U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 09:32 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,510,884 times

Advertisements

Well, the Mayor of Seneca said tonight, its not going anywhere.

Tell me all you want I am wrong or unconstitutional on this and i'll tell you to use common sense and ask yourself if a cross serving as a memorial in a water plant not open to the public in a city you dont live in is really a valid concern of yours or in someway infringes on your rights as an American to be free from any religion? OR rather trying take advantage of constitutional law simply to kick up dust and make a point because you just like to protest anything and everything you can?

I know the folks at the FFRF are not dumb people, so there is no way they can legitimately see this cross as an endorsement of religion having a full understanding of its meaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 01:52 AM

7,910 posts, read 3,151,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
The Supreme Curt won't even hear these cases anymore. Case law is clear. Even from the most conservative of justices.

Whoever made the majority comment needs to re-visit Constitutional Law 101.
The constitution and separation of church and state simply means you can be sentence to death because some cleric quoting a bible verse says so. It simply abolishes a theocracy. Aside from that religion is clearly protected. Interpreting this memorial as endorsing a specific religion is really a stretch.

If anyone really just sided with the minority simply because technically not specified in the constitution then polygamy would be just as legal as any other marriage. Obviously there is some common sense that has to be applied at some point.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:54 AM

3,077 posts, read 1,759,233 times
Ziggy, All that populist BS doesn't a matter a bit. Building a cross into the side of a building is pure stupidity. Did they think no one would take offense?

Also, your view of the Constitution is quaint, but completely unrealistic. Whose version of "common sense"?

Last edited by m1a1mg; 02-24-2016 at 06:15 AM..

Old 02-24-2016, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Well, the Mayor of Seneca said tonight, its not going anywhere.

Tell me all you want I am wrong or unconstitutional on this and i'll tell you to use common sense and ask yourself if a cross serving as a memorial in a water plant not open to the public in a city you dont live in is really a valid concern of yours or in someway infringes on your rights as an American to be free from any religion? OR rather trying take advantage of constitutional law simply to kick up dust and make a point because you just like to protest anything and everything you can?

I know the folks at the FFRF are not dumb people, so there is no way they can legitimately see this cross as an endorsement of religion having a full understanding of its meaning.
So, your definition of common sense trumps the Constitution of the United States. Will Seneca be seceding soon?

So, basically, you're saying stay out of our business because the majority of people in Seneca want it? Have you conducted a survey of Seneca residents to verify this position. The reason groups exist to protect the Constitutional rights of the minority is due to people just like you. "It's OK that we do it because most of us want it". Reality, thankfully, doesn't allow that. And it really doesn't matter what the mayor of Seneca, SC says either. It isn't legal under standing case law. And that just isn't those dang liberal USSC justices either.

There are still, unfortunately, small enclaves in SC that would favor segregation. Should they be allowed? Most of the residents want it?

The bolded part made me laugh. It's basically saying, I see it this way, how can anyone else not? The only thing you missed was a Clintonian, "rational person". They were big on that.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
So, your definition of common sense trumps the Constitution of the United States. Will Seneca be seceding soon?

So, basically, you're saying stay out of our business because the majority of people in Seneca want it? Have you conducted a survey of Seneca residents to verify this position. The reason groups exist to protect the Constitutional rights of the minority is due to people just like you. "It's OK that we do it because most of us want it". Reality, thankfully, doesn't allow that. And it really doesn't matter what the mayor of Seneca, SC says either. It isn't legal under standing case law. And that just isn't those dang liberal USSC justices either.

There are still, unfortunately, small enclaves in SC that would favor segregation. Should they be allowed? Most of the residents want it?

The bolded part made me laugh. It's basically saying, I see it this way, how can anyone else not? The only thing you missed was a Clintonian, "rational person". They were big on that.
Read up on Van Orden vs Perry:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Orden_v._Perry

Basically when one person has a problem with it, it's the person who has the problem.
I'm about as agnostic as it gets, and I even find this lawsuit frivolous and stupid. Going from town to town instigating the locals so some sensitive type who feels like they're being pressured into Christianity because of a memorial is counterproductive and a waste of money. Is this country really in such good shape we really have the money and effort available to be splitting hairs on how secular a small simple memorial at a a small town water plant should be?

If the 10 Commandments monument in front of the Texas Capital was found by the Supreme Court to be constitutional, this is a complete waste of time.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:00 AM

The Ten Commandments are secular, representing both Christianity and Judaism. The cross represents one religion.

Further, you keep using common sense as though your opinion on the subject is universal. Quite obviously, it is not.

God bless. I am a Christian who believes that my religion and my politics should be two separate things.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
The Ten Commandments are secular, representing both Christianity and Judaism. The cross represents one religion.

Further, you keep using common sense as though your opinion on the subject is universal. Quite obviously, it is not.

God bless. I am a Christian who believes that my religion and my politics should be two separate things.
This doesn't make sense. The Ten Commandments are secular because they represent two religions?

How is the water company intermingling politics and religion? Are they charging atheist more for sewage or something?
The Supreme Court pretty much agreed with my assessment.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
This doesn't make sense. The Ten Commandments are secular because they represent two religions?
Maybe you should have read the opinion you posted. The USSC has consistently ruled against crosses.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:05 PM

1,765 posts, read 3,836,794 times
Personally, looking at the "cross" made into the wall, where you have to really look at it to
see what it is, I don't understand what all the nonsense is about.
They really should have spent a little bit of money and made the man a proper plaque.
It doesn't even look like any kind of a Memorial at all, it mentions nothing.
Mabey people who worked at the water plant will take a collection and buy a proper
plaque, it doesn't have to be expensive, just something to mention who died and why.
It looks like the whole story is nonsense.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Maybe you should have read the opinion you posted. The USSC has consistently ruled against crosses.
It's pretty hard to rule against a memorial. As mentioned earlier, in Arlngton you'll find thousands of crosses inscribed there, paid for by the government on government property.

Again, what actual harm is being done? There isn't any. Somebody is just wasting time and money to get things changed for the sake of changing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or