U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-12-2016, 09:30 PM
 
7,938 posts, read 3,187,069 times
Reputation: 5450

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Actually I like history more than most people who talk about how they love CHarleston for the history. How many of them read a biography about Alexandar Hamilton for example. Probably a very low percentage. when they say they like history, they mean they like places that are old and have a historical vibe and colonial architecture. A true history buff reads books about history, looks at websites about history.

When I worked up in northern NJ for a few months, I went to the area next to the Hudson where Hamilton had the duel that killed him. They don't highlight this dueling ground like it would be if it was down south. I doubt most people who talk about the history in Charleston all the time would go to the Hamilton dueling round in northern NJ. Many of them probably don't even know Hamilton was killed in a duel or much about him at all.

My Boy Scout troop spent the weekend on that ship several times, ran around all over the ship. I don't remember anything about it and never had a desire to go back as an adult.

I don't hate Europe. I just don't see it as better than the US as you do. Your definition of metropolitian appears to be the city looks European, which isn't even true for Charleston. I could post pictures of European cities on here all day and they won't look like Charleston. And I've pointed out many people have said Greenville has a European flavor with wide sidewalks, sidewalk cafes, etc.
You're saying a lot of contradictory stuff here. You don't hate Europe, you just don't see it better than the US as I apparently do, but Charleston is nothing like pictures of Europe anyway, but Greenville is because it's got big sidewalks and cafes. I don't know where to begin. We can start by saying it's obvious you've never been to Europe. There's nothing wrong with that, but I've spent 6 months there so I have a few more things to go off other than Google photos. I don't think Europe is better than America, but when it comes to culture it's typically the benchmark rightfully so or not. Charleston is very European because it was established by Europeans. Known fact. Even Charleston's plantations appear more like English country homes than Gone with the Wind. One comment I always hear tourist mention is how Middleton Place doesn't look policies they were expecting. Of course not, it's about 100 years older than they were expecting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2016, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,582 posts, read 3,994,519 times
Reputation: 2906
I remember golfing at a Pine Forest Country Club, I believe out in summerville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Fairfax
2,880 posts, read 6,166,824 times
Reputation: 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I"m talking about commercial area of downtown, not residential.

This would be like me trying to argue the Columbia downtown has a lot of trees because the residential area over in Shandon has a lot of trees, even though the VIsta is the commerical district and doesn't have many trees.

My perspective is from a person who doesn't live in downtowns.
We're talking downtowns. Who cares if its residential or commercial? One of the nice things about Charleston is that residential and commercial areas are all walkable (if one can afford to live there).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 09:37 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,582 posts, read 3,994,519 times
Reputation: 2906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
You're saying a lot of contradictory stuff here. You don't hate Europe, you just don't see it better than the US as I apparently do, but Charleston is nothing like pictures of Europe anyway, but Greenville is because it's got big sidewalks and cafes. I don't know where to begin. We can start by saying it's obvious you've never been to Europe. There's nothing wrong with that, but I've spent 6 months there so I have a few more things to go off other than Google photos. I don't think Europe is better than America, but when it comes to culture it's typically the benchmark rightfully so or not. Charleston is very European because it was established by Europeans. Known fact. Even Charleston's plantations appear more like English country homes than Gone with the Wind. One comment I always hear tourist mention is how Middleton Place doesn't look policies they were expecting. Of course not, it's about 100 years older than they were expecting.
You are the one contradicting yourself. You've asserted like Charleston because of a European look, but people have said Greenville has a European feel. I was pointing that out to you specifiically because
you said that you like European looking cities and you think looking like European cities makes a city more metropolitan.

What city in Europe does Charleston look like? You can't answer that question.
You should be able to come up with one example. It doesn't look like Rome, Florence, London, Paris, or anything in Germany that I've seen pictures of.

Aren't the majority of cities in the US established by European immigrants? Yet you don't say they look European.

