U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 05:18 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,933,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Maybe I should have used 'many' rather than most. My point is there are a lot of people who act like there is this stark difference b/t the south and other regions of the country, which was true back in the civil war days but not true anymore, in my view.

Do you think it is true that more people in the south eat fried foods and drink sugary drinks than people in other regions? How do you know that? That seems unknowable to me. It may be true but I don't see how we could determine it.

The fact that the same fast food places and chain restaurants in the south are located all over the country and in some cases the world indicates to me that fried food is not exclusively southern. It may have started off more popular here but once it goes national it not accurate to call it southern.

I grew up in SC, and I rarely eat fried chicken or drink sweet tea or eat grits but people associate these kind of things with being southern.
It is true that obesity is a national problem and not simply a southern pathology. However, like many poor health outcomes (obesity being one), some states fare much worse than others. There is an obvious link between poorer, lower educated states and negative health outcomes. That, in part, explains why you see a disproportionate number of negative health outcomes clustering in certain regions. This is not rocket science. South Carolina happens to be one of these states. Being oblivious and/or ignorant of this only perpetuates the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 05:59 AM

29,748 posts, read 27,173,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Nothing wrong with all that, but I'm very well informed, have access to multiple farmers markets, bike trails, parks, outdoor activities, and have a gym membership. I rarely do any of that stuf and I eat whatever I want. I'm thin because I have fast metabolism not because the state is activly reducing obesity.

Roads the state can do something about, but obesity is pretty much the luck of the draw. As it was mentioned earlier, it's not like it's a communicable disease anyway.
We're talking about the population as a whole. It's great that you take care of yourself but again, obesity is an epidemic that has societal impacts and it's not "pretty much the luck of the draw." Research bears this out.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:06 AM

7,914 posts, read 3,155,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
We're talking about the population as a whole. It's great that you take care of yourself but again, obesity is an epidemic that has societal impacts and it's not "pretty much the luck of the draw." Research bears this out.
Read my post again. I don't really take care of myself. I can, and I know I should, but I'm just lucky I'm not genetically predisposed to obesity.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
It is true that obesity is a national problem and not simply a southern pathology. However, like many poor health outcomes (obesity being one), some states fare much worse than others. There is an obvious link between poorer, lower educated states and negative health outcomes. That, in part, explains why you see a disproportionate number of negative health outcomes clustering in certain regions. This is not rocket science. South Carolina happens to be one of these states. Being oblivious and/or ignorant of this only perpetuates the problem.
I tried to find a correlation between all this data, but came up short. New York is "fatter" than Jacksonville, and St Louis is "fitter" than all of Connecticut and New York. There doesn't be much of a wealth or education correlation. I think pretty much everybody knows what makes you fat and that being fat is bad. Some places are probably more into fat shaming than others. Who knows.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:07 AM

29,748 posts, read 27,173,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Read my post again. I don't really take care of myself. I can, and I know I should, but I'm just lucky I'm not genetically predisposed to obesity.
OK, sorry I kinda read in a rush. You are indeed fortunate and I know many people who have a naturally high metabolism who remain thin without exercising and eating healthy on a regular basis, but unfortunately that's not the case for a lot of people. Also keep in mind that people can potentially be subject to other related ailments without being overweight/obese, such as high cholesterol, heart disease, and diabetes.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:38 AM

7,539 posts, read 3,946,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
Obesity is an individual medical issue. You can associate income and education with it if you want but that has nothing to do with the state. The state they live in is a coincidence.

The only reason to talk about what they state they live in is to blame the state, which does not make any sense. There is a big genetic component in most cases of obesity and the genetic code in a person is not the result of what state they live in.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:40 AM

I always have to ask when I see these clickbait rankings, what is the point of all this? Are we supposed to go running to our mayors and state legislatures demanding what are we going to do to raise our Wallet Hub rankings? We're like only 5 points from really "fit" cities, is that good? What's the acceptable range of this arbitrary unit of measurement?

It would be more beneficial if they threw in some factors like average life spans and average health care spending per capita. This list just reads like a "where the hottest people live" list. As Mutiny pointed out, you can skinny and unhealthy.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:51 AM

I grew up in SC and I remember them talking about the food pyramid and how you need healthy in school back in the 80s. I think any adult is well aware that fast food and sodas and lack of exercise can lead to weight gain. So I don't think it is lack of education in SC about this that leads to obesity in the state. These obese people also have physicians who have no doubt also discussed this with them.

WHen an obese person goes to a physician, it is not likely the physician talks about how many obese people are living in the state vs other states, because that isn't a solution to the health issue.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:03 AM

272 posts, read 158,625 times
At least now we know why our roads are so bad....they're crumbling under the weight of our collective fatness.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:06 AM

there are people who complain about the roads in every state though. Look at other city forums on here and you'll see people not happy with the roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or