U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-25-2016, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Murrica
3,065 posts, read 1,757,768 times
Reputation: 2016

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And others have said they see my point and talked about other factors aside from size that play a role here.

Time to move on.
Yes, you should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-25-2016, 01:52 PM
 
29,710 posts, read 27,143,552 times
Reputation: 18245
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Yes, you should.
I already have since you couldn't grasp the point. No need in beating a dead horse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2016, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Murrica
3,065 posts, read 1,757,768 times
Reputation: 2016
And yet, ..................................

You seem to think your opinions are infallible. I beg to differ. Were you to posit such asinine comments in a business meeting, they'd laugh you out the door.

Montgomery, Al and Florence, SC are similar. They are both under 500K.


You have yet to validate your point, other than to state this is a metric and you must accept it. Then, you go one step further and make condescending remarks about someone who calls you on it. I can grasp all sorts of concepts. However, when I note a concept that doesn't hold water, I point it out.

Finally, just to point out the pure absurdity of your point.

Lafayette, LA 490K
Carson City, NV 54K.

Both under 500K. Damn near identical by your (absurd) metric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2016, 05:43 PM
 
29,710 posts, read 27,143,552 times
Reputation: 18245
So now you resort to blatantly lying because you're frustrated over your inability to grasp a simple point. Show me where I ever said that all metros under 500K are identical. You can't and you're only making yourself look foolish by making such preposterous, disingenuous statements. The fact that you made a comparison between the city population of Carson City and the MSA population of Lafayette shows how ridiculously desperate you are. Or do you really believe that, say, Myrtle Beach is in the same general tier as Raleigh because Myrtle's MSA population and Raleigh's city population are around the same?

For the umpteenth time, LET. THIS. GO. It's really not that serious, I promise you.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 04-25-2016 at 05:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2016, 06:05 PM
 
2,009 posts, read 2,087,839 times
Reputation: 397
Looking at Montgomery and Florence from Google map they are pretty similar yes Montgomery looks a bit larger but the general layout of the cities is pretty close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2016, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Murrica
3,065 posts, read 1,757,768 times
Reputation: 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So now you resort to blatantly lying because you're frustrated over your inability to grasp a simple point. Show me where I ever said that all metros under 500K are identical. You can't and you're only making yourself look foolish by making such preposterous, disingenuous statements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Montgomery and Florence aren't very far from each other in terms of size and are really more or less in the same tier having MSAs less than 500K, and I'm not sure what state capital status has to do with it.
Today, I grasped the concept of infinity not truly being the highest number. Very cool stuff. Even before that, I knew everything from 54K to 490K wasn't the same thing. I'd also like to note, that several other posters have stated that your comparison was wrong. So, several people fail to grasp your failed logic, andt we're all wrong. I'd ask Francis Marion for some money back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The fact that you made a comparison between the city population of Carson City and the MSA population of Lafayette shows how ridiculously desperate you are. Or do you really believe that, say, Myrtle Beach is in the same general tier as Raleigh because Myrtle's MSA population and Raleigh's city population are around the same?
381 Carson City, NV Metropolitan Statistical Area 54,521 55,274

That is the listed MSA of Carson City. Look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
For the umpteenth time, LET. THIS. GO. It's really not that serious, I promise you.
So funny. I could care less. I'm just pointing out how important it is for you to be right. You keep telling me to let it go, but you can't yourself. Pot, meet kettle.

And, you are still clueless.

Bye.

Last edited by m1a1mg; 04-25-2016 at 06:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2016, 07:16 PM
 
29,710 posts, read 27,143,552 times
Reputation: 18245
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Today, I grasped the concept of infinity not truly being the highest number. Very cool stuff. Even before that, I knew everything from 54K to 490K wasn't the same thing. I'd also like to note, that several other posters have stated that your comparison was wrong. So, several people fail to grasp your failed logic, andt we're all wrong. I'd ask Francis Marion for some money back.
"Several" other posters? Having trouble counting? One disagreed with it, and another acknowledged that the two are in the same general tier of metros even with the size difference between the two.