I don't see what is better about European culture. You can assert it but that seems highly subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 09:40 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,582 posts, read 3,994,519 times
Reputation: 2906
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
We're talking downtowns. Who cares if its residential or commercial? One of the nice things about Charleston is that residential and commercial areas are all walkable (if one can afford to live there).
I'm talking about commercial areas of downtown, which is where majority of residents in the metro and tourists go. Most don't interact with the downtown residential areas.

I'm talking about Main Street in Greenville and comparing it to similar commercial areas in Charleston. It is an apples to apples comparison. Greenville residential areas have a lot of trees too, around North Main and Cleveland streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Fairfax
2,880 posts, read 6,166,824 times
Reputation: 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I never pointed to Cheesecake Factory as some big deal. I pointed out Charleston doesn't have something that you say is run of the mill chain. It is easy to understand that point, if you want to.

You were the one saying Greenville is vanilla. That definitely not how most people describe it.

I'll take a waterfall downtown over a river, and the river isn't really part of the downtown experience. The market area and king are kind of away from the river. Cities like Savannah and WIlmington are much more river front oriented than Charleston.

The waterfall in downtown Gville is right on main street.

I personally find the historical buildings in downtown Greenville more pleasing to the eye.
I never said vanilla is bad. But if Greenville isn't vanilla, then nowhere is.

The Cooper River is just a few blocks from King St. Savannah may seem more river-oriented, and that's because it is. It's downtown is significantly smaller and is focused on the bank of one river. Charleston is harbor-oriented and is large enough that the very middle of it is a 10 minute walk or so from the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 09:42 PM
 
7,938 posts, read 3,187,069 times
Reputation: 5450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I never pointed to Cheesecake Factory as some big deal. I pointed out Charleston doesn't have something that you say is run of the mill chain. It is easy to understand that point, if you want to.

You were the one saying Greenville is vanilla. That definitely not how most people describe it.

I'll take a waterfall downtown over a river, and the river isn't really part of the downtown experience. The market area and king are kind of away from the river. Cities like Savannah and WIlmington are much more river front oriented than Charleston.

The waterfall in downtown Gville is right on main street.

I personally find the historical buildings in downtown Greenville more pleasing to the eye.
The Market is just a block off the river. I hate to think what your opinions of Savannah and Wilmington are. Bunch of barren treeless wastelands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Murrica
3,140 posts, read 1,792,147 times
Reputation: 2134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Ok, I just looked at King and the market area. Didn't see many trees.

Give me a specific intersection. Not in a residential area. There are some at the battery as I mentioned already and along east bay or whatever street.

The College of Charleston campus area has a lot of oaks if memory serves. But I dont think a lot of adults who visit downton are hanging out around COC.
I still doubt you have ever set foot in Charleston. Anything you describe can be gleaned from the net.

You called an aircraft carrier a battleship.

You don't realize that Market Street ends at the Cooper River.

King Street runs all the way down to the Ashley River.

Reading back through multiple pages, your story has changed multiple times.

Have a good life in Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Fairfax
2,880 posts, read 6,166,824 times
Reputation: 1230
Where are the beautiful historic buildings in Greenville? A Google image search "historic downtown Greenville" didn't turn much up, other than 80-year old highrises of the kind you'd find in Columbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 09:47 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,582 posts, read 3,994,519 times
Reputation: 2906
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
I never said vanilla is bad. But if Greenville isn't vanilla, then nowhere is.

The Cooper River is just a few blocks from King St. Savannah may seem more river-oriented, and that's because it is. It's downtown is significantly smaller and is focused on the bank of one river. Charleston is harbor-oriented and is large enough that the very middle of it is a 10 minute walk or so from the water.

Greenville has won numerous Main Street awards and leaders from cities all over the country come to Greenville to study the downtown area and take back ideas to implement for their downtown.

How is this possible if its vanilla?

Sure you can walk over to the water in downtown charleston. It is not integrated into the downtown.
You also have the baseball stadium on the other side of the peninsula not near the business districts. Greenville's is right near Main Street and the waterfall and numerous restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top