U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 04:38 AM

8,848 posts, read 7,645,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Is Lee Bright the "you lie!" guy?
The You Lie guy was US Congressman Joe Wilson who is the father of SC Attorney General Alan Wilson.

Lee Bright is a SC Senator representing Spartanburg and Greenville. He is extremely right wing and very anti-gay. He introduces some real right wing type legislation. Lee Bright is far from bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 06:13 AM

29,699 posts, read 27,133,604 times
I've been saying for the past few days now that it's amazing that at the moment, SC is looking like the moderate state between NC and GA. And ever since the GOP took over in NC, it's like they've been trying to make up for lost time and introduce every bit of hard right legislation they can think of within the past few years, stuff that doesn't even see the light of day in SC.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:10 AM

2,321 posts, read 4,596,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
You are in a minority on the issue, most people oppose allowing men to use women's restrooms.
You're right. Despite being a native, I find myself to be a minority on most things happening in SC these days.

I agree, if you held a referendum, most folks would oppose allowing men in women's restrooms. The disturbing fact is that if the referendum was whether transgenders deserved to be treated with dignity and respect, SC voters' answer would probably still be no. This is just one more unenforceable law, pushed by a bunch of Bible-thumping bottom feeders pandering for votes. IMO, whether or not a bill is enforceable should be a litmus test for any proposed legislation, otherwise it's just another tale "told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing.". If SC was truly worried about predators, they would have banned the Catholic church long ago, or at least stationed inspectors at the bathroom doors.

I wouldn't write off the impact of businesses that easily. They have come to these states because they found a welcoming environment, certainly economically, but also one that supports their philosophy. It's not the old mill days. Companies are fighting to recruit the best and brightest employers, and a key attraction for these employees is compatibility with progressive ideas. I suspect input of the business world was a significant factor in the veto by GA's governor.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:14 AM

7,898 posts, read 3,147,319 times
I suspect business's threat was the only factor in the veto. I just think it was an empty threat and I don't think they personally cared either. How much progressive thought is really needed to work for Coke? It's kind of a stretch to believe people would turn down a job because a company is in a state that protects religious wedding venues. The economy isn't that great.

Gender specified bathrooms have nothing to do with religion. I know it's a liberal's favorite scapegoat, but women don't like transvestites or any other guy in their bathrooms just because it's because it creeps them out.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:27 PM

1,608 posts, read 2,019,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
The main point of government is to resolve issues like this.
You can't be serious.

The main point of government is to provide for the common defense, protect people from getting murdered or robbed by other people, build and maintain roads and such. . .

Old 03-29-2016, 12:42 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,853,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I suspect business's threat was the only factor in the veto. I just think it was an empty threat and I don't think they personally cared either.
Agreed. All of these companies wouldn't have just pulled out of Georgia (Atlanta). Disney has practically moved into Pinewood Studios in Atlanta, and it is the cheapest place for them to do production now. Like they would suddenly vacate. The only way they'd just pack up and leave is if Georgia stops promising the cheap tax breaks and production labor, like Louisiana did.

It is all PR. Money is the bottom line, and these companies have too much of it invested in Georgia (Atlanta) to suddenly pull out over something like this.

Hopefully the governor vetoed not just because of the companies, but also because this isnt the 1940's.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:58 PM

9,612 posts, read 13,737,189 times
What's going to happen when women who live their lives as men (trans men with female genitalia) use women's restrooms, the ones who look exactly like men I mean.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:03 PM

3,061 posts, read 1,756,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I suspect business's threat was the only factor in the veto. I just think it was an empty threat and I don't think they personally cared either.
The NFL cares. Arthur Blank, who owns the Falcons, and is building a new stadium in Atlanta that hopes to host a Super Bowl, cared. The NCAA which hosts championships in GA, cared. While I agree that businesses would not have just picked up and left, the message was very clear to the Governor.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:57 PM

7,898 posts, read 3,147,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
The NFL cares. Arthur Blank, who owns the Falcons, and is building a new stadium in Atlanta that hopes to host a Super Bowl, cared. The NCAA which hosts championships in GA, cared. While I agree that businesses would not have just picked up and left, the message was very clear to the Governor.
I don't know if there was really an ideological message either. These days I think there's a race to see who can overreact the most whenever this sort of legislation comes around. Keep in mind, nobody cared last year when voter referendums prohibited same sex marriage in most states. It's just a moving target for PR purposes.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:08 PM

7,523 posts, read 3,933,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
You can't be serious.

The main point of government is to provide for the common defense, protect people from getting murdered or robbed by other people, build and maintain roads and such. . .
show me all the women who want men to be allowed to use their restrooms. The NC bill is rooted in womens rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or