U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-24-2016, 11:08 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
19,983 posts, read 18,915,825 times
Reputation: 5254

Advertisements

I have compiled a list of supermarkets and grocery stores in various formats that are in the Florence County, South Carolina, market as of April 2016:

Supermarket
Bi-Lo (2 stores)
Food Lion (4 stores)
Harris Teeter (1 store)
IGA (5 stores; includes KJ's Market)
Piggly Wiggly (3 stores)
Walmart Neighborhood Market (1 store)

Hypermarket
Walmart Supercenter (3 stores)

Wholesale Club
Sam's Club (1 store)

Limited Assortment/Discount
Aldi (1 store; second store in Florence at Trade Court and North Beltline Drive under construction and projected for summer 2016 opening)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2016, 07:49 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
19,983 posts, read 18,915,825 times
Reputation: 5254
Question Is Publix coming to Florence, South Carolina?

I am hearing speculation Publix is coming to Florence. One store rumored is Bi-Lo #5550, Independence Center, 500 Pamplico Highway, Florence, South Carolina 29505-6012. Another store may be in the works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 08:07 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
19,983 posts, read 18,915,825 times
Reputation: 5254
Question Is Lidl coming to Florence, South Carolina?

Germany-based limited assortment/discount grocer Lidl is speculated to be coming to Florence. It may be considering a site at the northwest corner of West Palmetto Street and West Evans Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 09:56 AM
 
623 posts, read 452,332 times
Reputation: 305
Florence is ready for more grocery stores. The Walmart Neighborhood Market on Cashua Drive is always really, really busy. It won't be long for the nearby BI-LO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 10:30 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
19,983 posts, read 18,915,825 times
Reputation: 5254
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
Florence is ready for more grocery stores. The Walmart Neighborhood Market on Cashua Drive is always really, really busy. It won't be long for the nearby BI-LO.
I think there is a shift of grocery stores occurring in Florence County. Weaker participants have closed stores and exited the market. Stronger participants have remained. New participants are moving in.

Bi-Lo has closed stores throughout the Pee Dee region for several years. I think it has reached the end of its run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2016, 07:06 PM
 
146 posts, read 255,462 times
Reputation: 221
Florence only has 2 Piggly Wiggly stores since the Second Loop Rd store closed about 4 years ago. Their store at the Florence mall is by far the most popular one. Their Cherokee Rd store looks like it hasn't been renovated since 1980, and it's not exactly helping the chains image. I suspect margins are so low there that it isn't cost effective to put any money into the store. I keep expecting it to close, but it remains, possibly because it's the only grocery store within proximity to downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2016, 07:46 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
19,983 posts, read 18,915,825 times
Reputation: 5254
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayRider View Post
Florence only has 2 Piggly Wiggly stores since the Second Loop Rd store closed about 4 years ago. Their store at the Florence mall is by far the most popular one. Their Cherokee Rd store looks like it hasn't been renovated since 1980, and it's not exactly helping the chains image. I suspect margins are so low there that it isn't cost effective to put any money into the store. I keep expecting it to close, but it remains, possibly because it's the only grocery store within proximity to downtown.
Piggly Wiggly has a store in Johnsonville. It is why I listed three stores in Florence County.

All Piggly Wiggly stores in Florence County, once part of Piggly Wiggly Carolina Company, are now independently owned and operated and continue to use the Piggly Wiggly name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2016, 10:45 AM
 
623 posts, read 452,332 times
Reputation: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Piggly Wiggly has a store in Johnsonville. It is why I listed three stores in Florence County.

All Piggly Wiggly stores in Florence County, once part of Piggly Wiggly Carolina Company, are now independently owned and operated and continue to use the Piggly Wiggly name.
Piggly Wiggly's existence mystifies me. There are always much better options everywhere. They survive on being the only location in the area.

The KJ's market in Johnsonville is much nicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2016, 02:16 PM
 
400 posts, read 499,517 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Piggly Wiggly has a store in Johnsonville. It is why I listed three stores in Florence County.
That would give Florence County 5 Food Lion stores and a total of 8 IGA stores with 5 being KJs.

Food Lion:
3219 W Palmetto
3208 E Palmetto
350 N Cashua
2600 S Irby
1307 Second Loop Rd

IGA:
Jim's IGA - Olanta
Hodge's IGA - Timmonsville
Pamplico IGA - Walnut St., Pamplico

KJ's IGA:
Ebezener Rd. - Florence
Pamplico Hwy - Florence
Quinby
Lake City
Johnsonville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2016, 05:33 AM
 
400 posts, read 499,517 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Germany-based limited assortment/discount grocer Lidl is speculated to be coming to Florence. It may be considering a site at the northwest corner of West Palmetto Street and West Evans Street.
Florence City Council passed first reading of an ordinance to zone and annex property on West Palmetto St. that is rumored to be under consideration by LiDL, the German discount grocery chain. The company interested in the property had "sales of $100 billion last year and is expanding with 1,300 locations across the United States."

Source: Florence City Council moves forward with agreement for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top