U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 05:59 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,518,164 times

Advertisements

Freedom from Religion Foundation complains about cross memorial at Seneca water plant

Im not too sure if you all have heard of this story or not out of Seneca, but to give you the summary, a man who worked at the city's water plant died on the job. In a wall inside the fence of the plant where he died a memorial was placed within the stone wall as a memorial to the man.

Now the Freedom From Religion Foundation found out and has contacted the city of Seneca to have it removed.

Whether you are a Christian, of another faith, or of no faith at all, I would hope that you would side with the City of Seneca on constructing this. It is a memorial for someone who died in public service and in a place that only employees working there can see.

I think what scares me the most is how they discuss their intentions and efforts to have crosses removed from the side of roadways that serve as memorials for people who died in car accidents that were placed there and maintained privately as a memorial for the families and friends of those who died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 06:23 PM

7,943 posts, read 3,193,894 times
I'm not religious, but stupid groups like this makes me want to plant a cross everywhere. Are they really that worried about a Christian water company?

Old 02-22-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I'm not religious, but stupid groups like this makes me want to plant a cross everywhere. Are they really that worried about a Christian water company?
Theyre mad that its on city land even though its not even visible from the road and is behind the fence where only his former co-workers can see it.

I mean this is one of those that even for the FFRF is just ridiculous and is truly causing more harm than good. They interviewed the daughter of the man and shes upset and rightfully so, this is causing more pain for a family that has clearly been through a rough time and for what? To have a cross removed from a place that only few people will see it anyway? Come on

Old 02-22-2016, 07:11 PM

3,033 posts, read 2,193,522 times
Someone in the community, probably someone who works there, complained about it not being part of his religion, or some such. This person is the one who contacted the group. Id just tell the group to stick it!!!

Old 02-22-2016, 07:42 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,884,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
To have a cross removed from a place that only few people will see it anyway? Come on
Even if it was visible, it shouldn't matter.

Christians get a lot of flack for "imposing their beliefs on others", but what exactly is this group doing? "We don't like to look at crosses, so no one should have to look at crosses!"

Go get a real hobby.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Even if it was visible, it shouldn't matter.

Christians get a lot of flack for "imposing their beliefs on others", but what exactly is this group doing? "We don't like to look at crosses, so no one should have to look at crosses!"

Go get a real hobby.
Completely agree. I hope the City of Seneca tells them to go jump in a lake. Not Keowee though, another lake much further away from here!

Old 02-22-2016, 07:55 PM

8,965 posts, read 7,741,639 times
I say religious objects/articles are not proper on public property. If they want to honor the man there are non-religious ways to do so. A plaque with his name on it and thanks for his service would do nicely. Get religion out of government.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I say religious objects/articles are not proper on public property. If they want to honor the man there are non-religious ways to do so. A plaque with his name on it and thanks for his service would do nicely. Get religion out of government.
Religion isnt in government in this case if you look at it with common sense. This is not the city of Seneca instituting a religion, its honoring a man who died while in public service to the community and was a Christian. To have outsiders like this group file complaints to the city and suggest what is and what is not an appropriate way to honor this man IMO is really not their call to make.

The other side of this is that its there now, it was put there whether or not it should have (however you want to look at it) and its there now. Forcing the city to take it down costs money, division, and pain for the family and friends of this man. Why they can't just let it go im not sure.

As a Christian I would never suggest that an Atheist symbol or symbol of another faith be removed from a memorial and I would just hope that others would do the same whether they agree with that faith or not.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:08 AM

7,943 posts, read 3,193,894 times
Quote:
There are crosses inscribed on the majority of headstones in Arlington in plane view of the public on public property paid for by the public. This is no different. Hopefully one can tell a difference between having a religious view imposed on you and honoring someone who died in service.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:06 AM

5,122 posts, read 3,884,064 times
Quote:
Having a cross on a memorial site is not propoganda; people telling you you need to be religious. We see crosses and flowers on the side of the highway what feels like every 20 miles. Its a personal way of remembering the victim, not an advertisement to go to church.

It should bother a person more that someone else recently died there rather than that there is a simple cross there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or