Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 09:34 PM

11,703 posts, read 24,744,968 times

Advertisements

SC Senate advances plan allowing for $4B in roadwork | GoUpstate.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 10:20 PM

21,017 posts, read 27,164,706 times
If I read the article correctly, the proposal would include $2.2 billion from borrowing. If South Carolina has had surpluses from recent fiscal years, should it be illogical to borrow when funds are readily available?

Old 04-21-2016, 04:51 AM

2,297 posts, read 2,948,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If I read the article correctly, the proposal would include $2.2 billion from borrowing. If South Carolina has had surpluses from recent fiscal years, should it be illogical to borrow when funds are readily available?
I don't think that surpluses add up to more than half that. And probably not even that.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:07 AM

5,701 posts, read 4,657,492 times
We have the third lowest tax in the country. The best answer to pay for our crumbling roads and bridges, plus improve in the many areas that need it, is probably increasing the gas tax. Which will probably never happen.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:42 AM

696 posts, read 1,333,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
We have the third lowest tax in the country. The best answer to pay for our crumbling roads and bridges, plus improve in the many areas that need it, is probably increasing the gas tax. Which will probably never happen.
I thought I read an article recently that stated Haley had said she would approve a gas tax hike for road improvements if it were put on her desk. Can't remember where I read it, but I believe it was a link someone posted on CD.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Increasing the gas tax will receive negative feedback after years of high prices at the pump.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_96SC View Post
I thought I read an article recently that stated Haley had said she would approve a gas tax hike for road improvements if it were put on her desk. Can't remember where I read it, but I believe it was a link someone posted on CD.
A gas tax increase would mean taxes in other areas would be reduced or eliminated. Personally, I would not mind increasing the state sales tax to 7% with that additional 1% specific to transportation needs only.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:09 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,341,561 times
Raise the sales tax and gas tax, eliminate the income tax.

Tennessee has no income tax but does have a "hall tax" -- that is, a 6% tax on interest and dividends, which is specifically allowed by the state constitution. Tennessee also has a 7% sales tax.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:53 AM

696 posts, read 1,333,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
A gas tax increase would mean taxes in other areas would be reduced or eliminated. Personally, I would not mind increasing the state sales tax to 7% with that additional 1% specific to transportation needs only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsNull View Post
Raise the sales tax and gas tax, eliminate the income tax.

Tennessee has no income tax but does have a "hall tax" -- that is, a 6% tax on interest and dividends, which is specifically allowed by the state constitution. Tennessee also has a 7% sales tax.
I would be good with something like that. The money's got to come from somewhere.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:58 PM

5,701 posts, read 4,657,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_96SC View Post
Haley isn't stupid. She can look and see the horrible condition of things here. It doesn't mean the moron's who go to Columbia every year and posture for their constituents will actually do anything though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina