U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 08:42 PM

7,590 posts, read 4,014,719 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of cities that have architecture, mild weather (Greenville for example). Most any medium sized city has food and bars and party options. This isn't unique stuff.

The palm trees are part of the beach experience.

People who want to go to the beach but be near a real city go to Charleston.

I grew up in Columbia and went to college in SC. I went to Charleston a lot for spring break and summer break and it had nothing to do with the history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
You're opinion is just as valid as anyone else's, but you are in the miniscule minority for thinking that aethetically Greenville is more attractive. I will tell you as someone who has lived outside of the South for a while, that no one thinks about Greenville outside of the state. This is for a reason. You have to take a step back and ask yourself "am I the crazy one here or is everyone else crazy"?

Pine trees? In downtown? I think of Palmetto trees when I think of downtown.
I have lived outside of the South too.

I understand many northerners go crazy for Charleston. But their hype isn't the reality.

I believe 75 percent of people would find Greenville more athestically pleasing due to the hardwoods along main street, and the waterfall and park around it. To me, Charleston isn't that pleasing to the eye, it is old. I think the Falls Park is ranked much higher on various tourist websites like TripAdvisor than any park in Charleston.

But if it wasn't near the beach, it wouldn't be getting talked about that much. Most people are not going to travel to a city in Nebraska for the architecture and history.

Charleston is mostly a big pine forest. That is vanilla to me, and I find the palm trees to be ugly. There are not a lot of trees in downtown Charleston.

If nobody up north and elsewhere knows about Greenville, why are so many transplants moving here? You've already said you know little about Gville but you keep making assertions about it.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:50 PM

3,152 posts, read 1,803,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I used to live there. It is an ok place to live, especially if you like the beach. Other than going to the beach, what can people do there that they can't do elsewhere? How many times are people going to go out to the fort or to the battleship or the slave plantation or the angel oak. That is tourist stuff to me.
But you lived in Charleston proper? Because one of my favorite things about the actual city of Charleston is the beautiful trees.

I won't dismiss your opinion, but we see things from a completely opposite perspective. But I can kayak or canoe all the rivers. I can interact with history. I personally prefer the local restaurants here, but again, that's opinion.

Greenville has done a remarkable job with downtown. I'll certainly grant you that.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
There are not a lot of trees in downtown Charleston.
Sorry, but this is just wrong. I'm beginning to doubt you have ever set foot in Charleston.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Sorry, but this is just wrong. I'm beginning to doubt you have ever set foot in Charleston.
It has as many hardwoods as downtown Greenville? King Street doesn't have many trees.

There are palm trees along the road by the harbor. I find those to be ugly though. And some oaks down at the Battery.

It's been a fw years since I been down there but I dn't recall many trees in the market area or King Street. Those are the main areas.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:58 PM

7,951 posts, read 3,202,046 times
Quote:
I used to live there. It is an ok place to live, especially if you like the beach. Other than going to the beach, what can people do there that they can't do elsewhere? How many times are people going to go out to the fort or to the battleship or the slave plantation or the angel oak. That is tourist stuff to me.
In case you forgot what Charleston was like:
Charleston voted best city in US - Business Insider

You could say the same with Falls Park or the hills. It comes down to personal preference and you admit you're not much a history buff and you like hills, and hate Europe so you've made a wise choice.

And the Yorktown is clearly an aircraft carrier not a battleship. Must not be much of a Navy enthusiast either.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:02 PM

So, you've picked two streets. In all the neighborhoods surrounding those streets, there are beautiful old oaks and other trees along all the streets.

This may think this rude, but you probably looked at some pictures of Charleston and reached your opinion that way. Just hit up Google Maps in 3D. Then come back.

2,880 posts, read 6,170,674 times
Quote:
I have lived outside of the South too.

I understand many northerners go crazy for Charleston. But their hype isn't the reality.

I believe 75 percent of people would find Greenville more athestically pleasing due to the hardwoods along main street, and the waterfall and park around it. To me, Charleston isn't that pleasing to the eye, it is old. I think the Falls Park is ranked much higher on various tourist websites like TripAdvisor than any park in Charleston.

But if it wasn't near the beach, it wouldn't be getting talked about that much. Most people are not going to travel to a city in Nebraska for the architecture and history.

Charleston is mostly a big pine forest. That is vanilla to me, and I find the palm trees to be ugly. There are not a lot of trees in downtown Charleston.

If nobody up north and elsewhere knows about Greenville, why are so many transplants moving here? You've already said you know little about Gville but you keep making assertions about it.
I guess my issue is that you're not recognizing that Charleston and Greenville have different strengths. I can't tell you what your eye should see as pleasing, but 99/100 would find the streets of downtown Charleston pleasing to the eye. We're just arguing about subjective stuff, but you're the one making comments that other people's opinions are wrong (e.g. your comment about Northerners not having a clue about Charleston). I could say that your comments about Greenville, including referencing Greenville's own website to talk about its Europeaness, are hype.

Why are transplants moving to Greenville? Jobs and low property values. This is a strength of the upstate. But make no mistake - Greenville isn't viewed as some mecca. But keep in mind that transplants are moving to Charleston as well. Its future is looking bright economically.

So how is Charleston 'mostly a big pine forest' yet is also supposely lacking in trees? Also, the beach factors into Charleston's appeal, obviously. It's a harbor city. Its rivers, harbor, and islands is one of the interesting things about Charleston. Hypothetically placing Charleston in Nebraska would be like taking Aspen to Florida. C'mon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
In case you forgot what Charleston was like:
Charleston voted best city in US - Business Insider

You could say the same with Falls Park or the hills. It comes down to personal preference and you admit you're not much a history buff and you like hills, and hate Europe so you've made a wise choice.

And the Yorktown is clearly an aircraft carrier not a battleship. Must not be much of a Navy enthusiast either.
Actually I like history more than most people who talk about how they love CHarleston for the history. How many of them read a biography about Alexandar Hamilton for example. Probably a very low percentage. when they say they like history, they mean they like places that are old and have a historical vibe and colonial architecture. A true history buff reads books about history, looks at websites about history.

When I worked up in northern NJ for a few months, I went to the area next to the Hudson where Hamilton had the duel that killed him. They don't highlight this dueling ground like it would be if it was down south. I doubt most people who talk about the history in Charleston all the time would go to the Hamilton dueling round in northern NJ. Many of them probably don't even know Hamilton was killed in a duel or much about him at all.

My Boy Scout troop spent the weekend on that ship several times, ran around all over the ship. I don't remember anything about it and never had a desire to go back as an adult.

I don't hate Europe. I just don't see it as better than the US as you do. Your definition of metropolitian appears to be the city looks European, which isn't even true for Charleston. I could post pictures of European cities on here all day and they won't look like Charleston. And I've pointed out many people have said Greenville has a European flavor with wide sidewalks, sidewalk cafes, etc.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:08 PM

7,951 posts, read 3,202,046 times
Quote:
It has as many hardwoods as downtown Greenville? King Street doesn't have many trees.

There are palm trees along the road by the harbor. I find those to be ugly though. And some oaks down at the Battery.

It's been a fw years since I been down there but I dn't recall many trees in the market area or King Street. Those are the main areas.
Im beginning to think you've missed out on some major parts of the Charleston experience, or maybe just extremely biased. I don't think I've heard anyone say that palmetto trees near the harbor are ugly before. It's the state tree and everybody else seems to love the look. It's even on our flag.

Your right, King Street, the Market, most of East Bay don't have massive trees. Those are mostly commercial corridors however the majority of the city is covered in trees. Most people equate Charleston with Spanish moss covered oaks, crepe myrtles, and palmettos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina