U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 05:02 PM

7,533 posts, read 3,936,834 times

Advertisements

Greenville has a arts festival every year called Artisphere.

From the Artisphere website:

Artisphere has been named #17 out of the “100 Best” Art Shows in the country by Sunshine Artist Magazine, a Top 10 Fine Arts and Fine Craft festival by Art Fair Sourcebook, and #3 out of the 20 finalists in USA Today's 10Best Reader's Choice Award for Best Art Festival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 05:07 PM

29,719 posts, read 27,143,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I don't think there is a stark difference between the two on politics. The Charleston suburbs are heavily Republican, the downtown area is more Democrat.
The Upstate is easily the most conservative part of the state. That's not to say that Charleston is SC's version of San Francisco, but it's certainly not as conservative.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The Upstate is easily the most conservative part of the state. That's not to say that Charleston is SC's version of San Francisco, but it's certainly not as conservative.
How do you know? Have you lived in Charleston and Greenville?

I know the burbs in Charleston vote Republican big time including Mount Pleasant. Does Mark Sanford seem like a politician who could not win Greenville's congressional district?

I have many friends who live in Charleston and I lived down there for awhile, there are plenty of conservatives there.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
How do you know? Have you lived in Charleston?

I know the burbs in Charleston vote Republican big time including Mount Pleasant. Does Mark Sanford seem like a politician who could not win Greenville's congressional district?

I have many friends who live in Charleston and I lived down there for awhile, there are plenty of conservatives there.
How do I know? For one, because of something called election data LOL.

I said Charleston is less conservative than Greenville, not that it doesn't have any conservatives Francis. Come on, we should have learned this lesson by now.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:15 PM

The election data shows both cities are more Democrat in the downtown area and Republican in the suburbs. That is pretty common throughout the country.

Where do you live? Based on some of your previous posts in SC forum, I did not get the impression you live in SC. I thought actually you lived in Florida given your passionate particpation in the long discussion about Miami and Jacksonville on a post about Charleston and Columbia.

I think ZIgg only has a little knowledge of Greenville. He is big into the arts but never heard of Artisphere or the Peace Center?

If Charleston is more liberal why did they vote for Mark Sanford who could win in Greenville? You can't answer that question with your premise.

It is also worth pointing out that being more liberal does not mean it is more metropolitan, that is a subjective thing and unrelated to what I'm talking about. There are defintely a lot of liberal and Democrats in Greenville.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-12-2016 at 05:54 PM..

Old 02-12-2016, 05:34 PM

Charleston's congressional district has be represented by a Republican since 1981. 35 years. I believe every one of them could have been elected in Greenville. Bulldog described Charleston as a liberal city, and part of his reasoning for that is our local politicians, yet they are all similar to Sanford.

Tim Scott won the Charleston district with 65 percent of the vote a few years ago.

If you are going to talk about election data, at least look at it first.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 02-12-2016 at 05:48 PM..

Old 02-12-2016, 06:01 PM

Yeah you still miss the point. But carry on.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:09 PM

7,904 posts, read 3,149,233 times
Quote:
Greenville has a arts festival every year called Artisphere.

From the Artisphere website:

Artisphere has been named #17 out of the “100 Best” Art Shows in the country by Sunshine Artist Magazine, a Top 10 Fine Arts and Fine Craft festival by Art Fair Sourcebook, and #3 out of the 20 finalists in USA Today's 10Best Reader's Choice Award for Best Art Festival.
I'm not an art enthusiast. I'm just pointing out Charleston is pretty big into the art scene. Artisphere sounds like its actual art you buy and it's a weekend long. Spoleto is a decades old 17 day long performing arts event.

Last edited by Ziggy100; 02-12-2016 at 06:33 PM..

Old 02-12-2016, 06:20 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,052,418 times
Everyone loves their city. We mi as well get columbia in this convo and say its better than charleston and greenville lmao

Old 02-12-2016, 06:32 PM

7,904 posts, read 3,149,233 times
Quote:
I never said it means 'we've made it big time'. I said if you are bragging about how metropolitan Charleston is compared to Greenville, why does Greenville have several things that Charleston does not. It is a valid point.

Greenville has a ton of local restaurants, Charleston isn't blowing Greenville out in that regard. It seems like you are trying to create impression Greenville only has chain restaurants.

Greenville has a ton of arts, plays and festivals. If you think Charleston is better for arts stuff, that's fine but it is as subjective anything. Greenville also has museums, and a zoo, which Charleston doesn't have.

The only history Charleston has over Greenville is basically war and slavery history. You can visit Charleston and knock most if not all of the history tourist things out in a day. But there was AMerican revolution battles in the upstate, cowpens, king mountain for example. Greenville does have history as does any city. It is subjective say one town's history is better than another.

I don't think most people in Charleston are emerged in history that much down there. Walking at the Battery isn't really history related.

I don't think Charleston looks like European city at all. What European city does it look like? I'm ok with Gville looking like an American city. I don't see Europe as better than the US.

Downtown Charleston is a lot older than Greenville's downtown. In my view that does not make it more metropolitan. I personally prefer a more modern downtown with some older historical buildings mixed in.
Downtown very much looks like a European city because it is one. West Ashley and North Charleston might not, but downtown is about 100 years older than the US is. A European city (historic one anyway) looks like Charleston. Spoleto USA was chosen to be in Charleston from representatives from Spoleto Italy for this reason. Charleston is also in consideration to become a world heritage site.
The battery is very much historical considering most of the homes are over 200 years old and some were owned by signers of the Declaration of Independence. It also makes a nice post card. Everything from America's first passenger train to the Gadsen Purchase came from Charleston. Not only do we have museums but we have the oldest museum in the US. I'm barely scratching the surface on the history thing.
Sorry but Kings Mountain and Cowpens are not in Greenville. Either way , they're simply battlefields.

Greenville has a lot going for it, but history isn't one of them. As you've said its more modern, which you prefer anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina