U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-28-2016, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Murrica
3,061 posts, read 1,756,661 times
Reputation: 2016

Advertisements

Turns out that Greenville is the 13th fattest in the COUNTRY!!!

Report: 4 of America's fattest cities in SC - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Ruh Roh, Raggy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-28-2016, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,523 posts, read 3,933,942 times
Reputation: 2835
i've done ok with my SC public school education as have most of the students I had classes with. This would not be possible if your premise is true that our schools are terrible. The one I went to probably had a 4 or 5 school score if they had those in the 90s.

I think I prefer to leave obesity and health related issues up to people and their physicians. It something that should be between a patient and his physician, and family and friends as warranted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,523 posts, read 3,933,942 times
Reputation: 2835
That is based on the same phone survey. It is not medical records from physicians and obviously any phone poll is going to be a small sample size.

This is straight off the CDC website:

Obesity Prevalence Maps
Adult obesity prevalence by state and territory using self-reported information from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System.

For this to be legit, it needs to be a physician's diagnosis of obesity, not a 3rd party poll . It is the patient's physician who establishes obesity as fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 03:59 PM
 
29,709 posts, read 27,133,604 times
Reputation: 18240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I'm all about bike trails and parks, but it's a stretch to assume that folks are going to give up bacon and fried chicken and get thin because their state out money into bike trails. Its a great perk for people into outdoor recreation to begin with.
You're right, eating habits need to change too. State and local governments can, and do, engage in health education/promotion activities, informational campaigns, establishing farmers markets, etc. towards that end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Murrica
3,061 posts, read 1,756,661 times
Reputation: 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i've done ok with my SC public school education as have most of the students I had classes with. This would not be possible if your premise is true that our schools are terrible. The one I went to probably had a 4 or 5 school score if they had those in the 90s.

I think I prefer to leave obesity and health related issues up to people and their physicians. It something that should be between a patient and his physician, and family and friends as warranted.
You can't differentiate between anecdote and data. You think your experience equates to everyone in SC.

Are there good schools in SC? Absolutely. But not the majority of them.

Obesity is also determined by data and facts, not your personal interpretation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
10,338 posts, read 20,586,840 times
Reputation: 2771
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Turns out that Greenville is the 13th fattest in the COUNTRY!!!

Report: 4 of America's fattest cities in SC - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Ruh Roh, Raggy.
http://youtu.be/-Hfduh7xYc0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,523 posts, read 3,933,942 times
Reputation: 2835
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
You can't differentiate between anecdote and data. You think your experience equates to everyone in SC.

Are there good schools in SC? Absolutely. But not the majority of them.

Obesity is also determined by data and facts, not your personal interpretation.
it is determined by physicians who see patients, not people doing surveys. I think 20 years living in the upstate is more than anecdotal, it is empirical evidence, if I rarely see an obese person. It is possible the 'obese' people are quarantined in the west side of the metro, I don't go over there. True obesity as seen in that linked video is rare. A lot of times being overweight gets conflated with obesity.

It is interesting to see people who went to school in SC beat up on the school system. They say the schools are bad, but not the one they went to.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-28-2016 at 07:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 08:06 PM
 
Location: 352
5,122 posts, read 3,853,143 times
Reputation: 3485
Am I the only one thats not surprised?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,523 posts, read 3,933,942 times
Reputation: 2835
it seems like you are in the majority on here.

how many other states have you lived in. What is your point of reference to conclude SC has more people with severe weight issues than other states.

If I had to assume which states had more obesity, I would think the cold weather states where they can't get outside as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2016, 08:41 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
10,338 posts, read 20,586,840 times
Reputation: 2771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
it seems like you are in the majority on here.

how many other states have you lived in. What is your point of reference to conclude SC has more people with severe weight issues than other states.

If I had to assume which states had more obesity, I would think the cold weather states where they can't get outside as much.
Not really. People in the south tend to eat a lot more unhealthy fried foods leading to obesity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top