For some reason, you think cities/metros that are in the same general tier in terms of size are identical. That's the most bizarre thing I've ever heard. I can't tell if you're intentionally being disingenuous or if you actually believe such.

I never gave FMU any money so I don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:
381 Carson City, NV Metropolitan Statistical Area 54,521 55,274

That is the listed MSA of Carson City. Look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#United_States
Which is still not anything close to an apples-to-apples comparison because the city is the MSA. Can't say I've ever seen anything like that before.

Quote:
So funny. I could care less. I'm just pointing out how important it is for you to be right. You keep telling me to let it go, but you can't yourself. Pot, meet kettle.

And, you are still clueless.

Bye.
You really can't let it go, although I have clearly proven my point that size isn't a detriment to Florence getting a large-scale plant as evidenced by towns that are smaller and one a bit larger having one; it's called a range if you never heard of such. But you can't grasp the overall point because you're stuck on Montgomery and completely bypassed West Point and Blue Springs. Florence sits comfortably among that set of towns in terms of size so obviously that's not a disadvantage--which, again, was the point that was successfully made. Are you able to grasp that simple point? Or will you continue to derail the thread over something so minor and inconsequential in your misguided quest to be right about something today?

When you said "bye" I hope you meant it because you've added nothing of value to the actual discussion at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2016, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Murrica
3,065 posts, read 1,757,768 times
Reputation: 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
"Several" other posters? Having trouble counting? One disagreed with it, and another acknowledged that the two are in the same general tier of metros even with the size difference between the two.
4. Go back and read. Several i a generic term. sev·er·alˈsev(ə)rəl/more than two but not many.

Suddenly, the person who thinks 390K and 200K are similar, is worried about numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
For some reason, you think cities/metros that are in the same general tier in terms of size are identical. That's the most bizarre thing I've ever heard. I can't tell if you're intentionally being disingenuous or if you actually believe such.
Huh? Seriously?Those were your words, not mine. are really more or less in the same tier having MSAs less than 500K You said that, not me. I'm not stupid. I can see that the difference between 200K and 390K is almost double. Actually, since you are so worried about precision in numbers now, at the most current number, Florence is about 55% of the size of Montgomery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Which is still not anything close to an apples-to-apples comparison because the city is the MSA. Can't say I've ever seen anything like that before.
Huh? Maybe where you live, you get to make the rules. Not in the big boy world. Say something silly, get called on it. Those words above that I quoted from you were wrong. You just can't admit it. Rather than walking them back, you will change the metrics to which you measure. You told me I was wrong about Carson City. Want to walk that one back?

All you needed to do, days ago, was say: "Yep, including Montgomery on that list was probably silly. But I stand by West Point and Blue Springs." Heck, I would have agreed with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You really can't let it go, although I have clearly proven my point that size isn't a detriment to Florence getting a large-scale plant as evidenced by towns that are smaller and one a bit larger having one; it's called a range if you never heard of such. But you can't grasp the overall point because you're stuck on Montgomery and completely bypassed West Point and Blue Springs. Florence sits comfortably among that set of towns in terms of size so obviously that's not a disadvantage--which, again, was the point that was successfully made. Are you able to grasp that simple point? Or will you continue to derail the thread over something so minor and inconsequential in your misguided quest to be right about something today?

When you said "bye" I hope you meant it because you've added nothing of value to the actual discussion at all.
You haven't proven anything. You attempted a horrible comparison that was called out by multiple people. You, not me, has ratcheted up the rhetoric. (I can define multiple for you, if you'd like.)

You called me a liar. I showed where you posted those words. You don't back down from that. You just move the goal posts.

You said I could grasp your point. Your point sucks.

You say I add nothing to the discussion, but the last 5 pages are primarly you trying to defend the indefensible.

You keep telling me to quit posting. Why not you? Are you so certain that you must be right?

C'mon, prove me wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2016, 08:24 PM
 
29,710 posts, read 27,143,552 times
Reputation: 18245
This is ridiculous. My point has been proven within the context of the substantial discussion we were having about the size of metros and economic development. Move on dude...just drop it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2016, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
10,338 posts, read 20,588,865 times
Reputation: 2771
I'm so confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:56 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top