U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 10:46 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,054,180 times

Advertisements

Mrytle beach area prices arent bad for a costal area and alot of things to do so people move there.

I dont see a reason why spartanburg isn't included in greenville being that it is pretty close. And most of the time when you think of greenville you think spartanburg.

I dont think florence as a city is at a population lost but florence county includes areas where people dont really want to be.. lake city, tville. People sre most likely moving from those areas. Not necessarily florence but as a city which people are moving there for the cheap cost of living and and decent medical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 08:27 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,512,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Mrytle beach area prices arent bad for a costal area and alot of things to do so people move there.

I dont see a reason why spartanburg isn't included in greenville being that it is pretty close. And most of the time when you think of greenville you think spartanburg.

I dont think florence as a city is at a population lost but florence county includes areas where people dont really want to be.. lake city, tville. People sre most likely moving from those areas. Not necessarily florence but as a city which people are moving there for the cheap cost of living and and decent medical.
It would seem like Spartanburg and Greenville should be the same but most of the industry is in Spartanburg County and they base it all off commuting patterns so it ends up evening out a bit more but you're right Greenville and Spartanburg for all intents and purposes are just The Upstate.

For Florence I think you are right about the city, although they have seen almost no growth it didnt look like they had a loss, they pretty much just stayed the same. I know personally a lotttt of people who have left Florence in the past year. Many of my old friends I went to college with have all left shortly after graduating as did I. Most moved to Columbia or Greenville or Charleston for better jobs than they have in Florence. Hopefully for Florence's sake that changes in the coming years.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:01 AM

6,157 posts, read 9,370,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
lol amen to that!

Where is the fourth one? Hilton Head? I had some friends from NY tell me they love southern food.. And mentioned the likes of Bob Evans and Cracker Barrel.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
It would seem like Spartanburg and Greenville should be the same but most of the industry is in Spartanburg County and they base it all off commuting patterns so it ends up evening out a bit more but you're right Greenville and Spartanburg for all intents and purposes are just The Upstate.

For Florence I think you are right about the city, although they have seen almost no growth it didnt look like they had a loss, they pretty much just stayed the same. I know personally a lotttt of people who have left Florence in the past year. Many of my old friends I went to college with have all left shortly after graduating as did I. Most moved to Columbia or Greenville or Charleston for better jobs than they have in Florence. Hopefully for Florence's sake that changes in the coming years.

Unless you are a teacher, nurse/medical field, or a quality control engineer... the job options in Florence are limited. The area, especially in the City of Florence, is make strides but it is up against some stiff competition both in and outside the State.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
4 Carolinas communities among the nation's fastest-growing | The State

The SC boomtrain is still rolling. Myrtle (2nd), Hilton Head (11th), and Charleston (19th) are back around the same spots as last year. Charleston is 7th in the "large metros" category.

Columbia, Greenville, and York are showing strong numbers as well.

Charleston - 744K (+2.4)
Columbia - 810K (+1.3)
Greenville - 874K (+1.4) (Of course Laurens and Pickens are dragging it down)
Spartanburg - 325K (+1.1)
Myrtle - 431K (+3.5)
Hilton Head - 207K (+2.6)
Florence - 206K (-0.1)

Greenville County's population is estimated at 492K. 500K is going to be eclipsed before you can blink. Richland is estimated at 407K, Charleston near 389K, Horry 309K, Spartanburg 297K, Lexington 281K, York 251K, Berkeley 202K, Anderson 195K, Beaufort 179K, Dorchester 152K.

Whats going on in Pickens County? I believe that Abbeville and McCormick are the only Counties in the State that I have never been to. I only imagine what is happening in Laurens....

Old 04-06-2016, 08:00 AM

5,122 posts, read 3,860,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Whats going on in Pickens County? I believe that Abbeville and McCormick are the only Counties in the State that I have never been to. I only imagine what is happening in Laurens....
Nothing much in Pickens. It's growing, but nothing special. And you arent missing anything with Abbeville or McCormick...if youve seen one rural SC county, youve seen 'em all.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:56 AM

19,964 posts, read 18,827,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Greenville and Spartanburg have large enough populations to the point each is their own metropolitan statistical area. They are united through the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson, South Carolina Combined Statistical Area.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:04 AM

19,964 posts, read 18,827,959 times
Could the 2015 metropolitan statistical area estimates forecast new MSAs? The Hilton Head Island-Bluffton-Beaufort metropolitan statistical area has to be the most recent in the state. Anderson, Oconee, and Pickens counties could combine to form a metropolitan statistical area focused on Anderson, Clemson, Easley, and Seneca.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Growth from Greenville. Powdersville sits on the boarder and Easley is about 10 mins from downtown Greenville.

Also a lot of growth coming from retirees along the lakes and in northern Pickens County.

I think most people forget how close Easley is to Greenville Its closer than Clemson Rd is to Downtown Columbia.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Could the 2015 metropolitan statistical area estimates forecast new MSAs? The Hilton Head Island-Bluffton-Beaufort metropolitan statistical area has to be the most recent in the state. Anderson, Oconee, and Pickens counties could combine to form a metropolitan statistical area focused on Anderson, Clemson, Easley, and Seneca.
If Anderson County didn't have such bulk of population along the boarder with Greenville County it would be its own MSA more than likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina