind of embarrassing.

I love the upstate's foliage and hills, and I like downtown Greenville. It's very affordable, conservative (plus for me), and has decent job opportunities, overall traffic seems tolerable, it's much closer to big metros like Atlanta and Charlotte, and I'm sure insurance is cheaper. But for Charleston, overall culture is leagues ahead. It caters to a much more artsy scene if you're into theater, food, and art walks. Charleston was chosen out of every other US city to host the Spoleto art festival every year specifically due to its "old world charm". Charleston is much more reminiscent of an historic European city than any other US city, especially Greenville.
History is unrivaled. Sure there's plantations and Civil War history, but there's Revolutionary, colonial, pirate, and WWII history as well. Gullah itself is its own cultural element and everything from the cuisine, architecture, and even the state's flag is all centered around Charleston.
Other aspects such as crime, schools, size, etc. is pretty much a draw. We don't have a Cheesecake Factory but we do have a bar George Washington drank at.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:28 PM

I never said it means 'we've made it big time'. I said if you are bragging about how metropolitan Charleston is compared to Greenville, why does Greenville have several things that Charleston does not. It is a valid point.

Greenville has a ton of local restaurants, Charleston isn't blowing Greenville out in that regard. It seems like you are trying to create impression Greenville only has chain restaurants.

Greenville has a ton of arts, plays and festivals. If you think Charleston is better for arts stuff, that's fine but it is as subjective anything. Greenville also has museums, and a zoo, which Charleston doesn't have.

The only history Charleston has over Greenville is basically war and slavery history. You can visit Charleston and knock most if not all of the history tourist things out in a day. But there was AMerican revolution battles in the upstate, cowpens, king mountain for example. Greenville does have history as does any city. It is subjective say one town's history is better than another.

I don't think most people in Charleston are emerged in history that much down there. Walking at the Battery isn't really history related.

I don't think Charleston looks like European city at all. What European city does it look like? I'm ok with Gville looking like an American city. I don't see Europe as better than the US.

Downtown Charleston is a lot older than Greenville's downtown. In my view that does not make it more metropolitan. I personally prefer a more modern downtown with some older historical buildings mixed in.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-12-2016 at 05:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina