Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 05:50 PM

96 posts, read 111,846 times

Advertisements

I currently live in NY and am deciding where I would like to move to a great coastal town near the beach. I don't know nothing about the Carolina's and wanted to know if someone could give me the ins and outs and pros and cons about South Carolina.

I'm single female in late 40's with 2 dogs. I already have a job working from home so that's not a problem.
I don't have any family or friends in the area so I'm doing this solo, me and my 2 dogs.

I make a salary of $81,000/year and would like to know if I could rent either a townhome or small home with my salary and still be able to live comfortably. I am looking for a place that will allow my 2 dogs, possiby a townhome or small home to rent.

I was thinking Myrtle Beach, but I don't know anything about it..

Would also like to know if there is a friendly area where I wouldn't have a problem meeting friends, such as women's group. I would love it if there was a women's welcome group for new comers. Moving by yourself is scary and especially with nobody helping me.

My first choice was to move to Florida but after reading about it the heat and humidity is oppressive everyday and also I read the Florida is one of the top 5 states that have the highest crime rate.

I also love the beach.

I thank you all for giving me information. Truly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 06:02 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Have you ever been to Myrtle Beach and South Carolina, or are you planning to visit soon?

Old 04-04-2016, 08:00 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,841,818 times
I don't think there's any town in South Carolina where you could not live comfortably in a town home on a salary of $81k/year.

Be advised that parts of Myrtle Beach can be very touristy and spring-breaky. Some of the surrounding towns are very nice though.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:38 PM

730 posts, read 774,727 times
If you're able to work from home I'd suggest using VRBO or airbnb to rent and explore for a couple of weeks in a few of the various coastal towns to find what is a fit for you. Just make sure they are pet friendly places with wifi.

Myrtle Beach is a very different vibe from the further south coastal communities. Like already mentioned MB has a lot more party culture feel than a chill in a hammock and read place.

There will also be a noticeable winter weather difference between Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head.

The Hilton Head area also gives you the option of flights from both the Charleston and Savannah airports.

Heat and humidity isn't going to be that(or any) different from Florida for half the year.

Last edited by Clever nickname here; 04-04-2016 at 04:01 PM..

Old 04-04-2016, 03:55 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
How can the answer not be the Charleston area?

Old 04-04-2016, 04:58 PM

5,716 posts, read 4,682,005 times
Charleston is your best bet, but if you have no clue about the area, clever's idea is a good one. Except for the humidity part. South Florida is worse, in my opinion.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:03 PM

Good point that she should explore Charleston as well as the beach front communities before making the move. I'd add Savannah too.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:31 AM

96 posts, read 111,846 times
You guys are great. Thank you for the advice. I never even thought about renting in a B&B or vacation home temporarily.
I will definitely check out Charleston

Old 04-05-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg4me View Post
You guys are great. Thank you for the advice. I never even thought about renting in a B&B or vacation home temporarily.
I will definitely check out Charleston
I didn't write clearly was I was trying to say. I meant that you should explore each of the places you're interested in for a couple weeks each. Not go to them all in a two week span. IMO it takes 10 days or more to start to get the local vibe.

If you really want to do your homework; I suggest doing it in both high and low season to make sure you understand how things change over the year in seasonal vacation destinations.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:30 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
I wouldn't completely write off Florida for just crime rate and humidity. There are pockets of crime like anywhere else which throws off the statistic. Just because South Florida has high crime doesn't mean you're going to get robbed in Celebration or Winter Park.

Humidity is pretty oppressive here in the summer as well. Summer is probably a month or two longer depending on how south in Florida you are. The good news is there's pretty much no winter. Highs in the 70's, no humidity, and little rain until the summer. Everything is still green throughout the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina