U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2016, 10:28 AM

2,009 posts, read 2,086,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
They do?
Normally it's the largest city in a state, occasionally this is the capitol but more often than not it's another city, in SC, I'd say the largest slice of the pie is put into Columbia, to be fair though Columbia is a few major highways converging from 5 directions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 10:59 AM

3,058 posts, read 1,752,467 times
Quote:
Municipal population is about the worst metric to use in comparing places. By that logic, Montgomery is in a higher tier than Columbia, Charleston, and Greenville as its municipal population is larger than any city in SC. Using MSA population, which is a MUCH better indicator, both Montgomery and Florence are in the 200-400K range....not drastically far apart. Montgomery is much closer to Florence in size in that respect. Even taking Montgomery out of the equation, you still have those other small towns that have large plants so my overall point still stands.
Seriously, you don't think there's much difference between 374K and 193K? It's almost twice the size.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:32 AM

29,643 posts, read 27,093,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Normally it's the largest city in a state, occasionally this is the capitol but more often than not it's another city, in SC, I'd say the largest slice of the pie is put into Columbia, to be fair though Columbia is a few major highways converging from 5 directions.
Not sure about that...Charleston has a pretty strong argument with the port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Seriously, you don't think there's much difference between 374K and 193K? It's almost twice the size.
Florence's MSA is 206K and as small metros, there's really not much difference there; they are both in the same size category more or less, especially since the point of comparison was Columbia, Charleston, and Greenville. Florence is much closer in size to Montgomery than the Big Three.

So again, to reiterate the point, with auto plants in Montgomery, West Point, and Blue Springs, it's pretty obvious that size wouldn't be any sort of hindrance to Florence landing a major manufacturer.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:18 PM

2,009 posts, read 2,086,007 times
Quote:
Not sure about that...Charleston has a pretty strong argument with the port.
Ya, and Charleston does get a good bit of money specifically for the port, getting much beyond that though is very hard. Though I suppose it's normal where the county pays for up to half of the total for road projects cities chip in a bit and then the state/federal covers the last bit?

Old 04-23-2016, 04:05 PM

29,643 posts, read 27,093,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc450 View Post
I agree....Montgomery is close to 100% larger than Florence, by any measure, that is considerable.
Actually it's just a bit over 80% larger, and both are small metros; we're not talking about the difference between Jacksonville, FL and Columbia here. And again, the point is missed by focusing on Montgomery to the exclusion of West Point and Blue Springs. One metro not much bigger than Florence and two that are considerably smaller (they don't even have metros) have major auto manufacturers so insisting that Florence is too small for one on that basis doesn't really jibe with facts. Same goes for your argument that Florence couldn't land one based on its economic history.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:33 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,047,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Ya, and Charleston does get a good bit of money specifically for the port, getting much beyond that though is very hard. Though I suppose it's normal where the county pays for up to half of the total for road projects cities chip in a bit and then the state/federal covers the last bit?
Lets not forget the important point ... the port in Charleston makes a profit.... and not an unsubstantial one
... and supports industry throughout the state.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:14 PM

261 posts, read 154,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
I literally just laughed out loud in my office!

There is like 5 of each major fast food chain there and it always used to baffle me in college...where basically all we ate was fast food so it was really great for that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Fast food anyone?

SC
At least they choose Five Guys as the notable restaurant. You gotta start somewhere Florence!

Old 04-23-2016, 08:31 PM

3,058 posts, read 1,752,467 times
Quote:
Actually it's just a bit over 80% larger, and both are small metros; we're not talking about the difference between Jacksonville, FL and Columbia here. And again, the point is missed by focusing on Montgomery to the exclusion of West Point and Blue Springs. One metro not much bigger than Florence and two that are considerably smaller (they don't even have metros) have major auto manufacturers so insisting that Florence is too small for one on that basis doesn't really jibe with facts. Same goes for your argument that Florence couldn't land one based on its economic history.
This horse is probably dead, but i'll kick it one last time. Had you left Montgomery off the list, I wouldn't have thought your point strange.

My sister lives in West Point. A lot of politics went into that location for Kia and hey got a lot of discounts. A significant number of textile jobs were lost in the area and getting jobs back was a priority.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:51 PM

9,607 posts, read 13,727,501 times
I think the best figure to go by for the size of a "city" is the "urbanized" area population, since the MSA counts people way out in the country in the farthest corners of the counties involved.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:35 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,003,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I think the best figure to go by for the size of a "city" is the "urbanized" area population, since the MSA counts people way out in the country in the farthest corners of the counties involved.
Yeah I thought the same. I always wondered why it is that Greenville metro area is bigger than Charleston....but Charleston just "feels" much bigger. Not sure why that is but having lived in both and still spend a lot of time in both...if I didn't know I'd have guessed Charleston to be 15% bigger or so. Especially downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina