U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2016, 04:09 PM

3,047 posts, read 1,741,516 times

Advertisements

My dad made a bucket load of money working for Milliken. As did 100s of others. He could be a complete SOB when it came to business, but his gains far outweigh his failures.

You think maybe some of those events tie into the spring game?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 07:08 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,836,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Who decided Rock Hill isn't the upstate? It was when I was a kid living in the upstate.

Jandrew5 is completely wrong about the reason many of those companies (BMW and Michelin for certain), and the GSP airport are where they are. Roger Milliken made those things happen. Milliken was bringing business people into GSP way before any of those companies were there.
1. The Office of Management and Budget, Census Bureau, and pretty much FCC did. The Upstate is the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson Combined Area. I gew up in the Upstate as well and dont ever remember a time any of us associated our region with York County. York (and Lancaster) belong to Charlotte.

2. What are you even talking about? I said the location of BMW was a prime logistical location, giving good access to the airport, rail lines, and is an easy drive for people all over the Upstate radius.

I have no idea why youre bringing up the Roger Milliken guy or other companies.

But thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Rock hill looks pretty up there to me. Looks even more "upper" than Greenville.
Rock Hill is not apart of the Upstate. Yes it is literally "more north" than Greenville, but the boundaries arent that literal. The 10 counties that I listed are. Greenville, Anderson, Oconee, Pickens, Cherokee, Spartanburg, Union, Laurens, Abbeville, and Greenwood.

For one, York/Rock Hill has a completely different area code, and two, a completely different media market. Rock Hill associates with Charlotte, or "Metrolina."

Last edited by Jandrew5; 04-10-2016 at 07:28 PM..

Old 04-10-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennisf View Post
I think 300k for Greenville is a little high.......maybe 150k but not 300k. Greenville and the upstate are a series of small towns linked together. They are not large entities.
If our annexation laws were like our brother to the north, Greenville, Charleston, and Columbia would all shoot way above 150,000.

Yes the Upstate is linked, but Greenville has its own places: Dunean, Judson, Five Forks, Welcome, Powdersville, City View, Sans Souci, Gantt, Taylors, Parker, Park Place, Conestee, Wade Hampton, etc. All these CDP's have Greenville addresses and all act, look, and feel like Greenville. Add them all together and its near 300,000.

Greenville and Greenville County is right up there with Greensboro and Guilford County.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:33 PM

Well, let me begin by just pointing out that you know not of what you speak.

The state of South Carolina thinks it's part of the Upstate. But who are they, right? http://www.sc.gov/government/Local/P...RegionOne.aspx

Secondly, your words, not mine:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
They choose that location not necessarily because of Spartanburg, but because of the proximity to the airport and inland port, which is on the county lines. Quickest way to get German execs to the HQ, and cars on the train down to Charleston.
Why not let your fingers tap out a little Google search of SC Inland port and tell me when and why it came into being. I'm guessing you won't though.

Further, since I was actually old enough to remember all this as it was actually occurring, I know what happened. Unlike you though, I have provided something other than anecdotes.

Finally, if you begin to think you know anything about how Greenville got to be where it is today, and don't know who Roger Milliken is, I doubt that anything else you say is worthy of consideration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Milliken

EDIT TO ADD: One other major note that you probably don't know,

Francois Michelin and Roger Milliken were very good friends. Both were staunch conservatives and anti-union. So when you talk about industry in and around Greenville, you have to thank the man from Spartanburg for one of the largest.

Last edited by m1a1mg; 04-10-2016 at 07:50 PM..

Old 04-10-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennisf View Post
The jury is out on how much Milliken did.......he also held Spartanburg back from getting more professional jobs to keep wages suppressed.

Which brings up a question.......Greenville has made a habit of pilfering Spartanburg companies to fill out vacant/unused spaces.......cH2M was lured to Greenville, Sage Automotive was lured to Greenville and lately Pacolet Milliken. So, with friends like that, should Spartanburg break away from the upstate alliance and starting coordinating development with places like Charlotte? It is certainly within Charlotte's sphere of influence and could sell proximity to Charlotte Douglas.
Spartanburg is dying an ugly death. When you have a guy as strong, powerful, and feared like Milliken, the void is often a vacuum. None of his kids were like him.

At one point, one of his sons was a a monk. Another a nurse.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:14 PM

The 3 basic regions: Upstate, Midlands, Lowcountry, but to the born and raised South Carolinian, it is not that basic. Who in South Carolina actually calls Horry/Myrtle Beach the Lowcountry? Ask them if they are Lowcountry or Pee Dee. Heck I'm sure you will get Grand Strand before you get Lowcountry. Ask Florence if they identify with Midlands or Pee Dee. And ask Greenwood if they identify with Midlands or the Upstate. Ask Hampton if they are Midlands or Lowcountry.

That map is marketing for the state in a simple form for outsiders to get. But we can pull out maps all day long...

From the SCRSC Regions :: South Carolina Society For Respiratory Care, or SCDHEC DHEC: Health Care Preparedness Staff Contacts ? State and Local. Each map is going to say something different.

You say York was Upstate growing up, well Charlotte has also grown up as well. Every person that I have met from York County - and it has been a lot of them - say they are from "Charlotte" or "just outside Charlotte." There have been a few instances where they say Charlotte and I'm like "oh? where in Charlotte, I have family there", and they say "Indian Land"/"Fort Mill"/"Rock Hill." Which we know are SC towns. I must not be alone since one of the Charlotte areas nicknames is "Metrolina." I've never heard anyone, young or old, from York say they were from the Upstate.

But that's just me apparently. But I'm not going to debate you all night long on what Rock Hill is/isn't. Neither of us work for the tourism board, so we're not benefiting. Just call it whatever.

And yet again you take my post out of context and spin it into something else. Someone said BMW was Spartanburg's. I said it's the Upstate's. BMW is geographically closer to Greenville than Spartanburg, but the dominos landed it in Spartanburg County. Yes I was wrong about the inland port, that is relatively new, but the closeness of the airport and other infrastructure was a big draw to that certain location. As mentioned a spot was looked at for Anderson as well, just as the airport was looked at for Anderson when it was being conceived.

I was not taking anything away from mighty Roger Milliken and I never said he wasn't the driving force of anything, so relax.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 04-10-2016 at 08:25 PM..

Old 04-10-2016, 09:00 PM

I've been a South Carolinian since 1961. While I won't argue that the state is no where similar to what it was back then, I was bothered, (Probably more than necessary), by your statement that Rock Hill isn't the upstate. We obviously define by different metrics.

Roger Milliken is crucial to the discussion of how the upstate grew and why. He was Sc's first billionaire. At one point, Milliken was the largest privately owned company in America. He played a big part in the careers of guys like Strom Thurmond and was crucial in the election of Richard Nixon in 1968.

And quit telling me to relax. I'm fully and unconditionally relaxed. From where I've been in my life, discussing issues on the internet is not a stressor.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:43 PM

Well, sorry. Not really my statement as it's an opinion I've formed from growing up around other Upstaters, and meeting people who live and have grown up in York and others parts of the state. Like you said, maybe it was different back then, but I at 22 have never the two associated other than maps in my text books that labeled SC's topographic regions (Piedmont, Sandhills, etc). I know 803 served the whole state until '95 when they made 864. Must be a reason they put the core 10 counties together and left York out. But my comment is nothing to be offended about. Not like I said York might as well be apart of North Carolina, like I've seen some people say.

And thanks for the Milliken history lesson. While I still don't get it, that is not sarcasm. I legitimately did not know that. And just to be clear, I never said the Upstate grew because of BMW. The Upstate has been growing over time for many reasons. Textiles, CU, this little thing called I-85, etc. Many factors have played a part, not just BMW.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:05 PM

If you ever get the chance, read about the guy. He isn't without his detractors, but he was a huge influence in business and politics. He has been credited by many with convincing the Republicans that they could win in the South, which had been dominated by Democrats. He's also the guy who got Nixon in trouble in 1972 due to finance law infractions.

You just have to understand the different worlds we came up in. In the 60, 70s, and 80s, Spartanburg was a business powerhouse. I-85 was lined with multi-national corporations. Milliken Research was doing groundbreaking textile, plastic, and chemical research. It was culturally diverse due to all the out of town managers of the foreign companies.

Most of those buildings are empty or bulldozed now.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
If you ever get the chance, read about the guy. He isn't without his detractors, but he was a huge influence in business and politics. He has been credited by many with convincing the Republicans that they could win in the South, which had been dominated by Democrats. He's also the guy who got Nixon in trouble in 1972 due to finance law infractions.

You just have to understand the different worlds we came up in. In the 60, 70s, and 80s, Spartanburg was a business powerhouse. I-85 was lined with multi-national corporations. Milliken Research was doing groundbreaking textile, plastic, and chemical research. It was culturally diverse due to all the out of town managers of the foreign companies.

Most of those buildings are empty or bulldozed now.
I have seen the Milliken factories all around, but did not know they were from him. It does sound interesting.

And yes you are right. Different time periods. To be fair I should've taken your generations into account more. I'm going by what I've personally experienced. For instance I grew up watching WYFF 4, CBS 7, Fox Carolina, etc. Those aren't available in York nor did they ever mention that area as Upstate or "local news." And I've always associated the Upstate with the I-85 corridor, and I considered who we played in high school sports. I played teams from Pickens, Greenwood, Laurens, Greenville, and Spartanburg. York schools weren't in our region or considered an "Upstate region." That and the fact that they never really associated with us since they have Charlotte right there for everything. No real need for someone from Rock Hill to go to Greenville (excusing mountain trips), while Andersonites, Spartanburgers, Easleyans, and Gaffneyers find themselves in Greenville often.

So yes, I personally feel Rock Hill is not "Upstate SC." To me it is Charlotte area or Midlands, but I understand you grew up in a different age so what you were used to is what sticks. In 2040 Charleston and Myrtle Beach may form a super region, but Charleston will always be Lowcountry to me and Myrtle Beach will not. And then some 22 year old will come on City Data and argue with me that Charleston and Myrtle are together lol...

No hard feelings here, just another ole typical debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina