U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 04:02 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,264,973 times

Advertisements

They will just mishandle the borrowed money just like they have done with our money. Make no mistake. Roads are in awful shape and have been for years. Unless you live in Florence, the economic epicenter of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 04:26 PM

2,009 posts, read 2,088,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
They will just mishandle the borrowed money just like they have done with our money. Make no mistake. Roads are in awful shape and have been for years. Unless you live in Florence, the economic epicenter of the state.
Ehhh the SC Infrastructure Bank has been pretty damn effective at minimizing costs and maxing what we get, the Ravenel Bridge in Charleston was built under budget and ahead of time after all, the harbor deepening project is also already under budget

Old 04-23-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc450 View Post
Let's hope that the most dysfunctional and outdated interchange in the state gets fixed with this money........I20/I26 needs a major major major fix. It needs to be updated to help the state.
Looks more cohesive than I26/I526 in Charleston

Old 04-23-2016, 08:22 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,759,233 times
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by this but I20/I26 is the most dysfunctional interchange in SC.....it has been the #1 priority for SCDOT for years. The problem.......cost is estimated at roughly $800m.
It absolutely needs to be done. But can you imagine the cluster while they do it?

Old 04-23-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by this but I20/I26 is the most dysfunctional interchange in SC.....it has been the #1 priority for SCDOT for years. The problem.......cost is estimated at roughly $800m.
Assuming I'm looking at the right interchange, this is the one near the Dutch Square mall right? It's a fairly straight forward Clover interchange..... the I26/I526 is a cluster.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:19 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,759,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Assuming I'm looking at the right interchange, this is the one near the Dutch Square mall right? It's a fairly straight forward Clover interchange..... the I26/I526 is a cluster.
Pictures don't explain the mess. It's been that bad since I was at USC in the early 80s.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:15 PM

10,338 posts, read 20,590,982 times
Both areas are terrible but the Columbia one IMO is the more important one that needs something done.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:42 PM

19,961 posts, read 18,803,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
Yes, it is. The cloverleaf interchange has outlived its usefulness as traffic volume has increased.

I think you confused Interstate 126 in Richland County with Interstate 526, which is in Charleston County.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:34 PM

8,776 posts, read 5,612,808 times
Malfunction Junction is a problem (IMHO) almost entirely because of the loop that goes from I26E to I20E. This is where the worst weaving is done and also where most of the truck turn-overs occur.

But I believe it only needs "minor" correction - at least for now. If the above mentioned loop was removed and replaced with a flyover, I think most of the horror would be abated.

Taking a look at google maps, you can see that there is plenty of room to do the changes without severely affecting current traffic or needing to condemn, buy and demolish private property.

If the ground supports it, we could even replace the loop (red) with a shorter tunnel to prevent the unsightly flyover (green). Either way, the sooner they fix this, the better.

I think even more congestion could be eliminated if in addition to - or instead of - fixing this cloverleaf they built a new crossing of the Broad River north of Irmo. This would eliminate almost all of the Terrible "J" (blue) traffic from Charlotte and Blythewood to NW Columbia, that has to add 20 miles to the trip by going from I77S to I20W to I26W.
Attached Thumbnails
 billion in road improvements coming???-malfunction-junction.jpg    billion in road improvements coming???-terrible-j.jpg  

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 04-24-2016 at 07:12 PM..

Old 04-26-2016, 02:29 PM

1,495 posts, read 1,510,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Malfunction Junction is a problem (IMHO) almost entirely because of the loop that goes from I26E to I20E. This is where the worst weaving is done and also where most of the truck turn-overs occur.

But I believe it only needs "minor" correction - at least for now. If the above mentioned loop was removed and replaced with a flyover, I think most of the horror would be abated.

Taking a look at google maps, you can see that there is plenty of room to do the changes without severely affecting current traffic or needing to condemn, buy and demolish private property.

If the ground supports it, we could even replace the loop (red) with a shorter tunnel to prevent the unsightly flyover (green). Either way, the sooner they fix this, the better.

I think even more congestion could be eliminated if in addition to - or instead of - fixing this cloverleaf they built a new crossing of the Broad River north of Irmo. This would eliminate almost all of the Terrible "J" (blue) traffic from Charlotte and Blythewood to NW Columbia, that has to add 20 miles to the trip by going from I77S to I20W to I26W.
I agree with the flyover, but the other major issue they have there is getting traffic from 20E to 126 inbound towards downtown without having to cross two lanes of traffic ramping towards the Airport. As Lexington continues to grow, that has and continues to become more and more a route crowded with commuters in the morning, all trying to get downtown. For the PM commute, its another pain trying to get those Lexington commuters from 126 outbound to 20 west. Here they have to merge out of the exit only lane designated for BOTH 20E and 20W, but the lane only ramps to 20E, so you have to merge over left into the traffic coming on from 26W and then cris cros the merging traffic coming on to 26W from 20E in the cloverleaf.

The interhchange is going to have to be reconfigured to somehow decrease merging and allow flyovers from 126 outbound to 20W and 20E to 126 inbound. Because 277 will lead you from 20W to downtown in the NE, and you can take 277 outbound leaving downtown to 20E, you wouldnt have to do flyovers for that in Malfunction Junction helping with some of the costs.

The other major issue is traffic merging onto 26W from 20W. If they could build a tunnel for a 26W exit to St. Andrews Rd beneath the ramp from 20W to 26W and have that same ramp also exit to St Andrews Rd. allowing folks from 20W to exit onto St Andrews alot of the moving incidents and merging would be eliminated there.

Another easy fix along with these that would cost the amount of a new sign would be to re route the exit for Bush River Rd on 26E to join the exit for 20W and have the exit ramp off on the existing 20W exit for Bush River. This just allows for one less merge in a short space people have to make.

All of these along with your idea for a flyover are the necessities that must be done there soon to make it safe and functional. I think if they were to just do these things for now, it would help the costs, but bottom line, it needs to be done before ANYTHING else in this state. That route, while mainly serving Columbia commuters, also is incredibly vital to the rest of our state in terms of economic development, tourism, growth, and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina